PDA

View Full Version : LW8 cannot load plugins

Captain Obvious
12-10-2004, 06:20 AM
I've been playing around with Lightwave (8.0) on a friend of mine's Mac. On his user account, everything works fine, but on the guest user account I'm using, most of the plugins can't load. It only finds some of the shaders, for example, and adding some of them causes Lightwave to crash. The guest account has read (and write) access to the entire Lightwave folder, including Plugins and such. Resetting Lightwave didn't help. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I just ask him to back up and delete the entire guest account (and then create a new one and restore backed up data), since it seems to be user specific?

I've tried to reset Lightwave as much as possible, but to no avail.

tonefreds
12-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Yes, I may be having the same problem. I can reload the plugins, but they are not there on the next launch of the app. I am, however, in an admin account. LW 8.0.1.

Captain Obvious
12-10-2004, 06:43 AM
'scuse me for being a newbie, but how does one reload the plugins?

tonefreds
12-10-2004, 07:13 AM
Utilities Tab->Plug-ins section->Edit Plug-ins
Then press Scan Directory
and choose your plugins directory.

Captain Obvious
12-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Wow, that was surprisingly easy! :D Thanks a bundle! I didn't get your problem, though. They remained there even if I quit LW. The crashing stopped, too! Awesome, thanks!

nopictures
12-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm having the plug-in problem as well, only it just started happening. Everytime I load up Lightwave, I have to add all my plug-ins again. This is causing HELL on my production schedule, as it takes any shader plug-ins I've added away. Every time I open a file I have to START FROM SCRATCH! Please, someone out there from Newtek, explain? I can't work like this! What's more, texture smoothing becomes disabled every time as well. Anyone know what to do? I feel like all I have to do is trash a prefs file or save prefs or something, I just don't know what. Help us out!

-N

tonefreds
12-10-2004, 07:02 PM
I just reinstalled LW and the upgrade. Now I am ok. However, there are other machines that have the same problem I was having. There has to be a quicker fix, but hopefully the reinstall will get you going again.