PDA

View Full Version : UK User group

Pages : [1] 2 3

noyce
12-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi all,

I live in the UK and work as a 3D modeler/Designer for an engineering company during the day but have currently just setup my own company named concept images.

I am in the fortunate position that i can spend as much time as i want setting up my company as i am not reliant on the income yet but would love to make some more contacts here in the UK.

I am a regular visitor to all the forums but find most of the user groups i come across are in the US. I live in Peterborough (about an hour from london) and would love to become involved in some user group activities.

Anyone know of any?

Tilak
12-13-2004, 07:27 AM
I am an animation student here at University of Westminster. This is the first time I am using lightwave for our 3D project and i am loving it. We are about 20+ students who are really interested in Lightwave.

May be we can be in touch with one another so that we can learn more form you. Our tutor name is Sahid and he is pretty good in Lightwave. He does a lot of freelancing stuffs and i bet he knows lots of people.

Matt
12-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Well, I'm based in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, I know of one other LightWave user here (Mark Flanagan - works at Codemasters).

I remember a post quite a while ago from someone asking about a Midlands LW user group, we both replied but never heard anything.

Anyway, we're here!

Leamington Spa (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=430000.734694792&Y=270000.266474518&width=700&height=400&gride=431679.734694792&gridn=265339.266474518&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=200000&out.x=5&out.y=9)

:)

Cheers
Matt

Qexit
12-13-2004, 07:54 AM
UK LW user groups are a bit few and far between. I run one up here in the NW that has recently grown from three members to between 6 and 8 :) I'm just outside Warrington and other members travel in from St Helens, Manchester and over the Pennines in Leeds. One problem with forming users groups is always finding a suitable venue. The NW User group meets round at my house, which makes computer access pretty simple :D I wish you luck finding a group in your local area.

noyce
12-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Yeah it's very difficult. I know the forums are great but sometimes it's nice to have that interaction with other people.

I'm currently working on an animated short and keep showing my friends bits and pieces but the feedback is always "yeah, good". That's not what i really want to hear as they have no real understanding of what i'm trying to achieve and theres no way i'm asking the wife while the soaps are on.

Firestar3D
12-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm based in London... I would be interested in a UG in my area, and yes, I have noticed that UG's in the UK are few and far between.

Darth Mole
12-15-2004, 02:56 AM
I'm based in Bath, down in the SW. Be keen to hear from anyone in the vicinity... Although I do trek up t'Midlands from time to time (my home region).

Original1
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
User groups are few and far between, as for the midlands user group I only got two replys and then ended up working on a contract away from home.

I tried to get something going after Lee's "Learning Lightwave Tour " since there must have been at least a hundred people turned up to that seminar in Bath over the two days, but time tide and work seem to conspire against me.

starbase1
12-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Another London based LW user here...

Are there enough of us to just head for a pub and have an evening talking about graphics? Need not be a full blown member set up, but if 4 or 5, (hopefully more) felt like getting together for a beer and rabbit, maybe January, that would be cool...

Nick

noiseboy
12-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Did someone mention the magic word beer, I'm based in South London, and at the moment January looks quite clear...I might be able to tempt another LW user along too.

noyce
12-16-2004, 10:47 AM
That would be cool if we could all meet up.

pooby
12-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Darth Mole.. our studio is in Bath.

Matt
12-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Another London based LW user here...

Are there enough of us to just head for a pub and have an evening talking about graphics? Need not be a full blown member set up, but if 4 or 5, (hopefully more) felt like getting together for a beer and rabbit, maybe January, that would be cool...

Nick

I'd be up for meeting in London sometime in January, let's do this!

:D

starbase1
12-16-2004, 02:13 PM
I'd be up for meeting in London sometime in January, let's do this!

OK! let's think a little about practicalities.

Living in London I can get anywhere fairly central... I suggest we want a large pub near a big underground station (preferably doing some basic food) - if anyone is coming in from one side of London we could veer that way I guess.

Nick

Dodgy
12-16-2004, 04:24 PM
That's the spirit! Our NW user group is great, a lot of gassing goes on, but we also get to demo and try out different plugins each of us have, and swap techniques.

Maybe if we get enough user groups we could actully all meet up for some sort of convention....

Matt
12-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a plan to me - should be good!

noiseboy
12-16-2004, 04:36 PM
How about somewhere like Soho or Covent garden plenty of places to eat and drink.

Matt
12-17-2004, 07:03 AM
This seems like a good place to start:

Cool bars in Soho & Covent Garden (http://www.visitlondon.com/city_guide/recombrowse?%2Frecommended%2Fpubs_bars=on&pageSize=10&categoryNodeId=2125&areaNodeId=2068&x=20&y=10)

noyce
12-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Perfect! : )

Matt
12-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Do we all have to turn up with a red rose of something to make it easy to spot each other! :)

I have a LW8 sweatshirt I could wear I guess, but don't want to look too geeky! Soho is trendy and there might be some nice laydees around!!! :D

starbase1
12-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I'd suggest the covent garden area - its very close to several tube stations on different lines. If you want a more specific suggestion, the Princess Louise is big, with good beer - a bit over towards Holborn though... Any other suggestions for location?

As for recognising each other, no problem!

Matt will be with his blonde friend, Noyce can leave his shirt at home, and pooby is pretty distinctive! I have put on some weight recently though!
:D :D :D :D :D

What day of the week? How about a friday evening?

Nick

Matt
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Matt will be with his blonde friend

Oh I wish!

Friday is fine with me, then we don't have to rush back for work in the morning!

noiseboy
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
and a Friday is good for me, I'll be wearing a gramaphone on my head...normal behaviour around Covent Garden probably.

12-21-2004, 07:11 PM
My name is Ewan. Based in Brighton & London.

Just got our hands on VT4 for the company, should arrive thursday :)

Based in the music industry, doing visuals for large events eg Glastonbury etc.

background on what we do www.2ci.biz

Hopefully picking your brains quite a bit as im new to lightwave, but have been using max for a few years.

noiseboy
12-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Ewan,what a coincidence I met one of your cohorts backstage at Glastonbury this year ( swapping car park spaces). He told me you were a Max house so does this mean you've added LW to the toolbox or just VT4. The onstage graphics were great BTW.

noyce
12-22-2004, 03:44 AM
Small world : )

12-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Ewan,what a coincidence I met one of your cohorts backstage at Glastonbury this year ( swapping car park spaces). He told me you were a Max house so does this mean you've added LW to the toolbox or just VT4. The onstage graphics were great BTW.

