PDA

View Full Version : dual proc single proc? anyone? anyone?

Darttman
04-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Situation: I burnt out a amd 1600 mp proc :mad: so I am left with one proc (1600mp.) My question is do I replace the proc with matching 1600mp or get a single faster xp proc? I have found the dual set up a bit faster in rendering situations.
I should mention I have 4 other boxes hooked up to the lan but I am too lazy to figure out screamer net batch rendering.

So, use a faster single proc and network render or stay with the dualie set up?

Thanks for the advice,

Darttman

SYSTEM:
tyan tiger mp s2466 mb
gig and 1/2 pc 2100 ram
wildact vp 560 card
80 gig maxtor hd
60 gig maxtor hd usb 2. external for storage
and a can't live with out wacom graphics tablet

Mylenium
04-10-2003, 11:34 PM
I'd stay with a single proc iff you have a rendering network anyway. While working you won't notice the second proc (and like most progs LW doesn't use it). The only difference really is when rendering but even then I have seen much better multithreaded software than LW.

Mylenium

mattclary
04-11-2003, 06:14 AM
If I were in your situation, I would by a replacement CPU and maintain the dual configuration. If I were buying a new motherborad and cpu, I would get a single cpu in the fastest flavor I could. Mylenium is right, the second cpu isn't used in modeling and layout, but I doubt you're maxing your current processor out there anyway, so rather than invest in a faster CPU that will show a marginal gain while you work, I would rather have the faster render.

Now, as I said, if buying a new mobo/cpu, I'd go single (and Intel, at this point). I would get a fast P4 with hyperthreading, it has some mutithreading advantage, but it'ds not as expensive as a dual mobo. I like AMD and currently own one, but pretty sure my next cpu will be Intel due to the render advantage.

Extent
04-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I would replace the second processor, but I spend lots of time playing around with test renders and multitasking, so duals are great for me. I would still rather build up myself a killer dual system to work with than have single proc. 3 networked render machines. But that's because I like the creation process to be as responsive as possible ( inc. test renders) and final renders I just let run overnight.

ChrisS
04-17-2003, 08:21 AM
My vote is to replace the burnt-out processor, AND set up network rendering! :D

Screamer is really easy (and darned handy) once you figure it out. I also believe it has a slight edge in rendering speed over multi-threading on a dual CPU machine.

Sensei
04-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Mylenium, mattclary, you are forgetting about one thing: even though LightWave does not use multi-threading in Layout and Modeler single CPU has to handle other processes in the operating system, so in dual CPU system they will be handled by this second CPU and thus there will be overall system speed up.

mattclary, P4 hyperthreading will always be worser than the real dual CPU system! That's because there could be situations when one thread is requesting (sending or waiting for) something from the second thread of the same process but they are both handled by the same CPU. In dual CPU system there would be no waiting in this case. Some games could even be slowed down by hyperthreading, see above explaination.

mattclary
04-25-2003, 10:50 AM
No, I didn't forget that other processes would use the CPU, I just don't usually run multiple apps at one time, certainly nothing that would tax a second CPU. If one tends to run Photoshop and LW at the same time flipping back and forth, yes, that second CPU may do you some good, and it DEFINITELY will do you good in rendering. It's just my personal preference to buy one sh*t-hot CPU vs. 2

Yeah, I know 2 CPUs are better also. I guess I should have stipulated "If money was no object, yeah, get the fastest dual processors you can afford". Better yet, go quad.

Darttman
04-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the recomendations people. I went and ordered a new MB from MSI. The new MSI K7D master-L should have better agreement with the3D Labs wildcat card. My Tyan S2466n is giving out interferrence to the agp port from the #2 cpu socket. Tyan gave me a work around but I'll just go with a new board. It has something to do with the north bridge AMD 760 chipset.

It seems the Tyan board has a grounding problem which causes snow (wth almost all) videocards. type "video distortion" in Tyan's email to tech support there and you will get the automated response for the work around.

Cheers