PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Dongle not detected XP HELLLP!

mad_cap
04-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey,
I just purchased lightwave 7.5 from a user who no longer is using it. I
understand the registration process, and I'll be sending it in later.

Here is my issue:
When installing lightwave, it says 'cannot detect hardware dongle would
you like to install it now?' So I install it however it never detects the
parallel dongle. (I put the dongle on while my laptop was off and rebooted
installed the drivers and software, rebooted again, yet still it Lightwave nor
WinXP doesn't detect the dongle.)I even went to Rainbow's website to
download the lastest drivers...still doesn't work.
How can I resolve this issue?
I hate legacy devices!

mad_cap

Phil
04-13-2003, 06:54 PM
You might need to set the BIOS on your machine to assign an IRQ to the parallel port (usually 7) and you may also want to check the parallel port mode. From memory, ECP is what you want to be looking for rather than bi-directional or EPP.

videoblaze
04-30-2003, 08:47 PM
You probably need to download the latest version of the Sentinel dongle driver from www.rainbow.com to ensure Windows XP support for the dongle.

mattclary
05-01-2003, 06:40 AM
He allready did that, Videoblaze. Mad_cap, make sure your parallel port is enabled in the bios. If you go to System Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Ports, do you see the printer port (LPT1)?

mgc3000
05-01-2003, 01:31 PM
1) Troubleshooting:
Try another parallel device in the port. Like a printer. Is it detected? If YES, then your dongle problem is likely a DRIVER issue or an issue with the dongle itself.
If NOTHING is detected in the port, then it's likely the bios stuff as listed above.

2) When installing the driver, install for BOTH parallel AND USB... Try that! I have a USB dongle, but when I install for JUST USB it won't work... I have to install with BOTH in order to get my USB dongle recognized.

mattclary
05-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Well, if you look at your ports as I said above, the absence of an LPT1 port would indicate it's disabled in the bios. A lot simpler than installing a printer.