PDA

View Full Version : Saslite not seen through Transparency

Johnsongraphix
12-16-2004, 09:24 AM
What do I do? I have a character with eyebrows (using saslite) and he's wearing glasses. my ray tracing is up to 24 optimized and I can't see his eyebrows through his glasses. Clip maps are the same way. My settings must be wrong on something, but i do not know what.
Help.
:o

HeadCheese
12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Saslite doesnt support reflection or transparency :mad:

try using an alpha image map.

Exper
12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
... and Sasquatch support transparency but not IOR!

caesar
12-16-2004, 10:05 AM
... and Sasquatch support transparency but not IOR!

Whats IOR ?

HeadCheese
12-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Index Of Refraction.

Johnsongraphix
12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
That's just great! I can't stand limitations! I thought, and was hoping, this one was all my fault. I hope those Sasquatch people are working on that. That makes me recoinsider purchasing the pro version. That's seems to be a big downfall to me. (no Refraction, geesh) I'm sure everyone has had thier voice on that one by now. So... here's mine, "That really bites!" So...back to the clip maps.

:) Thank's for the info!

Digital Junkie
12-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm not clear as to whether or not you are using Saslite, or Sasquatch, but I think what the answer is that Saslite will not render through a transparency. Sasquatch however will. I'm sorry I dont have more info on the subject but about six months ago I encountered the same problem. I'm not sure what setting has to be changed (I just cant remember) but it does work. I'm sure if you did some research you'll be able to find it. Anyway here's some pics, both rendered with Sasquatch, the top rendered out with the transparency prob while the bottom has the issue fixed. Hope this sheds at least a little lite

hrgiger
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
He said he was using saslite.

Yes, saslite does not render through trasparent surfaces but the full version of sasquatch does. To get it to render in sasquatch, you simply have to set the index refraction above 1.0. However, neither one of them will show up in reflections because they are pixel filters and not integrated into the rendering engine.

That makes me recoinsider purchasing the pro version.

Which pretty much explains the reason why there are these limitations in sasquatch lite.

Silkrooster
12-19-2004, 07:26 PM
I have not tried it yet, but I would think it would be possible to do a two pass render. Hide the glasses render the image, then render just the glasses and apply an alpha to the glasses then merge them together either in Lightwave or a photo editor.
Silk

spud_q
12-19-2004, 10:23 PM
So Sasquatch can do raytraced reflections, Does anyone know how to set it up. I have a buddy who is working with the full Sasquatch and well we just figured that reflections were impossible. If anybody knows how to set it up please let me know.

-thanks

hrgiger
12-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Who said Sas can show up in reflections? Because it can't.

spud_q
12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Makes sence, I could not imagine that It would beacuse it does not have any options to recive raytracing.

hrgiger
12-20-2004, 04:50 AM
It does not receive raytracing because Sas is not a volume, it is a filter that is applied over top of the existing renderer so as far as the scene is concerned, there is nothing there to reflect. It is a post process effect.

spud_q
12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
I guess due to the nature of this thread I just got my hopes up. I have a plug-in from Evasion 3d that is a pixel filter as well, but it collects raytracing. The way it seems to work is to collect all the raytraced surface information and just bend the pixel information and place it into the rendered image. Maybe Mr. Worley can do some heavy hacking to make Sasquatch show up in reflections someday in the future…never hurts to hope. :)