PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler (370 kb Attachment)

Lewis
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi Guys !

Here is one of my latest renders which I'm allowed to show.

Model is 3D Scan by AcmeDC from USA and i did rest :). I also modeled headlights and taillights ('coz it's not possible to do them with 3D scanner without disassembling lights :)) and Interior but rest was excellent scan. READ credits carefully and you will se that background photos are also credited. Thanks to Cobra and Danilo.

cheers

P.S. Sorry for larger file but i compressed very much but files are BIG in size so i added three renders to one file (original size of each Night render is 2500*1200).

Leprechaun
12-14-2004, 11:10 PM
**** lewis u sure do suck at cars =]. I wish i could model a car..everytime i try i get screwed with the doors. nice job =]

caesar
12-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Not the car only, but the comp too!
Please, more info = fprime, GI, texture, ...?

Lewis
12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks !

Well scene is about 2.5 million polys (full Subds rendered at level 3). Bottom is flat poly wiht front maping.

Only daylight is rendered wiht 40% radiosity and NIGHT shoots have 31 lights in scene placed around car at small intensity - no RADIOSITY. Reflections are from surrounding which is wraped about 270 degrees at that location - Danilo sen't me great photos so i could make wrap for reflections. Textures - nope everything is modeled (whole lights interior, tire threads, brakes..... Only texture is license plates and chrysler logo (just muddle part - rest is pure geometry). Render is full LW - 2500*1200 medium Enhanced AA renderd on 2.8GHz for 4h 5minutes.

cheers

adrian
12-15-2004, 10:25 AM
WOOOWWW!!! Just perfect :)

Adrian.

veljko
12-15-2004, 10:53 AM
looks cool-
are they a part of an anim or just still shots?

JML
12-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Congratulation Lewis , looks beautiful as always

Lewis
12-15-2004, 11:25 AM
looks cool-
are they a part of an anim or just still shots?

Yes and NO :)

night version is Still only due not moving bacground (wouldn't look too ralistic if all part sof scene is standing still while car moves ;)). For DAY version i did made animation about 6-7 seconds how car goes from back to out of screen but didn't have time to finish it nor it looks too realistic without driver in car :). Aslo i wanted soem cameara shaking but that either is not realistic looking since i'd need video background instead just photo so i droped that anim for now. Maybe one time when i buy video camera and try by myslef some camera motion/tracking :). I rarely have any time for personal projects but my render machine was free for few days so i decided to render those.

thanks guys

Lude
12-15-2004, 01:34 PM
very nice, but why doin't they just use a real car?????

Lewis
12-15-2004, 05:42 PM
very nice, but why doin't they just use a real car?????

THEY didn't use real car 'coz this renders aren't part of project. These renders are just my portfolio shots. Model is made for Brochure and rendered in studio white wiht alpha channels and shadows in varous colors and positions (I can't show these) and for poster printing + probably commercial in future. That's why they didn't use real car :). YOu can do whatever you want wiht 3D model and you can shot inmmpossible angles wiht render camera ;). At the end it's always cheaper than real studio shoots and doesn't require big crew.

pixeltek
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Excellent and totally professional job, as usual.

I agree Lewis. Most of the car ads we see nowadays, stills or anims, are all done with 3D-cgi models. They can change locations, lighting, time of day, time of year, and dream up any futuristic scenario and get it done. Also, they can get those models to spin and jam around in the most crazy and hazardous situations without any risk to life or property. Speak, liabilities - their legal departments love cgi. The only thing at risk is the artist's wrist :D . Lastly, color and small trim (options) detail changes changes are typically a snap.

pixeltek
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

antwik-2
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Mama mia that looks great!
You have done a amazing job on the rendering.
I would be so nice to see the animation, is it aviable?

Lewis
12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
pixeltek - exactly - you can change cars color in any time wiht all other good stuff when it's CGI car :).

antwik-2 - nope animaiton is not available for public and i didn't not tryed anim on night shot since there is too many moving elements on background photo. So if car is only thing what moves it would be pretty stupid anim :). If i had VIDEO background then i'd try to animate night shot - othervise no sense in doing it.

cheers

danilo
12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Perfect modeling and rendering,as usual.
If you need 10 sec video of Times square......let me know.
danilo

Lewis
12-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Perfect modeling and rendering,as usual.
If you need 10 sec video of Times square......let me know.
danilo

Thanks man, you've been great help with those excellent photos and i acctualy got an inspiration when i saw them first on forums ;).

Starlost
12-16-2004, 05:12 PM
wowsers looks excellent top notch all the way. yep your right no driver that I can see.. oh and whats with the "wiht" I just couldnt help but notice that it was not a one time typo but consistent heheheh....

Render On!

Starlost

Lewis
12-16-2004, 05:22 PM
wowsers looks excellent top notch all the way. yep your right no driver that I can see.. oh and whats with the "wiht" I just couldnt help but notice that it was not a one time typo but consistent heheheh....

Render On!

Starlost

Heheh "wiht" is pure typo :). My right hand writes faster then i usually hit "I" too soon ;).

cheers

simonnankivell
12-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Lewis, great model and comp!

