PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Monitor and A4000 tower conversion Solutions?

vonshep
12-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I have a couple of questions.

1) Are there any solutions out there to be able to use a PC monitor with the Video Toaster/Flyer? There used to be an item from Software Hut called the ToastScan Scan Double/Flixer Fixer, but they don't make them anymore.

2) I have an A4000 desktop with a HighFlyer expansion chasis installed above it. I'd really like to convert this into a tower case, such as the Mirage case from Elbox but I am wondering where I would output the 3 Flyer chains from the back to a Flyer drive tower. My guess is out one of the PCI slots in the back, but I was wondering if there are better cases out there that have more room and are more suited to the Toaster/Flyer setup.

Thanks.

Ivan
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Software Hut would be the place to look. They show the ToastScan as available. I have this and it works great. Nothing like seing your Amiga on a 17 or 19 inch monitor. Software hut also shows some cases that should work.

Ivan

Ivan
12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
PS. Don't forget to order a Mr. Mysza Mouse adapter, get rid of that beat up Amiga mouse and plug in a nice Scroll mouse. The scroll wheel works in Flyer!

Ivan

vonshep
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Actually I had placed an order with Software Hut for the Mr Mysza mouse converter and Amiga Forever 6 on CD. He doesn't have the ToastScans anymore which is pretty depressing.

That was why I was wondering if there were any other ways to display the Toaster screen on a better monitor.

tonsofpcs
12-13-2004, 08:08 AM
You could get a single flicker-fixer/scan-doubler/even just a connector adapter, as long as you have a full multisync monitor (one that supports the Amiga's internal refresh rates). Personally, I have one that I use on my A3000 (even though it has a built-in flicker-fixer/scan-doubler combo, i just turn the scandoubler off)

Anyway, you can try http://www.mrhardwarecomputers.com/ for the scandoubler/flicker-fixer

Ivan
12-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Does that work with your Toaster? I thought the Toaster needed the sync from the monitor to work which is why ToastScan was so cool.

Ivan

tonsofpcs
12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm not quite sure, as I am using the A3000, not the A4000, but if your monitor works on the same scanrates [without a flickerfixer/scandoubler], it should work, right? I'm really not sure, right now I cannot try as my Toaster needs to go out for repair (i think the cf cap is finally dying) and I cannot find my monitor cable [for the 1084s] to check the difference. Maybe someone else here can try?

Also wondering, if anyone can test at same time, If I run a RGBHV [on 5 BNCs] from the 23 pin connector, would that work with the Video Toaster?

rbartlett
12-20-2004, 04:05 AM
PC and convergent LCD (TFT) monitors are now likely to support interlaced NTSC and PAL resolutions on their RGB ports. So, with a couple of checks namely 15.734/59.97i 15.625KHz/50iHz you can probably use one of these monitors in all available Amiga modes. If you don't already have one, the 23pin CBM connector can be converted to HD15 (d-sub) quite easily (and probably the European RGB-Scart or YPbPr japanese D1 (525i) connector).

The same has already been true for a large number of video compatible LCD projectors and plasmas over the years. Just that you get more flicker and visible scan lines when you don't use a scan doubler or have dedicated circuits to do this for you in the display.

I still have a working CBM 1940 monitor. Which I use with the Amiga 2000 flicker fixer and have an Avermedia joyTV in-line to give me some ext. video playback aswell. Isn't a broadcast reference monitor but then I'm not needing that level of verification quite yet.

Since the disappearance of the Amiga, Atari ST, Archimedes, NEC Multisync 3D etc - it has indeed taken this long for the display market to overlap the PC display technology with the TV industry. Convergence is something that will save the die hard Amiga user some expense.

HDTV conversion boxes and true hi-def screens might even allow those super-hi-res ECS and AGA resolutions to be seen at their best.

Ho hum

billmi
02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
The scan converter is the easy route to go.

Keep in mind, it may need a Sync Strainer to allow the Toaster to boot. The toaster depends on a feedback signal in the RGB out to the monitor. If you get the scan converter, and the monitor works fine for the different Amiga modes, but the Toaster won't boot, that is your problem. If so, PM me, I have an extra Sync Strainer that I no longer use.

tonyvdb
04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
@billmi,

I stumbled upon this thread and was wondering if you still have that spare Sync-Strainer and if so would you be willing to sell it to me? I am having trouble with my Video Toaster Flyer system. It goes out of sync when I start up the toaster software. I am curently using a Toastscan with an older 15" PC monitor. and I am thinking this may be the problem.

Thanks

Gary Heck
04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Tony vdb
I noticed you have 2 36gig hard drives on your flyer system. I have a flyer
system too. I bought two 36gig hds for mine and I can not get the system
to recognize the full drive. (It recognizes a little over 4 gigs) Did you get
a OS upgrade or kickstart upgrade to work with these drives? If so do you
know where to get an upgrade?

tonyvdb
04-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi Gary,

Hmmm, thats a strange problem. What are you using to format them? You need to use the Flyer HD tools (located in Newtek/Programs) to format the drives not through the workbench.
The Toaster Flyer uses its own file system to format the drives for A/V as the Amiga OS can only use up to 4 gig drives unless you get a patch called SSF and its a bit complicated to set up. But again you have to use the Flyer HD tools to do this or they wont work properly with the Flyer.
I hope this helps you. If not let me know and I will see if I can think of anything else.