Getting smaller by the min! lol

To be perfectly honest, we haven't really done much in 3d as far as rendering goes, everything you saw at glasto was photoshop / after fx based, although we have our own real-time animation system for basic 3d music generated stuff.

I think that i will be adding lightwave to the toolbox, ive seen what it can do, and i prefer the results from it, but its going to be an interesting learning curve.

cgbloke2004
12-22-2004, 12:54 PM
hmm i'm in london too.

there are actually quite a lot of lw users in london - i work close to where theres a longtime lw house, and with captain scarlet being a minibus ride out from its nearest london tube theres probably few hundred lw artists there screaming for a beer..

covent garden ish gets my vote. i'm very close to all that area/leic sq/piccadily/soho, etc

kopperdrake
12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
London's cool, but I'm another Midlander, based in Derby. Used LW for 10 years, general media, print and games, now a freelancer from home :) I know a few other LWers but not sure they'd want to meet up (maybe one who works in TV over Notts way).

How many in the Midlands? Any fancy meeting up somewhere central there, like Brum or something?

Dunk

Qexit
12-26-2004, 07:58 AM
By adding VT4 to the toolbox, they include LW by default :p The software suite includes a full LW8 license. The only limitation being that you canot add in any third party plugins that have to be registered with a LW dongle, e.g. Worley Labs range, Happy Digital products and Vertibevel. VT3 included a full LW7.5 license and you can opt for a VT4 upgrade with or without a LW upgrade included.

starbase1
01-08-2005, 02:54 AM
OK guys, are we going to go for this?
:o

noyce
01-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Yep definitely! Could be a real good laugh.

starbase1
01-09-2005, 04:22 AM
OK, people seemed happy with a friday evening, so I suggest we go for Friday 21st January. This should give people time to make arrangements if required...

I'm completely open to suggestions as to location, bt I don't think anyone had any alternatives to offer? In which case I suggest again the Princess Louise.

http://www.pubs.com/louiwc2.htm

It's a big pub with lots of seats, and near to several tube stations.

(and those out of London, feel free to make your own plans in this thread).

How many of us are likely to go?

Cheers,
Nick

Matt
01-09-2005, 03:09 PM
21st is cool with me, count me in!

noiseboy
01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
21st ok with me, so long as my wife allows me out, and if enthusiastic hobbiest (Lightwave not drinking) are allowed.

wingwalker
01-10-2005, 05:33 PM
any chance I can pop along to one of these meetings?

I live in Jersey but travel to see my relitives in both manchester and london.

Cant make this one but would be well up for one in a couple of months.

Matt
01-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Of course! It's an open invite to anyone!

Matt
01-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok guys! It's this coming Friday, who's definately in? HowardM if you're reading this - are you going to be able to make it?

Also, out of those coming who hasn't bought 'Inside LightWave 8' yet?

noiseboy
01-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I can make it

starbase1
01-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Yep, I should definitely be there. What kick off time? People happy with the location? How do we recognise each other?

Nick

Matt
01-17-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm fine with the drinking establishment! Also taking Friday off work so I'll be in London most of the day if anyone wants to hook up sooner.

How many are going to be available earlier? I was thinking maybe we could meet at 4pm for those early folks and 7pm for the stragglers! That should give us all plenty of time to get thoroughly tanked up! :)

Oh, on a good day I look something like this!

Matt
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
BTW: Nobody answered my question about 'Inside LightWave 8'! Anyone not got a copy?

noiseboy
01-17-2005, 12:45 PM
BTW: Nobody answered my question about 'Inside LightWave 8'! Anyone not got a copy?

so nobody has answered which means everyone has!
4pm is way too early for me, between 7-7.30 I can manage.

starbase1
01-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Nope, don't have it.

Timewise I was thinking of about 6:30 coming straight from work.

Photo of me is at: http://www.starbase1.co.uk

Nick

3DBob
01-19-2005, 03:53 AM
I'll see if I can be there - sounds like a laugh.

3DBob

Matt
01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Okay guys! Let's get organised! Let's talk numbers, apart from starbase1, noiseboy, (maybe 3Dbob) and myself, who else is definately in, I don't wanna be heading to the big smoke to end up in a pub on my own!

So, let's see a show of hands to see if this is going to fly!

I reckon we need at least 5-10 people to make it worthwhile.

parm
01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Looks like there's room for one more, I'll be there about 6.30 to 7.00pm. Look forward to meeting some other Lightwavers

Parm

JulianW
01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I'll be along too, not sure quite when, probably sometime after six.

JW.

Matt
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
... and then there was one more! cool!

So just to confirm the details so far:

It's this pub:
http://www.pubs.com/louiwc2.htm

Meeting time:
6pm onwards (if you're the first one there try and make some kind of 'LightWave' related symbol for us all to clue in on!)

See you there, can't wait! Should be fun!

:)

noiseboy
01-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Mines a pint of London Pride, should be there around 7ish.

Colin

starbase1
01-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Yep, looking forward to it! One small word of warning, anyone there early might find it a bit busy with people abandoning their offices.
I'll have a black leather jacket, green IBM bag, clutching a LW book, and looking thirsty!

Last one there is a Bryce user!
:p :p :p

3DBob
01-21-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm up 4 it - might be there a little later, having a manic day. Ahhhh the life of a waver

3DBob

EmperorPete
01-21-2005, 03:48 AM
I can't make this one, but I'll do my best to get to then next one, if there is one. Have a good time guys :)

Matt
01-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Okay, reason I asked about 'Inside LightWave 8' is because I have a free copy going (was given a few courtesy copies for writing the ScreamerNet part).

So, first one there that genuinely needs a copy gets one, free, gratis, nada!

I might even sign my Chapter for you! ;)

Hehe!

Jaffro
01-21-2005, 05:09 AM
haha great picture matt! :)

I'd love to make it but only just found out, so like all busy students i'm working and not drinking (there is something seriously wrong with that!) Plus i'm off to cardiff for the wave aid concert tommrow so i gotta pack and stuff :) **** shame tho - hope you guys have a good laff, I hope to see you at the next one!!! :)

Jaffro

Matt
01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Okay guys I'm in London, just posting this message courtesy of the Apple store on Regent Street and their nice free internet connection, thanks Apple!!! ;)

Just about to catch the tube to the pub now, see you all there (hopefully!)

Cheers
Matt

Dickigeeza
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Would have been well up for this but just found this post - hope it went okay, keep us posted if your going to arrange another.

Rich

noyce
01-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi all! How did it go.
Sorry i've not been on for a while but i've been out of work and have had my broadband and phone conncetion at home cut off :( the whole streets phone connection went down for about an hour, i went out to see what was going on and the guy askes "can i check your phone connection mate". I let him in, he chesks the phone and it is fine. The next bill comes in and they have charged me £55 call out. Rotten scum!

