PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Demonstrates 64-bit LightWave 3D. with the AMD Opteron(TM)

Kurtis
12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
NewTek today demonstrated the forthcoming 64-bit implementation of Emmy®-winning LightWave 3D. at an exclusive event in Los Angeles. LightWave® 64-bit was shown on an AMD Opteron™ system running Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition beta OS. Currently in beta at a limited number of sites, LightWave's 64-bit port was demonstrated before an audience of film and television visual effects producers, game developers and artists and press at The Highlands Hollywood in Los Angeles, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM PST.

For the complete text of the press release, go to:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/12-14-04a.html

Zarathustra
12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Any plans for a big event showing it off on a 64bit Mac?

Just curious.

Chuck
12-14-2004, 04:57 PM
When we reach a point where we can do that I'm sure we'll plan such an event.

On the Windows side we've had a 64-bit OS for development for more than four years and the overwhelming majority of the work holds good for the forthcoming Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition OS, currently in beta. We've not had that kind of a leg up on the Mac 64-bit project, so yes, we do feel that there is a great deal more work to do for Mac 64-bit development than remains in completing the port to Windows 64-bit. If I am understanding the situation correctly, there are a number of remaining OS issues to be addressed as well for a Mac 64-bit port, even as of the forthcoming Tiger. While the G5 is a 64-bit CPU, Mac OS X is not fully 64-bit at this time. Tiger will allow non-GUI based programs to be 64-bit – but this excludes Layout and Modeler from becoming 64-bit applications until Apple updates the GUI layer to 64-bit.

We do intend to solve those issues that are on our end at best possible speed, as fast as the needed OS changes allow, but there certainly is the possibility that we may not be able to release a Mac 64-bit LightWave concurrently when we release the Windows 64-bit version. That would not be our preference, any more than it would be our Mac users' preference, but it may well be the case given the situation.

mattclary
12-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Good response, Chuck. You should consider making it sticky.

Zarathustra
12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Chuck.

If NT is the only app for awhile that's going to be 64bit, then it's going to be quite a wait, I'm afraid, for Apple to go full 64bit.

What else can run on this 64bit XP OS? Would Opteron's have to do what Apple did and have an OS and a classic OS, in this case standard XP?

WizCraker
12-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Nice to know LW64 is working.

The downside for those who want to move over when Windows XP x64 ships the only way to get it is from an OEM such as Dell. Microsoft has it listed on their site that is the only way. :(

Exper
12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Great! :cool:

The downside for those who want to move over when Windows XP x64 ships the only way to get it is from an OEM such as Dell. Microsoft has it listed on their site that is the only way. :(Unfortunately... Microsoft continues in persecuting the final user and the small companies approaching, year after year, the famous Orwell's 1984 prediction... and the hate against everyone which legally buy their own products it's really strange but aimed in the view of the overbearing strategy which seems to pay! :(

rosferatu
12-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Good ole Lightwave!
As I am taking delivery of my dual Opteron today and saw this thread this morning it really put a smile on my face. I saw on the MSoft site that XP64 pre-release is available for download so really excited about this!!!!!
thanks Newtek!!!
-Ross

Darth Mole
12-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Come on then, Chuck, give us details! does it look different, run faster, have new features, what? If all it can do is access more memory, then it's no big deal, but I presume that's not entirely the case...

Exper
12-15-2004, 03:31 AM
It should run faster... actually LW use 64 cpus in 32bit mode... using them in 64bit mode should provide a boost (reading the press-release they say LW-64 is highly optimized for 64bit).

The bad thing is about XP-64 an the OEM related thing... you can download XP-64... but it seems the Final release will be available only to BIG-OEM companies: hoping Microsoft will change mind switching back to "democracy"!

Matt
12-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Cool news - can't wait to see the benchmarks!

Chuck - NT are obviously in talks with MS over this so why not at least put the suggestion that having Win64 available to all would be a good thing! Maybe show them demographics of the LW user base?

I know it's not really up to NT to try and sway MS's decision, but at the very least it might sow the seed in their mind!

- - -

On another note: how would the 64bit version of LW work in a 64bit / 32bit Screamernet mix? Or would all the connected PCs have to be 64bit? I'm thinking of the age old problem of procedurals rendering differently on different processors.

Cheers
Matt

mattclary
12-15-2004, 04:53 AM
What else can run on this 64bit XP OS? Would Opteron's have to do what Apple did and have an OS and a classic OS, in this case standard XP?

32bit apps will run in a 32bit memory space, just like 16bit apps run on Windows NT, 2000, and XP now. So pretty much all apps will still run on 64bit Windows.

The downside for those who want to move over when Windows XP x64 ships the only way to get it is from an OEM such as Dell. Microsoft has it listed on their site that is the only way. :(

This won't be a problem. You can usually get OEM OSes with a qualifying hardware purchase from Newegg.com (among other places I'm sure). I have gottem OEM items with a $.99 power coupler. Worst case, you buy a spanking new hard drive.

Exper
12-15-2004, 05:13 AM
This won't be a problem. You can usually get OEM OSes with a qualifying hardware purchase from Newegg.com (among other places I'm sure). I have gottem OEM items with a $.99 power coupler. Worst case, you buy a spanking new hard drive.Never seen an hard drive with an OEM's Windows license... let me know the Brand and Model and I'll buy a stock! :D

mattclary
12-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Huh?

What I meant was, if you want to buy an OEM OS, you can usually qualify the purchase by also purchasing some minor piece of hardware, like a hard drive. Who can't use more drive space anyway? ;)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=37-102-153&DEPA=6

tonsofpcs
12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Speaking of ports... Are we going to see a native GNU/Linux port (running on XWindows most likely) anytime soon? (or AmigaOS4 even :))

Zarathustra
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Well if a 64bit OS can still run the other apps that we all have now, then I'm sure Apple will make a full 64bit OS.
They probably didn't anticipate anyone making a 64bit app anytime soon, which makes me ponder what the communication is between Apple and NT. I'm not pointing fingers, just curiously pondering...

mattclary
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
I thought Apple was trumpeting the fact that they had a 64bit computer when the G5 came out? Seems like if they felt it was all that, they would have been working on it more.

Zarathustra
12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Tattoo - I don't know why the UI is 32bit. I'm sure they figured if they wanted a 64bit app to run on the G5, they'd have to make it themselves (at first). So now NT has something (rumored to have been initially made a while ago for the Itanium). As apps emerge, Apple will update the UI and whatever else is needed for them to run. They've had the 64bit machines running professionally for awhile now. The joy of making the computer AND the OS is being able to tweak either to get the best result.

I don't know why there are some companies whose apps work better on PC then Mac. Certainly Apple got tired of that and that was part of the reason why they started making their own apps to show what you can do if you make proper use of the machine. There are companies like Luxology and Blizzard, for example, working well with Xcode

btw - Do you have a Microsoft tattoo on the other arm?

mattclary
12-15-2004, 12:05 PM
LOL! Tattoo.... The plane, the plane!!!!

Nope, no MS tattoo, but a coworker has the MS Backoffice logo (kinda twisty tribal thing) with "Microsoft" spelled out in hex.