Tony

Bushmsn
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I used the picasso card and it works with toaster.

Gary Heck
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Gary,

Hmmm, thats a strange problem. What are you using to format them? You need to use the Flyer HD tools (located in Newtek/Programs) to format the drives not through the workbench.
The Toaster Flyer uses its own file system to format the drives for A/V as the Amiga OS can only use up to 4 gig drives unless you get a patch called SSF and its a bit complicated to set up. But again you have to use the Flyer HD tools to do this or they wont work properly with the Flyer.
I hope this helps you. If not let me know and I will see if I can think of anything else.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
I'll try reformating them again. I can't remember if I used The Flyer Hd tools
its been so long ago but I will this time for sure.:stumped:

tonyvdb
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey Gary,
Did you solve the problem with your Flyer drives not working right? Just curious.

NOTE: If people are still looking for the Toastscan www.amigakit.com has them and so does www.softhut.com They work really well with the Toaster and seem to work well with almost any PC ponitor.

Gary Heck
05-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Tony,

Yes it did work. Thanks alot for the advice.:thumbsup:

afpintek
08-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Hello all,
I heard that when you use toastscan with the toaster/flyer
the picture looks very, very blocky.
Any one can confirm this or dispute it.

Thanks

Anthony

tonyvdb
08-19-2006, 04:30 PM
It depends on the size of monitor you are going to use I have a 19" with my Toastscan and it works great, sure the image is a bit "blocky" but its far better than using the old 14" Amiga monitor.

afpintek
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey,
Thanks for your reply.
I am using a TIMM for the last 8years and it looks great with the T/F, but its waaaaay to big.
I plan on using a 17" LCD.
What do you think?
Will it look as good as the TIMM.
Even if it does not will it lookn good enough.

Thanks any input will be appreciated
Anthony

tonyvdb
08-20-2006, 08:55 AM
LCD monitors as you probably know have a naitive resalution usualy 1280x1024 so using the Amiga output is far below that and may not give you the desired results but its sure worth a try anyhow it wont hurt. My 19" is a CRT so it dosent have that problem.

afpintek
08-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Any suggestions of LCD's that may work well,
or a CRT that will work well.

Thanks
Anthony

tonyvdb
08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I have not seen a CRT that will not work with the Toastscan so any will do. Most LCDs will work as they should scan down to 31Hz. The only way to know for sure with LCD is to try.
Just a note when the Toastscan is used for the first time each day and is cool it will cause the monitor to "jitter" and sometimes flash, this is normal it will stableize after about 30 seconds once it warms up.

afpintek
08-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Tony,
I got a toastscan, it would not work.
I even tried using it with my Timm monitor without the sycstrainer, no picture. I assume I got a bad one.
Any Ideas.

BTW: Are the lights suppose to flash on it, because mine did not.

Anthony

tonyvdb
08-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Yes, the LED's are to be on when the Amiga is on. One will stay solid as it a power indicator and the other is a sync and will flash at times. It does sound like you have a bad Toastscan.

afpintek
08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Thats what I thought.
Any thoughts on where I might find another one.
Is there anything else that will work.
You dont want to sell yours do you.

Anthony

tonyvdb
08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm asuming that you need to use it with the Video Toaster because otherwise I do have something called the Sync strainer that works with all PC monitors but wont work if using the Toaster.
www.softwarehut.com will probably have some of the "tostscans" but these are in limited supply.

afpintek
08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Yes, with the toaster/Flyer.
I bought mine at softwareHut, it was there last one, and it did not work.
I did not use it with the syncstrainer hooked up at the same time.
Could that have been the problem.

Anthony

tonyvdb
08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
No the syncstrainer cant be used at the same time. The Toastscan does the same thing but also alows the Toaster/Flyer to work because of the odd resalution that it uses. I would contact Software hut and see if they will give your money back at the very least also contactwww.amigakit.com they are located in the UK but may still have some in stock (they are not called the toastscan but are made by the same manufacturer).

afpintek
08-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Tony,
All they had was DCE Internal Scandoubler / Flicker Fixer (A1200/A4000)
do you know if this will work.
I dont think it will.

tonyvdb
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Did you contact amigakit as they dont have the "toastscan" listed on there main pages but did have them in stock I beleave it was called Indivision or something like that. He knows the nam if you just ask about a Toastscan. Hopfuly they still have one. the one you mentioned wont work because it uses the only video slot in the A4000 and that is already being used by the Toaster.

afpintek
08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks.
I emailed them and asked them.
I could not get anyone by phone.

Anthony

tonyvdb
08-26-2006, 11:16 PM
They are aproxomatly 8 hrs ahead of us so it would be Sunday early morning. I would wait until early Monday Morning before you try to call them again.