Anyway who went? I'm gutted i missed it.

starbase1
01-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi All,
Well speaking personally, I'd say it was a big success, and by the time I left I think it fair to say that we wanted to do it again. There were a few glitches identifying each other, (we must plan better next time!), and I do think the pub was too busy and loud for easy conversation - but the location seemed to suit people, so I'll try exploring another evening, to see if we can get one with a bit more room to sit.

It was very interesting to speak to such a variety of people, I picked up quite a few good tips and things to try. I was little surprised at the Amiga enthuisiasm on show!
:D :D :D

One idea if we do this again - Myself and Matt brought along unwantd LW books - maybe nice if more did this next time, and we swap some stuff?

Thanks to those who said nice things about my web pages, they are rather old now, particularly the LW bits! Must get some more things up there, like the attachments I have given away in conferences here, and presets...

A couple of people asked about the fractals on the web site. The ones I think were meant were made with Xenodream, and are full 3d objects. See http://www.xenodream.com for the software,

or my galleries on:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/Fractal/xeno/index.htm

The latest version will actually export these as .OBJ files, so you can pass them to Lightwave. Obviousloy with objects of infinite complexity, polygon counts can be a problem!
:cool:

Matt, I was talking to you about alternatives to anti alliasing. I was rambling on about the 'Wavefilterimage' image filter. What I find very effective is to use the edge blend funtion. This basicly applies a little blur to areas of high contrast, and s great for the messy fine detail you get in istant objects. I use settings of about 85% tolerance, 3 passes mostly. The effect is like AA, but because only applied to high contrast areas, it does not soften all areas of an image. And you can apply it to an image sequence after rendering! Expect an overhead of a few seconds a frame.

One other resouce I mentioned to a few people,
http://www.archive.org

Although the bulk of the material there is very old, there are entire films there for download, to do with as you please. It also indexes a huge amount of free music. Although most is kitch and wierd, there are some iconic chunks, apollo footage, nuclear tests, and so forth.

It's very clear that with such a huge and complex program, there's a lot we can teach each other! I hope we can do it again!

Cheers,
Nick

cresshead
01-23-2005, 06:07 AM
drat!.... just seen the thread!
hopeyou chaps had a useful time...

would like to get there for next time...or maybe there could be one sorted for the midlands area as i'm nr leices and notts and have a few lightwave users as students in notts...rich d j, craig e and vicky w so would be good to see ya any in that area come together sometime possibly..

stee g :
cgi tutor in notts/melton mowbray and 3dcg artist for saq international's printed publications.

www.cresshead.com

noiseboy
01-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Just thought I'd echo what Nick said. I would certainly be up for doing it again. It was a good social evening. Thanks by the way for the book Nick, the texture chapters were very enlightening, I will bring some stuff along myself next time. It was good to put real faces to avators, 3dbob really does look like action man.

3DBob
01-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I just like to say to all those that came that I enjoyed the techie talk and all, it was a very enjoyable evening with many jokes that only Wavers could find funny. I'm well up for the next meet - Matt and I were thinking maybe earlier on a Saturday and we could go on the London eye for those that havn't done so allready...

Until we meet again - use the spectrum.

3Dbob

lardbros
01-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounded like mucho fun... would be ace to talk to like-minded people and about lightwave rather than some other ones.

Shame i'm WAAAAY over in the west, Devon, and haven't been to london for about 7 yrs!

When i get my big break with a big london studio i'll give you lot a shout. Would love to work down there!

Surely if you all got big lightwave logos tattooed on your foreheads there'd be no problem with recognising anyone!? :D

Steve Reeves
01-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Noyce,

'fraid I don't know of any user groups local to you. I live in King's Lynn so that'd be 2 of us if we could find other people in the vicinity! Peteroborough would be a good base of operations as it could capture Cambridge, Huntingdon, Leicester and so on.

kopperdrake
01-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Argh, and I'm in Derby so that totally rules me out! It'd take half a day just to get to London ;)

CAClark
01-24-2005, 05:35 AM
I'm based in High Wycombe, so might be interested in attending a meeting, depending on work commitments of course.

Cheers!

cresshead
01-24-2005, 06:57 AM
how about setting up a midlands based group meeting?

there seems to be a few around notts, derby, leicester and peterborough?

we could meet up in one of those towns?..though derby is a little hard to get to...maybe make it more central for those south of derby....there's good trasport links to leicester or perterburogh...re car, rail, skateboard and balloon!

Steve Reeves
01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Count me in, I don't mind travelling a little - probably need to be a Saturday or something though.

kopperdrake
01-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah, sounds good cresshead :) Anyone up for a south midlands meet - and anyone know of any decent places to go? Apart from Derby I only really know Birmingham, and a bit of Nottingham (Old Trip etc :) )

Dunk

Matt
01-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi all!

Apologies for the huge delay in replying after the meet, but I've been away from my computer for a few days!

As already mentioned it was really good fun to chat to like-minded people and finding out their LightWave background, also nice to have a face to the avatar too!

Here's a picture of us all in the pub, missing from the photo is starbase1 who unfortunately left before this was taken.

We learnt some important lessons for the next one - mainly; don't meet in such a crowded place! Although, it was too bad, I was there first and spotted starbase1 walking in the door, we then propped up a LightWave book on the bar as a beacon for new arrivals - which worked nicely!

Bob's 'NewTek Beta Force' T-Shirt also helped! :)

Looking forward to the next one!

Cheers
Matt

P.S. JulianW was the proud new owner of 'Inside LightWave 8' if anyone wondered!

3DBob
01-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Feel the love - I laughed at the photo whilst drinking apple juice - it caused me to breathe a little in whereupon I coughed it all over my 4 day old lcd monitor - mmm sticky.

Seriously though why does JulianW have an air con unit as his avatar?

3DBob

parm
01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey, nice photo. Luckily I had no drink near me, or my powerbook would be in the airing cupboard drying out.

Ditto, it was a brilliant evening, talking about Lightwave without having to watch someone slowly lose the will to live was fun.

Definitely count me in for the next one, I highly recommend others to try and make it as well.

Good luck with setting up other groups around the country

Parm

Matt
01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Feel the love

LOL! "There's a lot of love in this room!" :D

3DBob
01-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Shouldn't you be in bed mat!

3DBob

Matt
01-28-2005, 12:36 AM
I was just checking before I went, can't stay away from these forums!!

