PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of even more RAM?

Johnny
12-13-2004, 09:05 AM
I have a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 2.5GB of RAM installed. I do a lot of Lightwave, Screamer renders, and FCP, in addition to a variety of Photoshop, 2-D stuff, and web surfing.

Any thoughts on what if any benefit I'd gain from adding more RAM? My hope would be that the machine would have increased capacity for Work, and therefore would be, overall, faster from a widened data path, but not sure this is the case.

Thanks for any insight.

J

toby
12-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Check your activity monitor, you can see how much virtual memory is being used, adding that much more ram should make things better -

Beamtracer
12-14-2004, 01:27 AM
In theory, 32-bit apps and 32-bit operating systems can use 4 gigs of RAM, but in practice most of them can only access 2 gigs of RAM, maximum.

In the light of this, 2.5 gigs of RAM is a good amount to have, until 64-bit software comes out. I'd stay with what you've got. You've got 2 gigs of RAM for Lightwave, plus an extra half gig for the OS to reside in.

Note that OS X 10.3 "Panther" can load multiple 32-bit apps at once, to a total of 8 gigs of RAM. But you'll probably find each of these 32-bit apps can only use 2 gigs of RAM per app.

When OS X 10.4 "Tiger" comes out, it will be able to run 64-bit apps that each can use 8 gigs of RAM.

toma
12-14-2004, 05:17 AM
…Lightwave, Screamer renders…
J

with 4 Gb you can asign each screamer node 2 Gb without paging too much, or use two instances of lightwave to use Fprime with 2 cpu…

toma.

toby
12-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I've seen the system use nearly a gig of ram, if you only have 2.5gb you'd have to quit every other app to make sure you had a lot for Lightwave - I'd think that FCP could use a couple gigs to itself too ~

Ge4-ce
12-18-2004, 04:09 AM
Actually, I have 2.5 gig of Ram as well..

Apps like FCP and Motion or AfterFX require A LOT MORE ram then LW.. They load all the previews in the RAM.

LW, depends on your scenes I guess..

This far, I didn't notice any drawback from lack of RAM.. even with 2 Layout's rendering at the same time.

The activity monitor gave me a big part of green "usable" ram free..

Huge scenes could be a totaly different issue..

Johnny
12-18-2004, 02:54 PM
This far, I didn't notice any drawback from lack of RAM.. even with 2 Layout's rendering at the same time.

The activity monitor gave me a big part of green "usable" ram free..

Huge scenes could be a totaly different issue..

yeah, maybe it becomes an issue as the number and size of image maps grows?

J

Ge4-ce
12-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes.. My scenes did have a lot of polygons, a lot of IK-chaines, and a lot of objects..

But very few Imagemaps.. most of texturing was done by procedurals..

I also rendered at D1 pal..

When you have to make imagemaps for 2K or more, memory will become an issue