PDA

View Full Version : Lost the Dongle...

chrisdude0000
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I cant find my dongle and they want $223.67 for a new one. It is a small little piece of plastic with a number on a chip inside. [edited by the moderators] I have the student edition and $223.67 is about half the price I paid for the whole program and is a total rip off. [edited by the moderators]

Scott Gammans
12-10-2004, 02:01 PM
I'd say $223 is a bargain. Now I'm not saying that you actually did this, but you do realize that from Newtek's point of view you could have given the "lost" dongle to someone else or could be using the "lost" dongle on a second workstation...? If all that they want is $223 for what is essentially a second license of LightWave, I'd say you're getting off easy.

Personally, I wish Newtek would come up with a way to copy-protect their software that wasn't quite so brittle and fragile... I'm always paranoid that I'm going to break or otherwise lose that expensive piece of plastic.

toby
12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Replacing a lost dongle is not a simple thing to them, it's not just the hardware, it has to be set up to work with LW, but mostly, that they have no way of knowing that you've actually lost it. Anyone could get a second dongle then sell it with an install of LW which is $1500 worth of software. They probably tried to price it high enough to discourage that but low enough not to punish honest loss too much, even though that loss is your responsibility.

Replacing broken dongles, when you send the old one back to them, is about $100.

Dislike of the dongle is perfectly understandable, I just wanted you to understand where they're coming from ~

Edit -
sorry didn't mean to be repetitive

riki
12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah I tend to agree, I think you're getting off pretty light.

chrisdude0000
12-10-2004, 08:50 PM
almost all of the other companies have standard cd keys.

[edited by the moderators]

I know why they say they have it but there are lots of other companies in the same situation who have a better setup to make it easier on the people that paid for the software.

[edited by the moderators]

Ge4-ce
12-11-2004, 02:11 AM
I don't know, but in the beginning of my Animation studies, who can afford a full licence of every software you need? That would be 1500 for LW alone. But lett me tell you this...

Once you wanna do serious stuff with 3rd party plugins and keep on the edge with regular updates on both the Plugin-front as on the LW front as on the OS front.. You simply NEED a dongle.. And also to be fairly competitive in an allready tough market.

But lets keep the ethical questions aside for a moment...

[Let's not. Edited by the moderators.]

That's what happens when you buy a licence.. you get a dongle, and registering was a cakewalk with me. Als at Worley's, in a day, everything worked just fine!

Since then I graduatly bought software. By the end of this year, I have everything bought so I can start my own business next year!

And oh yeah.. If you buy a car, and loose your key.. do you complain that the garage asks you money to replace it?? I don't think so!

BeeVee
12-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Look at it this way, your dongle is your passport, driver's licence, student ID - whatever. Having it means that you have the right to travel, drive, study, etc. LightWave is the only 3D app that allows you to install the program on however many machines you like, whether Mac or PC, and just shift the dongle with you to make any version a full one. The plug-ins you purchase are often linked to the same dongle. As for broken ones, if you lived in Europe (and by Bay Area, I'm guessing probably not), a replacement costs you the postage to get it to us - for life...

B

Beamtracer
12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I like the dongle.

I could make a list of other improvements I'd like to see in Lightwave, but the dongle isn't one of them.

As BeeVee says, it allows you to legally install the software on more than one machine, and just plug the dongle into the one you're using.

With other software, you're actually breaking the law when you install it on more than one machine, even if you're the only person using that software.

Also, even if a blank dongle costs $100, as someone said earlier, it may still cost more, as your individual code must be burned into the ROM before it's given to you.

BeeVee
12-11-2004, 04:17 PM
And best yet, if Beamtracer were ever forced to use one of those beastly Windows machines, he could at least take comfort that his own licence of his preferred 3D software could be run on it... :)

B

chrisdude0000
12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
[Edited by the moderators.] a new set of car keys doesnt cost $200 and a car costs a lot more than lightwave and take a little more work to make a new set of keys.

Ge4-ce
12-13-2004, 01:22 AM
a new set of car keys doesnt cost $200 and a car costs a lot more than lightwave and take a little more work to make a new set of keys.

I didn't give a price of the carkeys.. that was not my point.. My point is: you LOST your keys... Basically, you were irresponsible, and nobody else should be "punished" then you... I don't say you did it on purpose and I too would hate the fact that I had to pay this amount of money.. But I would not shuffle the fault in somebody elses shoes..!, Newtek has to put an administrative task on this case, has to buy a new dongle, has to re-register the whole **** thing....has to ship it to you all because YOU (again YOU) lost your dongle... This, keeping still in mind that NT doesn't even know for sure that you didn't sell your dongle to another person, or that eventually your original dongle will show up! Only the sun rises for free man!

Now you're trying to give everyone the idea that LW sucks because of the dongle.. Most of the peeps here are very very satisfied with Lightwave... That's together with the fact that pratically nobody agrees on your dongle-rant, makes that there are no suggestions for other software...

Chuck
12-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Among the major applications protected by dongle, which include a number of 3D applications, our policy for lost or stolen dongles has been the most lenient by far. Most other companies do not offer replacement of lost or stolen dongles. The user has to purchase a new license, plain and simple.

NewTek handles these events on a case by case basis, but in general if a user can provide documentation that the dongle was stolen, then we handle things in a manner somewhat similar to replacement of an out-of-warranty failed dongle. If the dongle is just plain lost, then yes, there is a more substantial fee for replacement as described above.

The car and key analogy doesn't hold up well for a number of reasons, but is just being entirely misunderstood and misused if you think it sets an example of a low expense for lost keys. Making a set of keys is cheap if you are copying an existing set. Getting a car rekeyed if you manage to lose all your existing keys is not necessarily cheap at all. In some cases the locks and ignition have to replaced. I think in some cases a dealer may be able to determine a key pattern relatively easily and do an inexpensive replacement, but that isn't always going to be the case.

A major difference in the situations is that if you find your original set of car keys you don't suddenly have two cars. In that sense losing a dongle is more akin to losing the vehicle, not the keys, and Ford certainly does not provide discounts if you misplace your F-150.

In sum, we make our best effort at being as accommodating as possible in the various kinds of situations that may arise, and in fact we are at considerable variance from the way most dongle-supported applications address such situations.

Enough has been said on this topic and this specific situation, and this thread will be closed.