View Full Version : An Open Letter to the NewTek Community

Dan Hong
04-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Hello all! I'm finally back in California from a 10 day tour in Las Vegas. Two conventions, one party, and one monstrously great time. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the entire community for making it such a pleasure to use, demo and support this product.
Gargantuan kudos to Andrew Cross and the development team. I've been a notoriously loud booster of the VT[2], and my general impression has been that it could do anything that any of the other systems (ANY of them) could do. The VT[3] raises that bar well above the reach of ALL other systems. Unless your main focus is film finishing or strictly HD, VT[3] is hands down the ultimate tool. Even at whatever stage of beta that the product is currently in. I managed to amaze and bewilder 95% of the people I demoed to at the booth. The other 5% were employees of competing (I use the term loosely), companies who almost managed to keep a poker face.
I'd also like to thank the NewTek staff in Vegas for allowing Dave and I to show this amazing technology. To Paul, Irene, Chuck, Aussie, William, Duece and the rest of the crew and dealers who made it happen, many thanks.
A massive thanks/congratulations are in order to Ted Ruiz and the people who helped make the Toast '03 party happen. It's great to see an event of this magnitude spring up from a couple of Toaster users getting together for a drink. It was great to meet all the people from this forum and users (and soon to be users) from all over the world.
My final thanks is to Tim Jenison and the management staff at NewTek. To Tim, Jim, Donetta, Mike and the whole staff, thank you for maintaning integrity and staying true to original vision of television for the people. Myself, and thousands like me, have managed to make careers using NewTek products. Thanks also for bucking conventional wisdom and staying within the reach of budgets like mine. Schools, churches, and local producers are able to do work that rivals even the largest broadcast facilities. For that, you have my undying loyalty.
Finally, as a challenge to the community, I'd ask that everyone of you arrange to take one of your non-VT friends to a demo. You owe them that much. If you don't have a local dealer or your local dealer doesn't demo, email me. If you put 10 people in a room I'll demo. Let's rock the rest of this year and roll into NAB '04 as the undisputed king of TV.
See ya in Vegas.

Jim Capillo
04-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a plan, Dan.

I plan to be there - in '04 !

04-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I will see you guys in 04 or bust

04-11-2003, 10:58 AM
I'll be there in '04 as well.
Sounds like you had one heck of a great time! You should spend 10 days in Vegas every month I think :)
Anybody doing a demo in the Washington DC area?

04-11-2003, 02:49 PM

It was great meeting you and your (in)famous "VT Logo" cranium!

I think having users such as yourself and others helping demo the new release/beta helped impress some potential buyers. VT3 has some great features. We're getting closer and closer...

Sorry I missed the Mon. nite party (I would have loved to see your anvil case setup). Oh well, next year....

04-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I'd like to second the thanks to the entire NewTek staff. They are some wonderful people who've held onto their dream, and used ethical business practices to somehow overcome several years of a dead platform.

These people have renewed my faith in "Corporate America" and given me my passion back to strongly support such a company. It's hard to have that much confidence and passion anymore.

I also want to thank you and your team Dan. Monday night you again proved to me, that you are more then you claim to be. Thanks for offering and delivering everything you promised to take the Party to the next level.