PDA

View Full Version : Large Area Radiosity Fake?

Alex Attwater
12-10-2004, 09:44 AM
HEY GUYS,
Just a quick question here.....i got this alleyway with ten buidings and it just a simple camera move from one end to the other. I skytraced baked, globe with hdr for radiosity but its entirely to render intesive........telll me something these light rig radi. fakes i read about are they predominately for single objects? could i some how resize or add more lights to use this same method in a 1000 foot alley way? if so would it look much different, would motion blur take my render times back up to where they were at with radiosity. right now i sit at a minute and a half for a f9 with no antialiasing and i need to add a lot more detail and try to get under 2.15 for a f9....what do ya think ? any feed back appreciated

mattclary
12-10-2004, 01:01 PM
No, light rigs aren't just for single objects. I can't answer all your questions, but I CAN suggest you buy F-Prime if you want to render with radiosity quickly.

Alex Attwater
12-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Fair enough, i will definately buy f-prime when finances allow but hopefully (since that will be about the time hell freezes) lightwave x will be out and will have it as a plug in......hey matt tell me this then you come across a tut. or a person that works with such a large rig for the faking that i speak of?.....i have looked at this fake but never wanted to render with it until my scene just started growing and growing hahaha like a wise man once said so many polygons so little time . peace

Red_Oddity
12-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Have you tried using a Ambient Occlusion shader, or have you tried to simply bake your radiosity (unless there are moving objects in the scene this might work)

toby
12-11-2004, 04:00 PM
2 minutes a frame is not a realistic goal - the radiosity look takes a lot of processing power no matter how you go about it, even if you can light well enough to fake it with standard lights. 5 minutes is is not slow but you might have trouble even getting that with good AA and motion blur -

Look in the Content directory for Meni Tsirbas' scene with a dumpster in it. What he's done there is to bake all the lighting into the textures, so that shadows and shading don't need to be re-rendered for any frame of the animation. You can get really fast render times this way, but nothing in the scene can move, and baking all the textures takes a lot of time and processing too.

Other good fakes for Radiosity are Area lights and Backdrop Radiosity.