PDA

View Full Version : WOW, this place is a graveyard these days...where's everyone at?

harlan
12-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Helloo? thump, thump....testing 1,2,3

Castius
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
They all gave up waiting for you plugin. :)

nerdyguy227
12-08-2004, 06:53 PM
nope, sorry I am not here
why don't you try in 20 min or so, I should be back

harlan
12-08-2004, 06:53 PM
LOL!!! I figured that was gonna happen! ;)

That suckers been put on a temporarily "permanent" hold - til things free up a little. Just when I thought I was going to have time to wrap it up, I wound up getting swamped, and now the holidays are upon us - if I get a chance over the holidays I'll try to finish it up.

So what else has been going on

Cman
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
06-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I've been working on some workflow optimizations for LW to more closely mimic Maya & XSI. It consists of a few scripts, .cfg files & a plug-in or two in addition to the "renaming" of tools to match the "real-world" terminology used in every other pro app in the world. It'll also include the Nostromo configs - as they utilize the newly reworked mouse menus.

Should be done by the end of the week, time permitting.

This is definitely more than re-done Menu & Key configs however - should be cool. Being a Maya user & a LW user, I can honestly say that it makes it easier to work between both apps.

Harlan

Done in a week, eh? :D

nerdyguy227
12-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it is too bad I am not here to read all your replies, I wish I could cause then I could reply and talk to you.

O'well, too bad for me

hrgiger
12-08-2004, 09:48 PM
If I were still here, I'd probably just make some smart-as$ remark anyway so it's probably better this way.

Besides, you can see by the number of posts I have that I hardly posted here while I was here anyway.

harlan
12-08-2004, 09:50 PM

lol... funny guy.

I had actually gotten quite close back then to releasing the configs & a small set of scripts, but wound up getting backlogged on some work and accidentally "hosed" one of the configs - which was the reason for the delay.

harlan
12-08-2004, 09:52 PM
If I were still here, I'd probably just make some smart-as$ remark anyway so it's probably better this way.

Besides, you can see by the number of posts I have that I hardly posted here while I was here anyway.

Haaaaaaa!!! I F'IN LOVE the new Avatar!!!

hrgiger
12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, the new avatar is a picture I found the other day and pretty much sums up my sense of humor. Wrong. Just wrong.

DigiLusionist
12-08-2004, 10:31 PM
I rarely come here anymore because of personalities who I find disagreeable. Takes all the fun out of coming here.

harlan
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the new avatar is a picture I found the other day and pretty much sums up my sense of humor. Wrong. Just wrong.

I love it... it's right up my alley. Nothing like a soldier teaching a 10 year old girl to fire a Stinger!!

harlan
12-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I rarely come here anymore because of personalities who I find disagreeable. Takes all the fun out of coming here.

Yeah, well SCREW YOU!!! ;)

Castius
12-09-2004, 04:22 AM
ya I know things happen harlan. 8)
I'm starting to loose count on all the projects that i need to finish. I have one rather large plugin i'm working on that i can't wait to finish myself. The interface code is 1000 lines by itself and i'm not done yet. But i had to put it on the back burner for a few reasons.

shaol
12-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Not that I'm reading any of these post but, I figure I wouldn't say anything either about nothing wich seems to be alot to say about nothing. when everone is saying nothing . Leave a message at the tone peeeeeeeeeeeep

sorry message system full please try again later.

:confused:

jevinstudios
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Over the past several months when I'd post here to share my joy of LightWave and successes with this software, I'd end up having to try to justify my choice and fight too much with people dishing LW in favor of XSI Foundation (shocking to me, since this should be a place where LW rulez and all of us should rally around each other to revel in the joy of this excellent app!!!).

That, and an enormous workload, have silenced me here. When I DO hit the forums, usually go to other LW spots on the web that are geared more to professionals without all the LW bashing I've been seeing here lately. Really sad, INMO.....

Chris S. (Fez)
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I think if 8.0 had been 8.2 we would not have had quite so many "defections." The number of Lightwave seats sold over the past few months has been a little alarming. Whatever. They'll be back. Newtek took a tough blow but I think they have finally fully recovered. 8.2 is proof (assuming it all works!).

And when the Fprime update comes out and the folks who defected are puttering around in their super sluggish render region...they'll be peeking back over on our side of the fence.