JulianW
01-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi guys,

yup, it was great meeting up, we'll definately have to sort out getting together again in a while.

3Dbob: I'm pretty sure if you tried having an airconditioner as your avatar, you'd find its actually pretty spiffing... although I have been thinking I might change it at some point,

cheers for the book and posting the picture matt,

JW.

3DBob
01-28-2005, 07:13 AM
That's just too funny - I'm just soooo glad that I wasn't eating curry at the time...

3DBob

bobakabob
01-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Any plans for your next meeting? Mine's a Guinness :D You'd have no trouble spotting me as I really do look like my Avatar :eek:

Aegis
02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I could drag HowardM away from his HyperVoxels for a few beers in the West End - when's the next one guys? :cool:

Matt
02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I did email Howard about the last meet but he never replied so I did think you were working him hard!!!

Chilli
02-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Bugger, just picked up this thread, love to join in next time having missed out.

starbase1
02-15-2005, 04:03 AM
So, it's nearly a month since the last meet - are we going to do this again?
How about a week friday, Thats 25th Feb...

We can put up with the crowds again, or go for somewhere different - I noticed theres a Wetherspoons just around the corner, they are normally huge places...

Nick
:p

starbase1
02-15-2005, 04:05 AM
Oh, and how about more of us bringing along old / unwated LW books and stuff to swap around?!?!

Yours greedily!

JulianW
02-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi,

the 25th isn't so great for me, I've got a few deadlines at the end of february so I'd rather keep it clear in case of the unexpected. The 4th March would be fine though.

As for a venue there's the The Penderelís Oak (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubfinder/details.php?PubNumber=506) just down the road from Holborn tube, if you wanted a weatherspoons in the same sort of area as last time. Its been a while since I last went there but it certainly used to be alright and its fairly large so it shouldn't be so hard to find some room.

JW.

noiseboy
02-15-2005, 07:16 AM
either date is good for me, but the 4th March is probably favorite.

parm
02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Early March would be fine for me as well

Parm

Dickigeeza
02-15-2005, 01:36 PM
4th March is good with me too.

Rich

Dickigeeza
02-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Buy the way any chance anyone could bring a lap top with LW loaded & show me how the bloody hell IK works, I'm okay with stills but can't get my head round this animation side of things???

Prob asking a bit much but if you don't ask!!!

Cheers Rich

3DBob
02-15-2005, 05:03 PM
4th seems good for me - May be able to bring a laptop - but don't ask me much about IK - I've done a bit in my time but I'm no expert.

3DBob

Dickigeeza
02-16-2005, 06:55 AM
That sounds great Bob,

I wonder if it would be intersting for others, if we had little LW workshop for an hr or so, where say each one who attends demonstrates one little tip or technique.

The only ? is weather a pub on Friday night is the right venue. Or does the pub have private room we could use for cpl of hrs, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rich

noiseboy
02-16-2005, 09:00 AM
The only ? is weather a pub on Friday night is the right venue. Or does the pub have private room we could use for cpl of hrs, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rich
a pub is always the right venue on a Friday night. :p

Dickigeeza
02-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Noiseboy your quite right - don't what I was thinking about earlier. Must be going mad. I wonder if the ladies of Greater London will appreciate a hands on demo of IK lightwave style? mmm let me see your bones baby!!

noiseboy
02-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I too know very little about IK, but do know about IPA, and also FPride, sorry LPride, another well known ale. Joking aside I'm sure with a collection of like minded people and maybe a couple of laptops a few well aimed tips could help us on our way. :D

Chilli
02-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I'm up for the 4th and scratching my head for a venue (out of the way large pub in the center of London...mmmm!)
Also CU are running a, what they call Special effects Lightwave Event. The down sides are.
1, Its on a Friday 2, £35. But this is Lightwave, I've spent loads already.

The agenda is:
8.2 new features
Modelling
Building and Texturing
Character Rigging
Building Virtual Studios
Hypervoxels & Radiosity

I've no connection to CU, I'm just passing this on for people who might be interested.

The date is 8th April and before I forget the web site is [email protected]
Hope to see you there

kopperdrake
02-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I like the sound of that - but what's the web address? (That's the email address :) ). Worth taking a trip down to London for :)

Also up for the 4th :D Might have to leave a bit early on the eve to get the train back up North :) Anyone else from outside London fancy training it down?

Dunk

Chilli
02-17-2005, 03:30 AM
sorry, I knew it was to early in the morning.
web site is www.unlimited.com/3ddesign
the email address is for registering.

I also forgot to mention the venue, just off Carnaby st. London.
er.. one other thing, its £50 if you register after 18th March.
(this is just like reading a manual, not quite all the information needed!)

starbase1
02-17-2005, 05:32 AM
That date is good for me too.

I think if we are going to get more people, (which is great!), then we really can't do the same pub again - the wetherspoons round the corner sounds ideal.

It's also fairly easy for anyone coming froom oop north, there are loadds of buses that stop right outside from Euston, (probably Kings X, St Pancras too).

Nick

starbase1
02-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Guys,
I took a look at the Shakespear's Head, around the corner, and it looks like a MUCH better venue. Seriously large!

The best spots look to be ome large round tables at the rear right of the main bar, ideal for a large group of beery techies.

Nick

JulianW
02-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I'm guessing you mean The Shakespeare's Head (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/show.shtml/38/) reviews seem promising apart from the being pack on a friday night, but I'd guess most places will be pretty heaving. The only thing that might make the Penderels Oak less crowded is its not so close to a tube station, but the reviews don't seem so favourable, so perhaps its gone down hill.

I really don't mind which decend on,

JW.

starbase1
02-28-2005, 05:36 AM
So are we on for friday guys?

I plan on being there, (there I assume being the Shakespear's head).

Anyone else coming?

Nick

parm
02-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Yes, I can make it as well. I wonder if it's worth a couple of us getting there a little earlier to bag a table.

It's a bit difficult for only one to hold a whole table. I could get there by five, anyone else?

Parm

Dickigeeza
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm in, but can't get there much before 7pm.

Rich

JulianW
02-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Yup I'll be along too, though probably around 6-7.

JW.

noiseboy
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
I'll get there if I can around 7ish work permitting.

starbase1
02-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I'll probably be there about 6:30.

There should be a steady turnover of people, and its a bbig place, so I hope we can get a table wothout too much trouble.

Nick

Chilli
02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I can make it, where exactly is it?

TheDAve
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi There,

I just happened to be wandering past and noticed this (last time I saw the post a couple of days late - this time I think I've just made it)...

