PDA

View Full Version : Dongle through 25pin - USB adapter?

Lord Dubu
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Anyone have any luck getting thier dongle to work through a serial to usb adapter? I just got a new laptop, and it lacks any 25 pin ports. As of yet I've had no luck getting the sentinel drivers to see the key.

Latest drivers from rainbow = installed.
Latest 7.5c patch = installed.

Anyone?

mattclary
12-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Very doubtful, in my book. I would just call Newtek and get a swap to a USB dongle.

Lito
12-07-2004, 04:15 PM
First you need a Parallel port to USB adapter since the dongle uses the parallel port. A serial to usb adapter definately won't work, but I have no idea if a Parallel to USB adapter will work with the dongle.

Lord Dubu
12-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Well I did bite the bullet and get the DUO from Newtek. I have it now, but my problems are not over. Unfortunately, now with the key attached and installed with the latest rainbow drivers, I get a message saying that I should contact NT for my lisence key, and that I have to run in demo mode.

I already have a lisence key, but I cannot find the config file to put it in. I thought there used to be a file in the programs directory, where you just entered it through a text editor, but I can't find that file.

mrunion
12-21-2004, 07:08 AM
The file is called "license.key". If it's not already there, make one and put your license in it.

Lord Dubu
12-21-2004, 07:27 AM
OK. I'll give that a try.

Two questions though:

1) Dashes or no dashes?
2) Root LW folder or programs directory?

Lynx3d
12-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Dashes between the numbers? Yes, like 1234-1234-1234-1234
Directory...good question.
I'm fairly sure in LW6.x (Windows) it was in the directory where the Lightwave executables were, my LW8 has actually two copies of it (don't ask me why...) one in .../Lightwave8 and one in .../Lightwave8/Programs

Lord Dubu
12-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Hmmm well I've tried it with dashes and without dashes, both in the root LW directory and the lw/programs directory, but still get the message that my lisence key cannot be found.

Looks like a call to Newtek tech support is in order.

bloontz
12-21-2004, 08:39 AM
If you are trying to use a license key that you had for the old dongle I think you need to get a new one. You can register online to get the new key, under Customer Care/Registration.

BeeVee
12-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Bloontz is right. Your new USB dongle won't have the same Lock ID as your old parallel one, so you'll need to re-register. As for putting in your license.key, when you get an email with your permanent license.key code, you can simply start Layout and run the MakeLicense plug-in (in Scene > Generics) to put it into LightWave. Then quit LightWave and start it again. This plug-in can be found in all versions of LightWave past 7.5 (so, 7.5b, 7.5c, 7.5d, 8.0, 8.0.1), but in LightWave [8] it's available from the Help menu rather than delving into the Utilities > Additonal menu...

B

Lord Dubu
12-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks all. The world is once again safe for freedom and democracy... Lord Dubu is LW enabled again!