PDA

View Full Version : VT 4 component out 10 IRE too Hot!!!

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 09:49 AM
After having my deck checked : output correct, record level is correct.

Which means the component output of VT4 is 10 IRE too hot.

How do I correct this?

Thanks

John

Jim Capillo
12-08-2004, 10:27 AM
After having my deck checked : output correct, record level is correct.

Which means the component output of VT4 is 10 IRE too hot.

How do I correct this?

Thanks

John

Just make a toolshed preset to knock everything down by 10% or so.....

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 11:24 AM
That was what I was going to do for now just did not think that was the best way of doing it.

Thanks

John

JReble
12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I don't mean to sound like a pain since I don't even have my upgrade in hand, but this is yet another , what I would deem, serious problem with this release. These kind of issues have a tendancy to be noted once or twice in the forums and then forgotten or lost as everyone focusses on the issues that are more frequently addressed by a larger number of people. While something like this is a very major technical problem, something like HD or Batch capture is harped on endlessly thus dropping these identified problems into relative obscurity on the forums and likewise in NewTek's collective memories.

As I keep noticing more and more seriousl issues cropping up with the VT 4 release before I've even installed it, can I ask if there is a publicly available list of issues and their status related to the most current release?

I'm really getting concerned with the way serious technical problems are being outpaced by seemingly trivial day to day stuff. The fact that these issues are even present in the current VT4 release, which was heralded as incredibly proven and solid upon release, is evidence of what I'm talking about. I've still got a couple technical problems I've been trying to find solutions to that have slipped past the technical team for far too long since they seem to be going unnoticed by many users. I know it's always best to adapt and keep moving, but how a luminance shift in the component output has not been shouted about since day one of this release is beyond me. I would probably catch that 10 minutes in. This is how we get audio level problems that continue through 2 releases and multiple patches. So can we somehow get these serious technical problems with the product clearly documented where they won't dissappear so there's some accountability in getting them fixed even if they aren't even noticed by many users? I'm not content to trust they'll be taken as seriously as they should be at this point. Not venting here, just pointing out what I believe to be a major hole in the road were traveling.

BTW, this in no way demonstrates a failing by my or any other dealer. My dealer has been great and my system works as good as possible. Unfortunately the dealers are helpless to address problems in the card or software. In fact, I suspect the dealers are taking a real hit having to address new problems and incompatabilities created with new releases that weren't there in previous versions.

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 02:58 PM
I can say that I did not have this problem using the same deck with VT3 and the older VT 3 card. I produced a bunch of programs that went to broadcast and neither I nor the broadcasters had a complaint about the IRE levels.

This still may be my problem but I do not think so. The deck checks out perfectly by Sony.

I have now two issues: Component output IRE level and No SDI audio output.

Newtek is working with me on these issues.

I had a problem with SDI audio input but that was my problem and that is o.k. now.

It was suggested that I calibrate the output in BOB but I do not know how to do that.

John

JReble
12-08-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm curious if Jim has noted the same problem and is using his workaround to address it, or if he's simply offering a solution to your current delima. If it's only a problem with your system, then I may have spoken too soon, but I still maintain my current readiness to fly off the handle based on everything I've been reading lately. ;)

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Not sure if Jim is having this problem. So far, I am the only one with this problem. I am not blaiming VT4 yet because I do a lot of stupid things and over 70% of the time problems I see come from my end.

The thing that makes me think it is a VT 4 problem is that I am using the same cabeling, decks , and everything that I used with VT3. And, I have changed cabels, checked integrity of cables with ohm meters, checked ports. Heck I have been working on this for two days.

Heck, I have even read the instructions several times hoping I missed some major point.

John

Jim Capillo
12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm not seeing it here, just checked. It very well may be a problem with your board, John.

I send a lot of stuff out to both cable and broadcast and no one has ever mentioned high levels. :confused:

I am using a PVW-2800 and I tried it both in Y/C and component. Other than the flicker when I thru the switch, nothing moved.

I am headed out right now, but I will check the MII deck again tomorrow to see what that is showing.

Jim Capillo
12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
John, I just read over on the VTNT forum that you are only having this problem with the -1800, is that true? The other decks record OK in component? If so, I would have to say it is the deck, not the VT.

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
No, the other decks are recording SDI. Later tonight I will record to the D-9 in component and see what happens.

Sony checked out that deck yesterday and they said it was perfect.

Thanks

John

John Melvin
12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
recorded to SVHS deck and same thing. 10 IRE too hot.

John

Jim Capillo
12-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Rechecked my cabling and found I had the component coming in from the 26 pin connector not the RGB BNC's.

Threw the switch and guess what ?

Component is 10 IRE too hot ! :o

Switch back to Y/C and it is right on.

Looks like either a software or hardware problem.

Sorry for the confusion !

Jim Capillo
12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Man, there is something funky happening here.

Shut down VT and cold rebooted.

Threw the bars back up and now I'm getting 110 IRE on composite, 100 IRE Y/C and about 75 IRE on component with the blacks crushed at -25 IRE or so..... all coming thru the PVW-2800.

This is weird.... any ideas? I'll recheck my cabling.

Looks like I'll be working in Y/C until this gets cleared up.

:confused:

John Melvin
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I am sending my cards in today. Both my component and YC are hot. I am worried that there may be a major problem with the VT4 card.

In the meantime I had an extra vt3 card I installed and it trys to work but I do not get any video signal. Any idea what I am missing. Pretty sure I have all the cabeling correct. When I first booted up it did a core update. Also, the BOB acts totally normal, i.e. light comes on on channel 1, and a little pop on speakers which is normal for me, until I open VT 4 then switcher does not work. Cannot get output from VT Edit on VT vision . BOB panel indicates that BOB is installed.

Have no idea where I am now.

Thanks

John

Jim Capillo
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
OK, found my problem.

My assistant plugged the Y/C into the same bank/row as the component out, so the signal was getting crushed. Unplugged the Y/C and all is back to normal.

composite 103 IRE

component 100 IRE

Y/C 100 IRE

Sorry for the false alarm, John....... :o

I don't know what that problem would be unless it is related to the software registration. could be looking for the right serial number and not finding it.

You may have to reinstall and reregister........

John Melvin
12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
cool. Worried for a while that there could be a problem with a lot of the VT4 cards. Now back to my being the only one which is O.K. if I get it fixed.

John