I'm down in Guildford, but should be able to make it up to London on Friday, how long are you likey to be about? - I'll need to get a train up so won't get there till 9ish

DAve

3DBob
03-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm aiming to be there early - and leave early as I have to attend to my girlfriend Fri/Sat.

;)

3DBob

noiseboy
03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Hi There,
, how long are you likey to be about? - I'll need to get a train up so won't get there till 9ish

DAve

Last time I just about managed to catch the last tube home, if you get to The Shakespeares Head and we are not there or you cant find us then call me on my mobile. that goes for anyone.Send me a PM for the number if you want.

Colin

starbase1
03-03-2005, 05:33 AM
OK, to summarise, its friday 3rd march, early evening onwards.
Pub is round the corner from the last time, now its the Shakespeare's Head, a big wetherspoons pub:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/show.shtml/38/

(Link has details and map. And they have wireless net access too! Reasonable priced pub food too.)

It's just south of Holborn Underground, on the east side of the road. Huge place, aim for the area near the large tables, at the rear on the right.

I guess many of us know each other from last time, but wave a LW book or computer mag or something, and everyone keep an eye out for lost looking anoraks!

I'll be there about 6:30 I guess, subject to the vagueries of the boss!

I'll try and bring some old LW training books and stuff along, so if anyone has something to swap...

Hope to see everyone there! Nudge anyone you know who might come, to remind them!

JulianW
03-03-2005, 05:51 AM
I'll point out the slight oops on the date, its Friday the 4th ;)

For anyone who missed the last get together and wants to know who to look for matt posted this picture earlier in the thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17847&stc=1

See you all tommorow,

JW.

noyce
03-03-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm really gutted as i'm not going to be able to make this one either : (
I'm moving house at the moment and it's a complete NIGHTMARE!!!!!! Definitely 100% up for the next one and as an apology i'll get the first round in.

Have a good one!

03-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I'll be there :) that is if no one minds a new guy turning up. I'll be there at 5:30, 6 ish only time I'm ever early is for a pint!

[email protected]

3DBob
03-04-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm really gutted I can't now make this one - I've been really busy - and I must allow time for my girlfriend (you know how it is) this weekend or we are not going to see each other for ages. I did say I was going to bring my shiny new Dell - and install one of my LW licences on it but sadly it does not have a parallel port on it and I have no USB dongles.

I hope you have a great one - And I'll be at the next one

3DBob

Matt
03-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I've been holding back on replying because I didn't want to say I was definately coming and then have to pull out, this week has been extremely busy at work for me too! We leave early on Fridays but as I suspected I didn't leave until 5pm instead of 1:30pm as normal :(

I still have work to do too, sorry guys, but if it goes half as well as the last one those going will have a great laugh.

If anyone is taking a camera they post some photos too?

Have fun guys! And let's keep this going, they are a lot of fun!

Cheers
Matt

Dickigeeza
03-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Great to meet you guys, looking forward to next time, Julien maybe I can get more chance to discuss IK. Nick well done for actually putting a time & date to it. Can you remind me of the name of that fractal based app. Zeno something...

To those who I didn't get a chance to have chat with forgive me. I hope to catch up with you next time round.

Best Rgds Rich

starbase1
03-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Yes, **** fine to meet everyone again, a very enjoyable gathering guys!

Just a thought, but is this thread the best way to organise these pub meets? Maybe we should set up a yahoo group or something like that...

Anyway here's picture one, sorry for the crappy quality guys, I need a digital camera with a better flash!

starbase1
03-05-2005, 03:43 AM
And the second one...

Oh, and Rich, the app was Xenodream,
http://www.xenodream.com/

And the gallery you missed can be found via
Xeno gallery (http://www.starbase1.co.uk/Fractal/fractaltop.htm)

Nick

Dickigeeza
03-05-2005, 04:46 AM
Cheers Nick,

I'll check it out.

Interesting to note that last night we had modelers, texturing artists, animators, sound technician, coder amongst others.

The ingredents for a colloborative project prehaps? Anyone fancy throwing together a storyboard for next time?

Rich

starbase1
03-05-2005, 07:30 AM
OK, just in case its of any use, I have set up a Yahoo group / mailling list to coordinate this stuff. Might be easier for many to get discussions on next meetings by email direct, also we can file maps to pubs etc in the file areas...

Those outside London, feel free to join in, and use it to set up your own meetings.

The group is 'lwuk', and can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lwuk/

Group Email Addresses

Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
List owner: [email protected]

I don't see it as in any way a suubtitiute for these or any other conference areas, but it might be handy if people want to discuss UK specific lightwave issues.

Cheers,
Nick

TheDAve
03-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Well, It was definatly a good nite out - just a shame I had to rush off to get the last train out of London.

Since the grey matter is not what it was, can people remind me who was who :confused: .

I'm the one in the waistcoat.

DAve

Dickigeeza
03-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Dave I'm the bald geeza in the blue jumper.

Buy the way if you decide to make that plug-in as disucssed with parm I would be most interested help test it. Sounds like something I have needed several times in the past myself.

Cheers Rich

starbase1
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi TheDave! I'm the one on your right! (Black shirt,, only in the first shot).

parm
03-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi All,

I'd say that was another successful and very enjoyable evening, looking forward to the next one. Oh and, TheDave, I'm sitting down next to the daffodils.

Parm

parm
03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi, Matt and Bob,

Really sorry that you couldn't make it to this one. Never mind, hope to see you at the next.

Luckily Nick was on hand to keep up the tradition of posting a photo, by remembering to bring a camera.

Parm

03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Good night hopefully we can do it again sometime soon.

David :)

JulianW
03-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Hi,

thanks to all for a great evening!

I've doctored the photos a bit to help identification hope its useful,

Rich if you want some help with IK drop me a PM and let me know.

JW.

starbase1
03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Nice Job! Oh and Rich, if you want to play with some xeno files, take a look at this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33072&highlight=xenodream

Theres an exported object linked in that thread.

Cheers,
Nick

starbase1
04-13-2005, 05:11 AM
Anyone else begining to feel a little thirsty again?

3DBob
04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Me Me - I am

3DBob

Dickigeeza
04-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi Nic,

Count me in.

Rich

parm
04-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Anyone else begining to feel a little thirsty again?

Funny. Now that you mention it, I do feel a little thirsty. When, Where?

Parm

Qexit
04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
For the record, the next meeting of the NW UK LW User group will be on Sunday 24th April...but we'll be on tea, coffee, soft drinks and bottled water only :)

starbase1
04-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, although the pub we used last time was busy, it was bug and everytone knows where it is so any objections to the same venue?

