PDA

View Full Version : Copy Weights from one object to another

Digital Junkie
12-07-2004, 01:19 PM
I have a Character model that I want to have semi realistic clothes. I have seen some tuts that show the clothes layer bieng influinced by bones, and then the new cloth dynamics are run and the clothes act like cloth. (This is my goal) Anyway I have the character rigged and weighted in one layer and the cloths is another (they dont have any weights) All I want to do is copy the weights from the Character object to the clothes object. Sounds reasonable, please help.

SplineGod
12-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Hey! A fellow NEW Mexican :)
If you use the same weight maps on your cloth the dynamics will override them anyways. The weight maps in the cloth that you set to be FIXED will be affected by the bones but the rest of the cloth will be affected by the dynamics.

Digital Junkie
12-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the reply SplineGod, I got past the wieghting issue by doing it the hard way. I found a plugin called 'weighter' that will do what I want, and its only $20, but I didnt get it yet. Which brings me to my next question/problem; I have my scene set up (the character is fully rigged, IK'ed, and has morphs) the body is in layer 1, the bones are in 2, and the cloths are in layer 3. I have tried several different settings and they all seem to produce the same result, the fixed weight stays nicely in position while the rest of the cloth geometry does a wierd floaty dance thingy. the unfixed points just float through the collision object. I just know I'm probly just over looking some simple setting or step, but I'm running out of ideas and buttons to press. I'm looking for tuts on the web now but I havent found anythng too light shedding yet.

Oh yah NEW Mexican (ha ha) I got tired of explaining to people how New Mexico is actually a state that is part of the United States, and that we speak English here (even if some of us can't write it that well) I wonder if you get that alot in L.A.