Ztreem
12-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Just Face it, it's always greener on the other side of the fence.
So for everybody who jumped over the fence: -You will only look back over the fence to see a greener side on the other side.
Better to stay and relax them to jump over the fence all day. :D

colkai
12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, watching app-switcher jump the fences could always substitue for counting sheep to get to sleep. :p ;)

Me, I don't post here no more, because I ain't really here, I mean - how could I be, I'm out there ..somewhere ..but not in an "over the rainbow" kinda way. :D

Matt
12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
It has been quiet of late, I think a lot of users visit SpinQuad more these days.

cresshead
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
not been posting much of late as we're starting a small cgi film production with some of my student's using all sorts of apps...slow to get going though...maybe i need a whip to "encourage them"...other than that been making some video training tutorials on max,zbrush and lightwave for turbosquid...free stuff.

oh n yeah spinquad is a good alternative forum..but i'll alsways chack here too...to see new stuff...

lede
12-09-2004, 04:52 PM
colkai, yeah watching them jump the fence also makes me exahsted and wonder if I need to exercise some more :D

To be honest this is the second time someone has started this kind of thread. Just kick back and hit F10 so we can chat some more.

-Lee

Dodgy
12-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I gave up on the LW bashing threads, I only answer questions now, and then only if those questions haven't been answered yet or by a few people, or I have an interest in something a bit tricky :)

I know LW's the best for me, I have given up proving it to others... I'm still here though :) And I still do read a lot :)

And I write plugins so that takes up time :)

harlan
12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone on the disinterest in constantly defending/bitching about apps. My main reason for being distant of late has more to do with scheduling than anything, but I was hugely turned off by the moderation going around on the various boards these days. Internet growing pains I guess.

None the less, I always enjoy chatting with you fellow animators.

blabberlicious
12-10-2004, 02:37 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone on the disinterest in constantly defending/bitching about apps. My main reason for being distant of late has more to do with scheduling than anything, but I was hugely turned off by the moderation going around on the various boards these days. Internet growing pains I guess.

None the less, I always enjoy chatting with you fellow animators.

LOL

I seem to remember a pretty heated post you made about the lack of deformation cages in LW LAYOUT...

;-)

Understandable - I've been in that situation myself. Locked into the LW 'old sckool' workflow' when you KNOW there are solutions that would get the job done in half the time.

My point is - many people have perfectly legitimate complaints about the product they bought, and sharing experiences (good and bad) is pretty much the point of a forum - isn't it?

Criticizing (giving and taking) is part of ANY creative endevour - including designing apps.

People in our line of work usually care more about the end product (their work) than acting a cheerleader for their tools (the serious ones anyway).

I do agree that posting my 'cat's blackerthan yout cat's' feature comparisons is pretty futile - but if it makes you happy, then post away....

Exper
12-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Ssshhh... don't scream... we're asleep! :D

TexasRiguez
12-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Yup, been checking now an then for them Nostromo configs. I'm still tryin ta git the hang of the critter....Post em soon eh!
Thanx..

archiea
12-17-2004, 12:20 AM

I think he went to the newtek school of release announcements.. DOH! just a joke.. hehe.. hey why can't I log in anymore?.... :D

I've been hanging around www.thunderbirdnest.com enjoying my new T-bird!!!! :cool:

Lightwhat?

riki
12-17-2004, 01:42 AM
I must admit it does feel pretty dead around here recently. I'm not sure if it's just me or if somethings changed??

Mipmap
12-17-2004, 02:15 AM
I don't know about the others, but for me its just the forum layout.
Go look at the index. 21 forums for 1 program kind of thins the activity out.

A smart admin will start off with very little forums, and if a forum has so many new topics
that its flooding others down before their time, then split it into two different themed
forums to thin things out. When you just start over like we did with the new software
and start us out with tons and tons of forum areas, its going to split the activity up a lot,
and make it seem like far less people are participating than they really are, and people
will get bored and leave.

In my opinion it should have been something simple like this:

LW Community
LW Gallery WIP
LW Gallery Finished
LW Support

LW Lscript
LW Tips
LW Third Party

The most important thing to pay attention to is the amount of posts in a forum. If you check
the index, many of those in all this time have 150 or less topics, and the forum topic could
easily be applied to another one. Many of those areas aren't actually needed, and eventually
people will just figure that they are "dead" areas and stop posting there anyway.

riki
12-17-2004, 02:25 AM
Krap, I didn't believe it when you said 21 Forums for Lightwave. That is spreading the action a bit thin. No wonder it feels dead around here.

JML
12-17-2004, 07:22 AM
sorry to hear that some of you feel lonely, this a forum, not a nightclub. :)

I think having that many forums make it easier to search stuff,
there is maybe 1 or 2 that could be remove but not much more.

people use LW in different fields and 'you' may dislike some forums but others may like it and find it useful.

harlan
12-17-2004, 11:11 AM
LOL

I seem to remember a pretty heated post you made about the lack of deformation cages in LW LAYOUT...

Shut the hell up Blabberboy!! I'm allowed to be a hypocrite!!! ;)

harlan
12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Yup, been checking now an then for them Nostromo configs. I'm still tryin ta git the hang of the critter....Post em soon eh!
Thanx..

Sheeeeeit, I forgot all about those. Don't have much of a memory these days - way too many drugs! ;)