PDA

View Full Version : VEGAS Video

sbrandt
04-10-2003, 10:58 PM
I hope "general discussion" with lots of users who have
different kinds of systems, is an OK place to post this...

This isn't a Toaster question. It's a question about how Premiere and Vegas Video 4 stack up against each other.

I had the occasion to see and use Vegas Video 4 tonight, and I was STUNNED! It was VERY smooth, running on a very modest system, with amazing sound tools (surround sound mixing),
quick renders, very clean high quality color corrections with
great transitions and effects...etc.

Has anyone in here had any real work experience with VV4, and do you think it's better than Premiere?

robinson
04-11-2003, 01:57 PM
I worked with vegas video 3 once. I must say if I must chose between Vegas video and premiere, I would chose Vegas video.
The workflow is so fast and the many effects are realtime, it is very easy to use, (there are very good effects, like the film Aging), and it is very cheap compared to premiere.
What else you wanna know ???

sbrandt
04-11-2003, 11:44 PM
I can only afford one Toaster, but there's always more than one project going at a time. I was ready to upgrade Premiere, but I think I'll make the creative jump to Vegas. Fresh ideas are always important, even if the muse that brings them is the nuts and bolts work tool I use.
If you have any more tidbits about what it can do or what you used it to create, would be intersting...

(If I were rich and famous, and could afford two or three Toasters, it would be a moot point.)

sbrandt
04-12-2003, 01:46 PM
What in you're opinion are V V 's shortcoming and weak points?

kleima
04-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Vegas Video in awesome for the price. I use it along side my Toaster, especially if a client doesn't have a big budget and wants to do their own editing.
It doesn't do uncompressed and compositing like the Toaster and doesn't have the speed of using both the timeline AND the storyboard, but most everthing it does, it does well esp. audio (why not with Sound Forge technology).
It dosen't do multilple layers in real time, but it is pretty intuitive (unlike Premier!).

Epita
04-13-2003, 05:05 AM
im still jellous of all of you, i dont have a proper compositer, i have sony movie shaker (i guess its a step up from win mov mker) hwo much are these programs anyway, (i cant use divx with ms)

Epita

sbrandt
04-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Adobe Premiere is about $550 and SonicFoundry's VegasVideo4 is about $489. Adobe's upgrade is about $150, but I'm impressed enough with Vegas, that I think I'll make the jump. The worst I can do is have different apps on the three different systems I happen to have. VT[2] on the Xeon dualie, Premiere6 on the Tyan Thunder K7 (it's also the archive and audio file server and a part time graphics station), and I'm going to put the VegasVideo4 on the Asus A7M266-D (my graphics station. [Corel, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.]). The machine I got to try out Vegas on, is a little ol' ECS K7S5A, so I'm expecting knock-out performance on the Asus.

Epita
04-13-2003, 08:12 AM
thanku sbrandt,

i am going to save up for a while to get VV then, mainly on ur recomendation. gona look around tho.

Thanks

Epita

gosmond
04-13-2003, 01:00 PM
I had Vegas 3.0 and upgraded to 4.0. If I had to use Premier for my only NLE I would jump out the window. Vegas is so much more intuitive. 4.0 improves the green screen and is realtime enough. The only problem you'll have is if you add many effects and transistions, as this will slow down viewing quite a bit - even with a Gig of memory. So, I just do my basic cuts, line them all up and then apply the effects.

Motion video on stills is great and the slide shows you can create in no time are beautiful. Great saturation contol, nice transitions and the only thing missing is a hardware connection to bring this up to something like Matrox etc.

I also use Sound Forge which totally integrates sound editing. After talking with the sales guys at B&H in Manhattan, the only comment I could find in the negative was that they didn't believe that Vegas had the capital to make the technology jumps the other standard folks like Adobe and Avid could make? I don't know about this comment...

Epita
04-13-2003, 01:33 PM
one thing before i go crazy, can Vegas export things to Div X without the need for an extra pluging. if it cant then im not getting it.

me=student=poor

Epita

sbrandt
04-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Keeping in mind I haven't seen the manual or used VegasV4 as a working tool yet, and have just very basic research information that I've picked up over the last few days... I think it does. But I'm not sure it runs as a plug-in or not. (but what difference does that make?)

More importantly it DOES support HD and 24 frame per second, progressive scans, or 24p. (for that "film" look) ...I'm assuming it does both 1920x1080 and 1280x720 res.

There's more to creative life than ripping VOBs off of DVDs.

sbrandt
04-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Do you know if SonicFoundry has a price discounted Educational Version for Students, like Epita?

plee
04-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Educational sites to checkout. Vegas 4 and and also with the DVD option about $250 and $270 respectively.

www.needsoftware.com/academic-software.html

[URL=http://www.journeyed.com]www.journeyed.com (http://www.needsoftware.com/academic-software.html)

Epita
04-13-2003, 04:15 PM
im not ripping anything, im trying to get a job, learn Japanese and work for my exams... I need something to composite material for my demo real, with good effects so i can show how amazing i am (wishes)

Epita

sbrandt
04-13-2003, 04:37 PM
BINGO
There it is:
http://www.needsoftware.com/d90408.html

V V4 for $166 bucks !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to PLEE.

(Sorry about the ''ripping''. I visited your site after I made that post, and I can see you're a serious kid. I like the one that looks like a moon scape a lot.)

JuggleNuts
04-14-2003, 01:32 PM
I also prefer V V over Premiere for a few major reasons. In my spare time, I like to turn video game cinematics into music videos, so I just cut and paste certain clips of the movie file and place them were I want them. When I do this in Premiere and play the realtime preview, it freezes for a few seconds when it goes from one clip to the next. V V has no troubles doing this at all.

