PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - video capture

mattclary
12-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Hi all. I have accumulated some video tape of my baby daughter and am starting to weigh my options for getting this onto DVD.

I have a DVD burner in my PC and am thinking of getting a device that will allow me to copy the video to my PC for burning. Any recommendations? I saw a Haupagge card at Newegg.com for around $75 that has a TV tuner and should suffice. Thoughts? I don't want to spend a ton of money.

munky
12-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi MATT

Could you not firewire the footage in straight from your camera and into your PC?

regards

paul

mattclary
12-08-2004, 09:04 AM
My camera is a Sony Hi8, so no firewire output that I know of. My PC doesn't have firewire, but of course, I could get a firewire card. Is there a firewire card that would allow me to connect via an S-Video or other standard video connector?

Here atre the two items that I have found so far that I am considering. Something to be said for the DVD Creator thingy...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=15-100-113&DEPA=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-606&depa=0

munky
12-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm a mac boy at heart but my PC has firewire and s-video in throught the graphics card, so I guess I'mm spoilt, but I thought the DVD creator seemed pretty good for the $45.00. I'm sure that a quick repost of this in the PC forum here will get some very knowledgeable replies.

regards

paul

Alliante
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
For my Analog capture I use the PYRO AV Link Professional (http://www.adstech.com/products/API-752/intro/api752intro.asp?pid=API-752)

It's been working pretty good for me.

As a side benefit, it is used by my NLE as my monitor out so I can preview on my NTSC monitor (cheapass 13" tele)

adrian
12-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I would unreservedly recommend the Matrox RT.X100 capture card. 100% awesome. However I don't know what your budget is.....

Don't, for God's sake touch Pinnacle. Trust me on this. They (whatever card you go for) are an absolute nightmare. I personally have horrendous tales to tell about the DC1000 and DC30+ and I know several pros who wouldn't touch Pinnacle products with a dis-infected barge pole.

Adrian.

js33
12-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Canopus makes a little capture box that has composite and S-video and maybe even component inputs for about $300. But for the same amount you could just get a cheap DV camcorder for a few hundred and use that as a pass through to get your Hi8 firewired into the PC . Then you not only have a capture device but then a DV camcorder as well so you could shoot your new videos on DV then and just go directly into the PC after that.

Cheers,
JS

coremi
12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
i Also think the best solution is to buy a DV 8 mm camera. So u will be able to capture via Firewire the Hi8 tapes. Firewire is very reliable and u can use some software like Ulead DVD workshop to capture, edit and write on the DVD only with one program, very fast and very simple. Usind S-Video input will not give u the chance to use DV AVI format so will lose a lot of quality by compresing to .mpg.

A Firewire card should be around 20 USD, cable included and some sofware bundle.

adrian
12-08-2004, 06:40 PM
I forgot to mention that with the RT.X100 you get a heap of fantastic software bundled with it (I worked it out at a cool 1,300): Premiere Pro, Encore1.5 and Audition 1.5

Adrian.

Silkrooster
12-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I was thinking about the rtx100 from matrix my self, the price is the same as the included soft if purchased seperately, it is like getting the card for free.
Some DV 8mm camcorders can play back hi8 tapes as well as dv tapes. But I don't know if it would do the conversion for use with firewire. There are a lot of low priced composite video capture devices on the market. I seen one from pcconnection that will convert your video to mpeg2 real time. It is an external unit and uses usb connector. Since you want to put them on DVD this may be an option. Also the matrix pro board does real time mpeg encoding. The matrix board can be found on pcconnection as well. I think Safe harbor also sells this board.
Here is the search link for pcconnections video capture devices. http://www.pcconnection.com/Search?CatId=100850&Offset=0&Sort=Most+Popular
Silk

Silkrooster
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
I just did a search on the matrix board and they have it listed under graphics boards instead of capture devices. RT.X10 is standard version and RT.X100 is the pro board.
Silk

mattclary
12-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks guys!!

Edbittner
12-09-2004, 06:03 AM
Matt,
I've been using dvd express, (see link above-the pyro one), for about $50.US. Just plug it into a USB port. It comes with dvd burning software. Then plug in any analog source. Could not be easier.
E.