PDA

View Full Version : More Dual 1.4 trouble

stevejh101
04-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi all,

I am having more trouble with my new setup.
(Dual 1.4 with 1.5GB of Ram) LW 7.5

My mac will render
1000X1000
AA enhanced low
Raytraced shadows and reflection
Ray recursion 2

in approx 1hr 30 min but when I set the same scene to render over night at 2000X2000 I find that Lightwave has dropped off. No message of crashing, nothing.

This has happened 3 nights in a row.

I am testing the same scene on a dual 1ghz at the moment to see if it's the hardware, software or files.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

Ade
04-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Yeah sometimes happens t me too, i suspect vram or memory issues.
Usually happens when AAis set to medium enhanced and u render more than 4 threads with sasquatch on. Serious bug that newtek MUST look into!

eblu
04-11-2003, 12:56 PM
i agree that LW has serious rendering/memory issues. but i personaly think that it is a very general problem. If you try to push the renderer to do anything stressfull, it will puke.

so the workaround is to treat the renderer like it has a hangover. cut everything up into bite size pieces, keep your voice low, and brew alot of coffee. yelling only causes more puking, and by god, dont feed it chocolate!

seriously tho, you guys should make a nice pleasant bug report, and email it to: [email protected] consider sending your content (objects scenes, images etc...) with the report so that they can try to duplicate your problem.

personally i wouldnt hold yer breath tho... my judgement (read: opinion based on less than half of the facts) is that nobody at newtek in recent months actually understands how memory works in os X (among other things), and since nobody is complaining (read: sending feedback in the appropriate information vectors in a large enough quantity) then nothing is wrong. And even if Newtek hears the voice of its users about the rendering/memory issues, they might have a great deal of trouble fixing the problems (read: they might realize that the bugs, cant be fixed in a reasonable amount of time). If that happens, it might not get fixed, bc some new feature might be deemed more impotant for expanding the userbase. I've seen this sort of thing before, in other products, its called feature bloat, and it makes for a crappy product release, poor QA, and fast dev cycles (any of that sound familiar?).

stevejh101
04-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Cheers guys.

Reducing the segment memory appeared to help.
That said I have re-installed the system and discovered one of the 512mb Ram is faulty.

Thanks again,

Steve

Ade
04-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Great systems the new g4s are.