PDA

View Full Version : Beta SP VS. DVC,DVC-Pro,25,50???

ted
04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm currently using Beta SP. Of all the Network shows we shoot for, and all the Stations we dub commercials for, that's all anyone has ever asked for.

My question, while at the Panasonic booth, I had an "expert" swear I'd be getting better video with a DVC 50, or DV 50.

While the chroma bandwidth is higher, everything I've read says that DV, DVC-Pro can't match Beta SP. What are your guys thoughts.

I'm looking to make the jump to HD in the next 6 months or so, and I'm getting the Mac/PC or Chevy/Ford arguments from many sources.

Jeffers
04-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Personally, I'd stick with Beta SP. Like you say, Beta SP and Digi Beta are accepted in nearly, if not all facilities. They are not suddenly going to ditch these formats in favour of DV or DVCPRO.

However, in terms of quality, I do like the DV formats. The cameras are getting really good with 24p recording and film style Gamma curves. The decks are multi format and relatively cheap!

I'm sure when the studios do re-invest though, they're not going to purchase more Beta SP decks, but DVCPRO and DVCPRO HD.

As for High Definition, I think Mac is the only way to go unless you have the budget for Avid and alike. This is a shame as I am not a fan of FCP. I also plan to take the plunge to HD in the near future and am not looking forward to the transtion from VT[2] to FCP.

If only Newtek would let us know if they have HD plans, I might hold off for a bit!

ted
04-11-2003, 08:58 PM
While I'm sure I won't need HD editing for at least a year or so, I liked the idea of Recording stuff in HD, outputting in SD for now, but having all that footage in HD for whenever HD becomes "the norm".

I'm still just fishing. Over the years I've been very "lucky", when buying video gear, like going against the grain and buying VHS for my wedding gear when everyone said I was crazy. "VHS will never take over Beta", (home version!).

Doing your homework EARLY, will save thousands of dollars and countless headaches later.
I don't mind spending the money for the best gear, but I want to make sure it IS the RIGHT gear!

Jeffers
04-12-2003, 05:51 AM
In view of your VHS/beta experience, it just goes to show, quality doesn't always succeed. It's all about marketing! Like the various DV formats, it doesn't matter if the quality is better or worse than existing solutions, with the likes of Sony and Panasonic behind it, it will become the standard.

As for HD, all the major players are offering solutions for this. Surely it's only a matter of time before this becomes the norm.
Sooner than we think maybe. I work in the music industry and I know they always seem to want the best and latest, most innovative solutions - even if the cost is high. In the last four months I have been asked if I can undertake three different projects with HD. I have had to decline them all.

It's like the old PC problem. I can remember holding off buying my first ever PC because specs and processor speeds were changing almost weekly. I didn't want to spend a few grand only to have an obsolete PC sat on the desk a month after I had purchased it!

Sooner or later you have to take the plunge, and I hope I am 'lucky' in choosing the right HD system, no matter how much research I do.