Friday evenings were also good for plenty of people last time, so I think it makes sense to stuick with that, so the only remaining question is whhich friday, (and will someone elmail all available contacts???)

Nick

parm
04-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Friday 29th April is good for me, so is 6 May.

Parm

starbase1
04-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Shall we go for the 29th? Anyone else?

Matt
04-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Dagnamit! Can't make that, I have a Christening to go to that weekend! I will be in London next Saturday though, meeting up with LightWolf.

Dickigeeza
04-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Would prefer the 6th May as well.

Rich

starbase1
04-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I can do both, so don;t let me get in the way...

Nick

parm
04-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Anyone else for the 6th?

Parm

starbase1
04-20-2005, 12:46 PM
I think we need to nag people by sending private messages to all those who expressed an interest previously! :D

Dickigeeza
04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi Nic & Parm,

I'm still okay for the 6th

Rich

JulianW
04-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi folks,

sure count me in for the 6th. So do you want to PM people nick or shall I?

JW.

starbase1
04-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Hah, I'm feeling lazy! You go for it!
;)

JulianW
04-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I've sent out PMs to people who mentioned they might be interested in meeting up earlier in the thread (and who seemed to be in the right part of the country)

I'm not sure many people have their accounts set up to email them about new PMs though so I don't know how many people will read them before then (if ever)

JW.

Dickigeeza
04-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Apoligies to everyone who has also rec'd my pm, which I undestand says basically the same as Julien's.

See you all on the 6th.

Rich

TheDAve
04-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi All,

Not sure If I will be able to make the 6th ATM, but if I can I will.

Cheers to Dickigeeza & JulianW for the PM.

DAve

starbase1
04-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Actually one thing I'd really appreciate - at the moment I am working on a DVD full of music videos single handed, (!), as I mentioned to some of you guys last time... I'd really appreciate some feedback from you - it's not the kind of thing where I can put chunks up here for criticism, due to the bandwidth involved...

Most tracks are still very scrappy, but I could really use some constructive criticism on how its going so far...

Nick

noiseboy
04-27-2005, 02:29 AM
hopefully I am going to be able to make it next week, work permitting.

Colin

starbase1
05-03-2005, 11:37 AM
OK, this thead is unmanagably big! I'm going to start a new one for the next meeting.
Nick

starbase1
05-06-2005, 12:18 AM
OK, I should be there at 6, (very roughly!).

Hope to see plenty of people there!
Nick

TheDAve
05-06-2005, 02:47 AM
As I suspected, I'm not able to make tonite.

Have a Beer for me! :cool:

Chilli
05-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Yep, I'm there

noiseboy
05-06-2005, 07:27 AM
sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. Work has got in the way. Have fun anyway.

Colin

starbase1
05-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Well a small but dedicated group this time! Sorry more people could not make it, but I certainly enjoyed myself.

Parm, you were asking about poser stuff - I've just put a message with links and pictures up in LW 3rd Party for you.

You were also asking about morph target sequences - in LW 7.5 they come under Morph, multiple target / single envelope. It only takes surfacing from the first in a sequence, and be aware it will look a right mess while you are loading up the separate poses / targets, before you have them all set up!

Once this is done you can envelope the morph with 0-100% taking you through target 1 to target 2, etc.

It does not wrap if you use too high a percentage - but its easy enough to get it to repeat in the grah editor.

So to make my running skeleton, I had four morphs, with each foot fully forward and back, and lifted up. I copied the first pose to a 5th one, so it loops smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the result - though I suspect it would look even better with more poses. (Poser incorporates a rather handy walk cycle designer with sliders for things like head bounce, swagger, slouch etc).

But you can see for yourself on the DVD, about 5 minutes into 'The Aeons Day'.

Nick

parm
05-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info Nick. Morph, multiple target / single envelope. I'm sure I've seen a tutorial about this somewhere. I'll have to look through my folder of tutorials yet to do, it's getting quite extensive.

As ever a thoroughly enjoyable evening discussing our favourite subject, while partaking of our favourite beverages.

Parm

kopperdrake
05-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Sorry I still haven't made a beer-meet yet, I keep promising myself to get down to one sometime. Can any Londoners tell me the best way to get there? Is it best to drive down (from Derbyshire) and park at a tube station outside the centre, then tube it in? Do the tubes stop running at a certain time?

Plus, is it true that beer costs over 50p a pint in the South?

Dunk

starbase1
05-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Hi Dunk,
Yes, it is true that beer is over 50p a pint. But I think you will be impressed when you see an aeroplane for the first time!

Don't drive myself, but what you suggest may well be reasonable - you will be going in the opposite direction to the rush, so the driving shouldn't be that bad...

Tubes stop about midnight, and as we start drinking about 6:30, your biggest problem would be staying upright if you kept going until then! Any reason you don't want to use the trains? The pub we use is not that far from Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston...

There was some talk back in the thread of a more midlands based meet I seem to recall...

Nick

parm
05-19-2005, 04:09 AM
Dunk,

You would most likely be better off leaving your car at, or near the railway station in Derby. As Nick says, it would be very easy to get to the pub where we meet, from St Pancras. Much less hassle than driving, and you'd get a couple of hours snooze on your way back.

It is a long way to travel, but you would be very welcome if you can make it.

Parm

kopperdrake
05-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Aeroplane? Pah - old wive's tale :rolleyes:

Train would make much more sense! I'll see how work goes when the next one pops up (been a few busy weekends at the moment :( ).

Is there anyone out there from the Midlands who'd fancy meeting up? I'm in Derby myself so easy to get anywhere by train really!

starbase1
06-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Anyone else fancy another get together? Been a while since the last one. I can probably fit with any date, so someone wlse suggest one.

I think that fridays worked well for many though...

Cheers,
Nick

Jaffro
06-20-2005, 05:56 AM
I might actually, finally!, be able to make this one as the deadline on my degree is firday! :D Although friday's arn't really great for me, we'll see :) hehe

3DBob
06-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Wont be back in the UK until 6th July. After that date would be good. I hope everyone is keeping well.

3DBob

parm
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, any Friday till mid July is good for me.

parm

noiseboy
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
earliest Friday I can do is the 15th due to Live 8 and other commitments, but don;t let that stop you guys from having a drink without me. :(

Colin

starbase1
06-20-2005, 02:58 PM
OK, shall we go for 6th July then? I think the middle is too far away...

benhaines
06-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Only just found this group! Doh :(

I'll try and make it!

Have also joined the Yahoo group.

Regards, Ben

Chilli
06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
I should be able to make it, but being mid week at this moment can't guarantee,
By the way, liked your vids starbase, talk more when we meet up.

parm
06-21-2005, 10:29 PM
That week would be fine, but Friday 8th would be better than mid week for me.

