PDA

View Full Version : Miss Frustrated

TheMinnesotaGuy
12-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Ok, I have a problem here and have gotten very frustrated over time and I am goin to finally come into the forum and ask this question.

1. At the present time I am working on a Wedding Video. I have my footage downloaded and in the time line. I have 2 views from 2 cameras that I need to edit. I take and cut the unnecessary video footage out and the sound footage stays in it's complete form. In this wedding we have 2 singers that sang 2 songs before the ceremony. I have cut various sections of this footage out and insert other various footage that was taken before the ceremony began. I have a problem than when I go to play this footage that my voice doesn't match up with my video. I am very careful when I cut and insert but it seems that every time when I finish my cutting and go to view my footage it is off several frames. It isn't a long ways off but you can tell by looking at the picture that the video is just a little bit ahead of the sound. We do all our cutting first and than when we are finished we add out cross fades. We are putting in a cross fade inbetween each video section that was cut. It seems that the problem comes in during the cutting process. Because after the ceremony starts we do not cut at all and just put in cross fades to change from camera to camera. And this section of footage is not affected by the problem. Is it something that we are doing wrong during this cutting process???
2. Also we use a black rtv at the beginning of the video an end. At the beginning wehn we play this back the black isn't black, it is grayish and not really black looking. Is there something that I can do to make it blacker???
Please help me Thanks Cassie

Morgoth
12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Cassie,

I have been editing a wedding video this week similiar to your way. I found I was having the same problem. I think it might have something to do with cuting the video breaks the sync. But I'm not an expert on this. I'm sure someone else here will know what causes this.

What I have done to fix it for me, is to listen carefully to the sound track while watching the video. When I find a word in the audio and an obvious part in the video that relate even if they're apart. I put markers at each point and then move the video to line up with the audio marker. It takes a little practice but evetually it becomes easier. I know this is kind of clumsy work around. But it has been working for me so far.

Jim_C
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
When you play the video without cuttin git is the audio in sync then?
Or does it appear after cutting.
You may be sliding your audio during the digitization t capture.
How are you apturing your footage?

Your audio and video should be locked together, cutting and splicing should not move the timing of them unless you have unlocked the streams and bumped one of them one way or another.

As for the Black RTV.
Legal television black is not actually pure black. Pure black is 0ire, NTSC TV black is 7.5ire , which is kinda black with a tinge of grey. All of your video should be above 7.5 for black level.The darkest thing you shot should fall at 7.5, not 0. Use the scopes built into the VT to see where the levels are.

Ivan
12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Cassie,

If this is who I think it is, call me. There are two things you can do. One is you can place markers on the video and the audio before you put in the fades so you can sync them up easily. The other, and I think this was the way it worked, is put the fades in using the storyboard rather than the timeline. I hope that helps.

Ivan

PS. We missed you last night at the meeting, Jim brought his shiney new Sony HDV camera!

TheMinnesotaGuy
12-09-2004, 10:25 AM
This is to reply to the ones that so graciously replied to my delemia.
I know my problem isn't the downloading. That all plays fine.
The problem that I am haing is after I have the footage in my time line and I start cutting sections of video out. I do have to unlock the audio and the video to cut because I usuallly want to keep the audio complete in it's entirerty and I don't want all the video. I lock it again after I have cut my video section out. I have been putting markers on the audio and video so I can re-align it easier. One question I think may affect this problem that I am having is "Would this have anything to do with Rippling"??? What is Rippling anyway???
Thanks Cassie

Jim_C
12-09-2004, 11:31 AM
>>>I do have to unlock the audio and the video to cut because I usuallly want to keep the audio complete in it's entirerty and I don't want all the video.

You don't have to unlock the audio to do that.
Just cut the entire clip, video and audio, then click off somewhere to deselct the clip the grab ONLY the audio wav form and drag it. You can set it right back where it was before you cut the clip.

you can even select the audio wav only and hit G and it will extend back to its full size.

Ripple effects whether footage on the timeline after your edit shrinks or grows based on your edit or remains in the same place.
The best way to get a grasp of it is do a couple test edits with it on and off.