PDA

View Full Version : Hi poly count in scene

noyce
12-13-2004, 01:45 AM
I am creating a scene which consists of a large amount of bedroom furniture. The furniture all has rounded handles but at the moment the handles account for more than half the poly count in the scene.

I can't change the style of the handles but the total poly count for ALL the handles (chest,side table,wardrobes etc) is 15,000 polys!!!!!!

Any ideas.

colkai
12-13-2004, 02:33 AM
To be honest, 15K doesn't sound like a great deal at all to me.
Once your scene starts getting over 500K polys you may start to worry. ;)

If you post a wireframe of one of the handles, someone may be able to advise you of how you could possibly refine the shape and reduce polys. But without something to go on, it's difficult to say.

Hervé
12-13-2004, 02:35 AM
depend how smooth you need them, and how far the camera... but if you go for detail... there is no other way than.... lotsa polys... or maybe subpatches, but still, you'll have to put subdivide high and so ... poly-polys...

BTW... 15,000 are nothing these days for nice handles.... espacially a lot of those... :D

Post a render..

noyce
12-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Here is a quick pic. If you don't think 15,000 is alot then i might stop worrying about it. I was just a little suprised how many of polygons in the scene were just for the handles.

http://www.concept-images.co.uk/images/handle.jpg

colkai
12-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Wow!
I'd say that you've gone a little OTT there. Are they subpatcheS? If so, the true poly count will rocket in Layout.
For something like this, I'd be inclined to use Lathe for the profile. If they are pure polys, I can see a few places you couldreduce the amount and with smoothing on, you'd barely notice unless you intended to zoom right up to the handle.

What you could try is setting up a scene with just a handle in it at about the distance from the camera you expect would be your closest shot.
then use quemloss3 to create version of the handle at progressively lower res, (about 75% - 50% per pass). You could then make a judgement on what you could get away with. Naturally, this is dependent on render resolution as well.

If you wish - I could throw together an example of what I mean and post it up for you to check out if I get some time tonight.

colkai
12-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Okay - here's an example I just cobbled together to show how you can affect the poly count.
it's in a Winrar format archive (rar).
Each layers name pretty much says what I did - Lathe tool used throughout.

noyce
12-13-2004, 07:36 AM
That would be great and very much appreciated. :)

The model was produced using the pen and lathe tool. 5 sides were used and then the model was subpatched.

What is causing me concern is the amount of handles being used within the scene. Also,It is for an animation so wherever i can cut down on rendering time the better.

colkai
12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
If you check out my version - you'll se how low you can go - absolutely no need to turn something with so many polys into sub-Ds - For a sub-D version, I'd only use a handfull of polys.
With a smoothing angle on the surface of about 65.5 degrees - these should be more than enough.

colkai
12-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Here's a sub-D version - the final one is 144 polys (patches). It wsa formed from the curve using lathe at 6 segments, then some use of bandglue to remove over-detailing.
Hope these examples help.

Cheers
-Colkai

noyce
12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Thank you very much for helping me out here :)

I have just had a look at both files. Does using supatching increase render time?

Also, the bandglue is a new one to me. I've never used that before,what exactly is it doing.

The second file you sent me with the 145 polycount was superb!

Sorry if i'm being a pain.

colkai
12-13-2004, 10:59 AM
SubPatch can increase render time if you have it set quite high as the renderer has to quantify the object.
Say you have a subpatched object with 50 patches, if your sub-patch level is set to 4, when you freeze it, or when it is interpreted, this will end up with 800 polygons, so inevitably, there is a render time hit, but as to if it is significant, I couldn't say for sure, my guess is it has to be slower than just reading the frozen geometry.
BTW, when I talk about frozen, I mean a sub-patch that has been turned back into polys at the sub-patch level by hitting CTRL+D when in sub-patch mode.

Bandglue is the inverse of bandsaw, where bandsaw would cut a line of polys in two with the default setting, selecting two adjacent quad-polys and hitting bandglue, will make two rows become one. These two tools are absolutely indispenable for me when modelling, (I tend to use both bandsaw, and bandsaw pro, which is interactive, so handy to see exactly where your cuts are taking place. :)

noyce
12-13-2004, 11:15 AM
That explains an awful lot! I use the bandsaw regularly but the bandglue tool seems to have escaped me.

Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I only hope i can repay you some time.

colkai
12-14-2004, 02:23 AM
That explains an awful lot! I use the bandsaw regularly but the bandglue tool seems to have escaped me.

To be honest, it was the same with me, seemed like a "toy" tool until I needed it, now it's a must-have on my menus/shortcuts :)