Parm

JulianW
06-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi folks,

I can make the 8th but would probably prefer to make it the 15th if you can all keep your thirst in check until then.

JW.

parm
06-23-2005, 03:28 AM
A day when most could make it would be best. Shall we try and get some consensus?

Wed July 6th, Fri July 8th? or 15th?

Parm

starbase1
06-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Friday 8th gets my vote...

noiseboy
06-23-2005, 05:20 AM
I could do the 15th

Chilli
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Turns out the girl friend's away so i can do the 8th or the 15th :cool:

parm
07-01-2005, 04:56 AM
So what is it to be then? 8th, 15th? both?

Parm

starbase1
07-02-2005, 06:34 AM
I say lets go for the 8th! Shall we send private messages for everyie in the chain here?

Nick

JulianW
07-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I say make it the 15th its better for me, there's more time for people to clear their calendar in, and for the sending of PMs, and more folks can make the 15th. That is unless there's any pressing reason why you were angling for the 8th Nick,

anyhow, whichever shall we say 7pm in the shakespear's head as usual?

JW.

starbase1
07-03-2005, 06:07 AM
Nah, I can do either, or both!

parm
07-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Ok, the 15th it is. Most people seem to be able make it then. Look forward to seeing all, 7.00pm.

Parm

Original1
07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Ok, the 15th it is. Most people seem to be able make it then. Look forward to seeing all, 7.00pm.

Parm

So would somebody post directions and an address for the venue , a postcode will do

noyce
07-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi all!

Looks like i'm going to be able to make the next one. Really looking forward to meeting you all. And i would imagine you're getting pretty excited at the though of meeting me :rolleyes:

Sorry i haven't made it down before but i've just moved house and it feels like it's taken ages to go through. Im finally in and settled now though. The good old village of Cowbit. It's quite a wild little village with 1 flower show and 2 garden fetes PER YEAR. WOW!

See you all soon!

PS Is it worth me bringing my laptop?

JulianW
07-04-2005, 05:29 AM
So the plan is meet up at about 7pm on 15th July at the Shakespeare's Head (link (http://www.professorharbottle.co.uk/pub/londonwestend/shakespeareshead.html) ) pub in Holborn.

I look forward to see you all there,

cheers,

Julian.

TheDAve
07-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Once again I'm not going to be able to make this one (everyone I know seems to be getting married in July and everyweekend is taken up with weddings/stag nites) - Hopefully I can make next time.

DAve

starbase1
07-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Yeah, bring it along! Good chance to show what you are working on etc... Particularly if its prettier than the Mac laptop that came along before!

starbase1
07-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Are London lightwavers all ok?

Writing this (dsafely) from my office Algate, near one of the explosions. Streets closed, sirens and helicopters all over the place...

Nick

JulianW
07-07-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm not london based, so I'm unaffected.

Good to hear you're safe Nick. Lets hope everyone else has been as fortunate.

JW.

benhaines
07-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Am fine thanks. I'm in Canary Wharf here... lets hope everybody else is.

A few thoughts and pictures at http://www.presetcentral.com

parm
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Fine here also. Been at home all day, transfixed by the days horrifying events.

Parm

Chilli
07-08-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm fine to, I was Oxford Circus based, great getting home, walked for miles until I came upon the right bus, a red bus never looked better.

starbase1
07-11-2005, 01:59 PM
So, are we on for Friday? I'm planning to be there...

Nick

3DBob
07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I should be able to make it.

3DBob

3DBob
07-14-2005, 04:08 AM
So who have we got then?

3DBob

noiseboy
07-14-2005, 04:20 AM
See you there action man ...barring last minute technical problems.

Colin

Chilli
07-14-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm there also barring technical problems from Art Directors who sometimes like to change the brief.

starbase1
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Get them some baggy boxers, (and a screen).

See you all there.
Nick

parm
07-14-2005, 05:47 AM
See you there :thumbsup:

Parm

JulianW
07-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I'll be there too,

JW.

starbase1
07-17-2005, 03:15 PM
**** fine to see everyone again! Not sure what time I left, but judging by the time I got home, it was later than I thought...

Cheers!
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

benhaines
08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Any meeting planned for August?

starbase1
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Nothing yet pencilled in... Normal procedure is I say that I'm thirsty, someone says two weeks time, someone else says three... Anyone wat to start the, er, planning?

:hey:

parm
08-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I suggest a celebratory drink soon after 8.5 appears :D

Parm

starbase1
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I am >>NOT<<< waiting until xmas for a beer! :cry:

parm
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
:lol: me neither, end of the month then?

Parm

starbase1
08-11-2005, 06:25 AM
OK, how does the evening of the 26rth sound? Same place / time as usual?

TheDAve
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
The 26th sounds like a fine plan to me :)

DAve

benhaines
08-19-2005, 03:38 AM
Sounds good, I'm a newbie to these meetings but I'm looking forward to it!

Ben

JulianW
08-19-2005, 06:45 AM
I can't make the 26th, I'll be heading off to bristol for the weekend. How do people feel about kicking this back a week to the 2nd?

starbase1
08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
:cool: I can do either. (Or indeed both!) :beerchug:

Anyone else from the regulars? Parm? Chilli? Noiseboy? :question:

Nick

Chilli
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
26th is fine

Chilli
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
I've just read Julian's note, 2nd is still OK for me after that the month is a bit tight.

parm
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
2nd is fine by me too.

And Ben, the pub where we meet can be a bit busy. But if you carry something with the :lwicon: on it we'll be able to spot you, and there is usually one or two LW books on the table where we're sitting, so look out for them.

Parm

noiseboy
08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
The 2nd of Sept. is better for me too. If 8.5 is released soon then we'll have a little more time to play with it and discuss it over a couple of beers.

Colin

TheDAve
08-20-2005, 09:01 AM
The 2nd is not good for me since I'm away, but it seems better for most people so I'll see you all next time.

Have one for me!

DAve

JulianW
08-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi,

looks like I can do the 26th, so I'm actually happy either way (sorry for the confusion) so I'd suggest we go with whichever most people are happy to show up on.

JW.

mkiii
08-20-2005, 06:11 PM
The 2nd is not good for me since I'm away, but it seems better for most people so I'll see you all next time.

Have one for me!

DAve

It's for the best Dave.
Mixing gingness, beer, travel, and a penchant for loud waistcoats can never end happily.

starbase1
08-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Shame you can't add a poll to an existing thread...