Re: Epita - Yes, it can export to DivX. You just need to be sure you have the latest version (5.0.3) otherwise V V has problems displaying the video in the preview area. No extra plugins are needed, just the codec.

eon5
06-29-2003, 09:25 AM
what about VEGAS and VT compatibility?

Will I batch capture edl and edit in VEGAS using VT board and RT video?

jr_sunshine
06-30-2003, 08:29 AM
I have used Vegas and SF products for that matter for quite some time. I come from an audio production background so Vegas Video was a no-brainer. Vegas is difficult for the old timers and religious Premiere types to grasp. If you are comfortable with you current workflow and are productive.... why change?

I like and use Vegas 4 for all my video editing and some compositing. I use Lightwave for my 3D and now (thanks to NewTek... who rocks) I have DFX+ to do my big compositing projects.

what about VEGAS and VT compatibility? Will I batch capture edl and edit in VEGAS using VT board and RT video?

Vegas is designed from the ground up to NOT need any special hardware except for a OHCI compliant FireWire port to work. The speed of VV is based on your processor speed and video card speed.

eon5
06-30-2003, 10:49 AM
jr_sunshine please:
How i must configure Vegas for batch capture using VT video format (and board)?

tkx

jr_sunshine
06-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Very sorry that I did not answer you clear enough:

To my knowledge..... Vegas cannot batch capture using any specialize hardware of which VT is one of them.

The ONLY ONLY ONLY capture that Vegas can do is using a standard OHCI FireWire capture card.

Hope this answers your question,

eon5
10-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Tkx...

another question:

Will i create avi uncompressed video files, play its in VEGAS and to have LIVE MONITOR PLAY OUT using VT3?

I have a client in trouble:
His company is making a animated film, they work with TOONZ and have a LOT of pics...

They need to make a preview with the pics to see frane sync with audio, continuity and so on...

The idea is to use AURA:
I will import the 2k files, scale using AURA configuration and play the sequence.

But... my client LOVE AURA... if i can send him CDs with the *.avis, and he can see the final cut in a video MONITOR (using our VT3)... all the troubles will be solved.

rko
10-28-2003, 05:52 PM
When comparing Vegas or Premiere in this thread it is always compared with Premiere 6.x.
How about Premiere Pro?
Premiere Pro has also 5.1 sound support, nested timelines and ..

And for US$799 there is the video collection with After Effects 6.0 Standard edition, Premiere Pro, Adobe Audition, and Adobe Encore DVD software.
How does that compare?

sbrandt
10-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Premiere Pro had NOT been released when I started the thread.

WannaBToasting
11-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by gosmond
...The only problem you'll have is if you add many effects and transistions, as this will slow down viewing quite a bit - even with a Gig of memory. So, I just do my basic cuts, line them all up and then apply the effects.

...saturation contol, nice transitions and the only thing missing is a hardware connection to bring this up to something like Matrox etc.

... After talking with the sales guys at B&H in Manhattan, the only comment I could find in the negative was that they didn't believe that Vegas had the capital to make the technology jumps the other standard folks like Adobe and Avid could make? I don't know about this comment...

Hi! Thought to first state that I've used Vegas Video3 for 2 projects, and the results were stunningly beautiful. Compositing wasn't a problem for me at all (1 .8 GHz, 512MB, P4 SDRAM at that)... The color correction, though not automatic (like Avid now provides) was wonderful -- as was quality of slo-motion, and keyframing moves in the text generator.

Realtime previews of effects and compositing layers, text overlays, color correction, etc. worked nicely -- although the preview output is not giving you every single frame, it still looks remarkable enough to give an excellent idea of the quality of motion you've applied to your text layers, effects, tracks, etc.

I just want Sony (the new owners) to bring to market here, a realtime OUTPUT solution. Heck, Sony Pictures can afford to allocate the funds for such! I guess users have got to make a bit of noise, and maybe they'll respond in kind [Grin].

Finally, with regard to the notion that adding many effects can slow down viewing - I didn't have a problem at all (previewing). Moreover -- a cool feature, is the ability to "RENDER TO SINGLE TRACK" -- a nice option. if you want to give your CPU an easier burden: this way, all your "layers" are re-written in the timeline with effects, text, etc -- all combined on one track. That way, a slower machine can deal with a more complex edit without being bogged down.

Sony is said to be poised to really market this fine aquisition of theirs, beginning this Fall!

-PeterG
Laurel, MD

WannaBToasting
11-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by rko
When comparing Vegas or Premiere in this thread ... How about Premiere Pro [with] ...5.1 sound support, nested timelines and .. for US$799 there is the video collection with After Effects 6.0 Standard edition...Adobe Audition, and Adobe Encore DVD software.
How does that compare?

Sony's Vegas Video4 is an utterly incredible bang-for-the buck: I've done compositing in VV3 with ease -- and with the visual flair and power punch that causes me to ask: "What do I really need Adobe A.E. for?" The stuff's all there with VEGAS --

Dolby AC-3 encoder, and DVD authoring and MPeg2 output is provided in Vegas4+DVD -- for less than what Adobe is asking in Premiere Pro. Also, realtime previews have been said to be considerably problematic in Premeire's previous releases, and in Premiere Pro's beta -- for a number of PCs not having the fastest processors. I hope the release version is not so cursed.

Finally -- be forewarned -- that rumor has it, tht the Dolby AC-3 licence provided with the Premiere Pro product is for a temporary length of time (no more than a year), unless renewed.

PeterG
Laurel, MD