PDA

View Full Version : Animation?

Hollow Earth
12-16-2004, 04:18 AM
How do people feel about the animation tools under LW8?

Just dipping my toe in this version.

From a 2d cel animation background, very familiar with LW, and was wondering whether there was anyway of deepening the available tools. I understand Messiah isnt available for the Mac. Maybe this isn't necessary any more with the latest release?

pooby
12-16-2004, 04:25 AM
What do you mean by deepening?

Hollow Earth
12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
What do you mean by deepening?

well to put it another way, are you satisfied by the animation tools? their ease of use, flexibility etc. can you do the character animation you want with them now?

just curious
:)

pooby
12-16-2004, 05:20 AM
Well.. I wouldn't say that L8 is as good as I'd hoped, but the lack of new features which I was hoping for such as Dynamic parent blending has forced me into developing new ways of rigging with the existing set.

There are some really good new features, like Metalink and Hardlink etc, but I find IK boost to be pretty useless except for applying bone dynamics and animating tails and tentacles. I know some think otherwise about it, but I guess it boils down to what you want to do with it, and for me, it doesn't work.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Lightwave's animation abilities, but everything isn't laid out on a plate for you to use. I think you have to be a bit ingenious to get it to do what you want. (unless you just want to make straightforward FK rigs, in which case it's easy)

I used to use Messiah, in fact some of my work is on PMG's site, but I'm not compelled to get into using that again as Lightwave can do some suprisingly advanced stuff if you push it, and I find it good to keep everything in one program.
In certain respects, Lightwave outdoes Messiah, but certainly not in Open GL speed.

Hollow Earth
12-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Well.. I wouldn't say that L8 is as good as I'd hoped, but the lack of new features which I was hoping for such as Dynamic parent blending has forced me into developing new ways of rigging with the existing set.

There are some really good new features, like Metalink and Hardlink etc, but I find IK boost to be pretty useless except for applying bone dynamics and animating tails and tentacles. I know some think otherwise about it, but I guess it boils down to what you want to do with it, and for me, it doesn't work.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Lightwave's animation abilities, but everything isn't laid out on a plate for you to use. I think you have to be a bit ingenious to get it to do what you want. (unless you just want to make straightforward FK rigs, in which case it's easy)

I used to use Messiah, in fact some of my work is on PMG's site, but I'm not compelled to get into using that again as Lightwave can do some suprisingly advanced stuff if you push it, and I find it good to keep everything in one program.
In certain respects, Lightwave outdoes Messiah, but certainly not in Open GL speed.

Thanks for that pooby