So we are on for next friday, yes? :agree:

Whose turn to send private messages to those who have not joined in recently?
Nick

benhaines
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm definitely coming... just had the thumbs up from the lady :)

I shall post something on Presetcentral.com, hopefully a few more London based people will see it!

Ben :thumbsup:

Original1
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
so is that the 26th or the 2nd?

benhaines
08-23-2005, 01:32 PM
You've got me confused as well now...

Starbase, can you give us the date, time and location, ta ;)

Ben

starbase1
08-24-2005, 12:25 AM
My understanding is that it is this friday, 26th.

There's a map further back in the thread, but its the Shakespeare, very close to Holborn tube.

DogBoy
08-24-2005, 07:25 AM
I should be able to come (it'd be nice to meet other users :thumbsup: )

starbase1
08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, past events have been immense fun, it does seem that LW users are an exceptionally genial crowd!

Bring along any old LW books or stuff, and we swap them around. And if you carry it prominently as you enter the bar, we will try and spot you. Alternatively if anyone would like my mobile phone number, send me a private message and I'll let you know...

Nick

DogBoy
08-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys for a good night out, it was great meeting you all.
Starbase: I've looked at the DVD and I'm impressed. I'll give it another watch and mail you my thoughts. Thanks for lending me it, it's been a real eye opener.

3DBob
08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Arrgh - obviously missed this one - well, it would be great If we could be more sure of the date next time.

3DBob

parm
08-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Never mind Bob there'll be another one along soon. Perhaps with 8.5 to talk about.

As ever, I had a really enjoyable evening on Friday

Parm

benhaines
09-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Sorry I couldn't make. Some last minute changes that prevented me from coming :thumbsdow

I'm really looking forward to next one though.

Ben

starbase1
09-01-2005, 07:15 AM
If Ben or anyone else wants to be included, those who went to the last one have been swapping email addresses, so we can plan the next one without necesarily using this huge message thread!

I am sure it will be mentioned here too, but if anyone wants to send me their email in a private message, I'll be happy to send you an email when we start discussing the best time for the next one.

Cheers, Nick :beerchug:

PS - I hope it goes without saying that email addresses will only be used for these discussions!
:bday:

Bliz
09-02-2005, 11:26 AM
May be we can be in touch with one another so that we can learn more form you. Our tutor name is Sahid and he is pretty good in Lightwave. He does a lot of freelancing stuffs and i bet he knows lots of people.

Is that Shahid Malik you are talking about? If so I didn't know he did freelancing...

DogBoy
09-27-2005, 02:18 AM
So, *cough* when's the next meeting? September is getting long in the tooth, and I'm getting thirsty :D .

starbase1
09-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, after this friday I can't do the next two , (7th and 14th), but if others want to press ahead... :beerchug:

Chilli
09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I can do this Friday or the 21st, Starbase you've got to be there!

DogBoy
09-28-2005, 10:23 AM
i'm wi' chilli :i_agree: (hi, mate, how's tricks?) i can do this Friday or 21st (though that might become tougher nearer the time).
Starbase Nick, you do have to be there :thumbsup:

starbase1
09-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Well... I can do this friday, like I said. But it is going to be a bit quick for anyone else to join in! Maybe we should go for this friday and the 21st?!?!

(And a week Saturday I have an early flight to Moldova - I'll be out there 8 days. Fun as it is to have a night of beer with you guys, I really can't get up at 5 the morning after!)

You sure we aren't all going to be distracted by the new download of LW8.3, any hour now?!?!

Qexit
09-29-2005, 04:41 AM
You sure we aren't all going to be distracted by the new download of LW8.3, any hour now?!?!Hm, I don't know about you...but I downloaded LW8.3 weeks ago. Have you still not got Build 801 ? :D

Sounds like you definitely need a holiday :p

JulianW
09-29-2005, 04:43 AM
This friday isn't so hot for me, so I say lets make it the 21st!

JW.

starbase1
09-29-2005, 05:16 AM
OK, OK... Try v8.5 then!

Julian, I'm happy to do both. I reckoon we need 4 minimum to make tomorrow worthwhile. Sounds like there are 3 of us, if there is a definite 4th by early evening, I'll mailbomb the contact list, and see what we can do...

2 trips to the pub in 3 weeks does not sound excessive to me, so I'm game on for 21st as well...

Nick

TheDAve
09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
I can't make this week either, but the 21st sounds fine.

DAve

DogBoy
09-29-2005, 11:09 AM
looks like a no show for tomorrow. See you all on the 21st then?

starbase1
10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
OK, this friday coming is the 21st, so are we on for some beer and graphics talk?

Nick

DogBoy
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
3 new builds of LW just out, of course we need to celebrate :hey:.
See ya at the pub.

parm
10-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Yes,

Me too.

Parm

JulianW
10-19-2005, 05:58 AM
I'll be there,

JW.

DogBoy
10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Dang, last minute work crisis has stopped me from attending. Maybe next time :thumbsdow

starbase1
10-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Another good one, you missed my panoramic photos!
:-)

JulianW
10-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi folks

as threatened on the night I've posted a message to the LWUK yahoo group about some introductory uk member collaboration.

head on over to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lwuk/ if you want to join the group and be involved.

thanks folks for a really enjoyable evening on friday, comiserations to the guys who couldn't make it, hope you have better luck with the next get together.

JulianW
11-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi,

speaking of getting together do we want to squeeze in another one before the year is out?? I'm nominating the 25th November or 2nd December as possible dates. So is anyone else feeling thirsty yet?

Julian.

Chilli
11-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I can do either

Darth Mole
11-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Are these meets always held in that London?

starbase1
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I think I can do both too - though I was wondering, maybe we should consider moving to the big weatherspoons pub round theconer, towards Chancery Lane?

It's a nother hige one, but I think it might be a lot less busy. Perhaps I could reconoitre?

As for always in London, well, I think the people who go to them are all based in London, though others are welcome, and people have said they would trek in from further afield...

And please, feel free to use the Yahoo group we set up, (LWUK) to arrange meets in other parts of the country.

Nick
:beerchug:

JulianW
11-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi,

@Darth Mole: The people who show up to the london get together's are pretty well placed for london, but I'm pretty sure there are folks all over the coutry so suggest a city and see if anyone is up for it.

@Nick:I take it you mean the The Penderel's Oak. I've been there in the past it didn't seem any better or worse than the Shakespeare's Head. I passed it on the way to the last get together and whilst it was pretty busy it certainly didn't look any more packed so I don't think it can do any harm to try it for a change.

So far there's been one vote for prefering the 2nd on the yahoo group so its currently in the lead.

So who's up for it?

Julian.