I would be interested in knowing more about how you modeled and textured the rear lights, I have had a couple of attempts at modeling the rear reflectors for my first car project, but am not sure how best to approach the texturing bump maps
wires and advice would be a great help
:)

Lewis
12-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi Lewis, great model and comp!

I would be interested in knowing more about how you modeled and textured the rear lights, I have had a couple of attempts at modeling the rear reflectors for my first car project, but am not sure how best to approach the texturing bump maps
wires and advice would be a great help
:)

Hi !

How i modeled rear lights - that's easy to explain - You model EVERYTHING what you see on real lights. There is NO textures. it has deepth, all bumps and dents on reflector, cuts on refelctors, lines on glass, bulbs, bulb connectors.... Simply you need to build all parts by geometry if you need real close shots for what this model is built (print resolutions). I had excellent resource materials (50 Hi res photos of just headlight and taillight close ups with rest of car). Theny ou just need to make few surfaces as transparent white glass, transparent red glass and reflector chrome and all those are easy derivated from LWs default surfaces.

cheers

simonnankivell
12-20-2004, 03:53 PM
thanks Lewis, I will get on with my modelling! :)

shaol
12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
DUD! Your my Idol when it come to car modeling. how long did it take you from start to finish. :D

Lewis
12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
DUD! Your my Idol when it come to car modeling. how long did it take you from start to finish. :D

Hi there :)

Thanks for comments but look more carefully at credits - this is not entirely modeled by me. I modeled taillights, foglights, headlights and interior but rest is 3D scan from ACME DC. Modeling those parts required good 25 hours of work and then another 2-3 for surfacing and scene setup :).

Jure
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Great work as usual!
Everything is modeled and renderd perfectly but there's one thing that IMHO just doesn't look right - the night shot composite... if the car is moving then there should clearly be some motion blur or at least light trails which happen when you have your shutter open for a long time on your camera. OTOH if the car is parked then the lights should be a lot more burned out than they are now (again because of the long exposure). That's at least what the background photo suggests.

Cheers!

Lewis
12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Hi Jure :)

thanks for comments but i don't agree with you :)

Car is definately standing still (why would car drive when i'ts not on road ? It's clear (you are first who even mentioned that car is moving) that it's standing on sidewalk :)).

And even if is standing these headlights are pure XENONs (notice they ae blue) what are much less burned than classic headlights. Xenons can give you 40% more light on road and in same time it desn't obstruct drivers from oposite direction. It's much easier to look at xenons when you are driving at night than on normal H4/H7 lights ;).

But it's nice to har comments from you (loong time no hear ;))

Jure
12-21-2004, 03:22 PM
And even if is standing these headlights are pure XENONs (notice they ae blue) what are much less burned than classic headlights. Xenons can give you 40% more light on road and in same time it desn't obstruct drivers from oposite direction. It's much easier to look at xenons when you are driving at night than on normal H4/H7 lights ;).

Well I dunno maybe you're right. But as I said it just doesn't look right to me... But you made me wonder...I'll try to take a snapshot of a car with xenon lights if I find one. :)

But it's nice to har comments from you (loong time no hear ;))
Ditto! Good to see some of your new stuff... Was just visiting your webpage recently and wondered what the heck happened to ya. :)

Jure
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
I hope you don't mind but I made just a quick retouch to show how the lights look more belivable to me.
Btw. didn't your momma tell ya not to leave your car with lights on? ;)

Lewis
12-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Yes I do understand what you think but as i said Xenons doesn't have that bleeding/bloom effect - atleast not much as normal Halogens ;). BTW did you know that one XENON headlight for Mercedes E-class (one with two round headlights) cost 1335 EUR here - just beacuse it's Xenon and have lifetime varranty on bulb ;).

As far as dissapearing thing i was too busy for any WEB updates and you sure know also how PITA is that best works are often under NDA :).

cheers and thanks for these glow tests - i like them :).

Joebob
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
How much of the background did you do? The transition from photo to plane looks seamless. Good job.

Are those lens flares you have on those lights there?

Also, does the 3D scanning capture the surface or just the shape? If you did any surfacing, what settings did you use? I'm wrapping up my first car model.

Lewis
12-22-2004, 01:06 PM
How much of the background did you do? The transition from photo to plane looks seamless. Good job.

Are those lens flares you have on those lights there?

Also, does the 3D scanning capture the surface or just the shape? If you did any surfacing, what settings did you use? I'm wrapping up my first car model.

Hi Joebob !

1. Yes transition from background to plane is seamles (that's the whole idea ;)) and that's easy to achive in Lw. I just mapped bottom plane with FRONT projection of same image as i used for backgorund.

2. 3D scaning gives you just shape in plain GREY and surfacing is made by me after that.

3. Settings for surfaces vary from scene to scene 'coz i often tweak them but key thing is to achieve Fresnel effect in car paint and i do that by adding gradient to reflection channel set to incidence angle.

4. Flares are made in postprocesing since i wanted to tweak intensitiy without need to rerender whole image.

cheers and thanks for comments