PDA

View Full Version : X-Wing

Andyjaggy
12-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Yes I know the Star Wars thing has been done way to many times, but I couldn't resist, with the recent release of the trilogy on DVD I gave in to the tempatation. I worked on this probably for about a week off and on, I still haven't textured it but texturing really isn't my thing so I may just leave it like this.

veljko
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
excellent modeling,
i wish you posted a front and a side view aswell

Scott Gammans
12-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Nice stuff... now post some other views!

It's too bad that texturing isn't "your thing" because that's a beauty of a model. If you're not going to texture her, maybe you should release your mesh into the wild for someone else to have a crack at it!

Musart
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Yes, it's been done many times ... but what is wrong with that ??? ;-)

Star Wars has been and will be a source of inspiration for many decades in the future. This magical world won't die. I'm 37 and still have fun to see et re-see the movies and i remember those 3 3/4 inches action figures i received for christmas when i was younger !!!

Your model is detailed and really great to look at. Please, do the texturing !!! For us, SW lovers...

Musart

Dahfish
12-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Well I must say I'm very impressed with your modelling :)

I remember my attempt at an X-Wing, infact its still my wallpaper and this one puts it to shame (not difficult sadly), but work like this helps me to realise how much I've to learn and keeps that motivation alive because I know it can be done *points* see there it is :)

If you have the time I would like to hear how you went about adding the detail to the mesh, i.e. stencil, seperate unattached objects layed in place etc.

Excellent work, like others I'd like to see some other angles and perhaps a wireframe :)

Take Care

Dah.

shaol
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Can i see wireframe plz

richdj
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
:D Excellent model, lets see some other views and wires....

Rich

starbase1
12-08-2004, 07:50 AM
I have toagree with everyone else - great model, please texture, more views!
Now!
:D

adrian
12-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Ditto everything that has been said. SW can't ever be done too many times!!!

Excellent model - but why oh why only show us the arse end of the ship??!!! Let's see some different angles pl-eeaasssee!!

For a week's work that's a very good job. How many polys in total?

I really think you should have a go at texturing this - even if it's only to make it look like a plastic kit.

Nice render as well BTW.

Adrian.

Andyjaggy
12-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Okay here is a front view. Wireframes coming shortly. The modeling was pretty simple actually, alot of booleans, and most of the detail was just layering pieces on top of each other. I don't remember off the top of my head what the poly count was, I think about 125,000, but I could be wrong. I was pretty liberal on that point, I didn't really bother about keeping the poly count down as I orignally didn't intend on using this for any animations or anything, but now kind of wish I would have tried to keep it a little lower.

Andyjaggy
12-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Top wireframe

Andyjaggy
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Rear wireframe

Andyjaggy
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
side wireframe

adrian
12-09-2004, 12:27 PM
How did you go about modelling the front part of the body (the long bit) - as although it looks deceptively easy, it's not an exact shape is it (I mean the shape is different at the front than at the back).

Another thing you could model is a stand....

Adrian.

hulagirl7
12-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey!
Howza 'bout a seat for that silly little droid thingy,
what-ever the heck his name was?! :rolleyes:

Andyjaggy
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah after I finished it I realized I forgot to put a place for RTD2, I have been so busy with finishing projects at school up that I haven't had a chance to go and fix it. I just box modeled the main hull of the ship, There are more sides on the rear of the hull then on the front, I think. trying to recall........ that I merged some points accomplish that.

Simon
12-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Good modelling ..... it would be a crime not to texture it!

adrian
12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
R2D2 is the name you're alluding to.

Adrian.

hulagirl7
12-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Actually...
Artoo D2
;)
Ssuweet model anywho...
:D

StonyZhang
12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Well Done,So Cool. :eek:

pixeltek
12-10-2004, 08:18 AM
What Simon sez. So texure it, that's an order! ;)

FYI - here's where you will find all the help you need. A four-part series on texturing in LW, written by Leigh van der Byl ("Texture Goddess"). Download them all, and maybe even buy her book and all will be revealed!!

Go down to where it reads SURFACING BASICS:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/texturing.htm

Here's a link to her book too (it's also LW-specific):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...3677059-8970340

Hope this helps,

pixeltek
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/