PDA

View Full Version : Was the Matrix a rip-off?

mattclary
12-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Funny how this never made main-stream media outlets (which a large number are owned by Time Warner).

http://www.slccglobelink.com/main.cfm/include/detail/storyid/785067.html

http://www.daghettotymz.com/matrix/motherofmatrix.html

http://matrix-explained.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=523

http://www.daghettotymz.com/matrix/matrix.html

Rory_L
12-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Terrific that the woman`s finally getting compensated. Terrible that it took so long and that this is the first we`ve heard of the case!

Norman
12-07-2004, 08:12 AM
You can say that again! Thanks for posting this, Matt.

hrgiger
12-12-2004, 10:42 PM
That could explain why Reloaded and Revolutions sucked. Perhaps all of the good ideas had already been used on the first one.

If I find out that 'Bound' ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0115736/ ) was ripped off also, I'll lose all respect for the Wachowski brothers because anyone who knows enough to make a lesbain love scene between Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon, they're pure genius as far as I'm concerned.

Mylenium
12-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Too bad you are living "behind the horizon" in the US. It's a shame how many good European and other foreign movies/ books/ story concepts get re-made by Hollywood and are totally ruined. I do not necessarily mean rip-offs, but even a lot of properly licensed stuff simply cannot hold up to the original, once it's been "americanized".

As far as for the "Matrix" case, I'm not too sure that it could be seen as a rip-off, though. The lady just provided some ideas and the film writers still had to structure them and fill them with live. It would be hard for anyone to prove or disprove any copyright infringements - she could claim the Matrix to be this greenish world we all see on screen but one cannot look into her head. She could just as well have imagined it as a lilac world with people walking upside down. So perhaps her compensation might not ba as well deserved and more a means of silencing her before more damage is done. Anyway, I never had much respect for the Wachowskys - too much blahblah about technicalities and pseudo-philosophical ideas.

Mylenium

Bobt
12-13-2004, 05:26 AM
This if found to be true is would explain a lot and would also
be a true shame. This also could be internet folk lore or something.
Wonder which it is or why it hasnt ended up in main line articles.

The last 2 in the series were not good and felt like they came from
a different mold. But the same could be said of the Lord of the
Rings where the first had great story unfolding the second went
Hollywood (a 5 page battle was most of the movie)
and the third was OK but I am not sure it followed the
book as I only have fragments of it left in my mind.
(should slow down to read I guess)

Bob

Beaker
12-13-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't know if her claim is valid or not. I'd have to see more before I would come down on one side or the other, but either way, she is going to have a hard time making a sustainable claim against them when it would appear that she has done much the same thing.

For example, a large portion of page 17 of her manuscript (part of the slideshow on the third link above) is an almost direct lift of Revelation 12:1-6, down to the exact amount of time that her character I-Ceus escaped to the desert and received help.

WizCraker
12-13-2004, 10:24 PM
For example, a large portion of page 17 of her manuscript (part of the slideshow on the third link above) is an almost direct lift of Revelation 12:1-6, down to the exact amount of time that her character I-Ceus escaped to the desert and received help.

Plagiarizing the Bible would that be considered a Sin?

Muad'dib
12-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Cheers matt ;) very interesting reading

EmperorPete
12-14-2004, 05:14 AM
That could explain why Reloaded and Revolutions sucked.
Oh man, you got that right. The Matrix didn't even need a sequel; it finished on the perfect note as far as I'm concerned.

Beaker
12-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Plagiarizing the Bible would that be considered a Sin?
From a religious standpoint, that would depend a lot on your interpretation of Exodus 20:15 and Leviticus 19:11.

Legally, since it is my understanding that the Bible is in the public domain, whether or not it would be prosecutable is in question. However, you yourself referred to it as plagiarism, and this would carry penalties with any educational institution or professional organization.

Did the Wachowski brothers co-opt her work? I don't know. I'd need to see more than the few pages of her manuscript in the slide show to make a decision. All I see right now is some similar concepts, but those concepts could also be found a number of other places. I do agree that the evidence so far raises a number of questions that need to be answered. Did she co-opt the work of others? After seeing the few pages in the slideshow, I would say "yes". Either way, point was and is that her ability to prosecute a successful case that she may be a victim of plagiarism will be made somewhat more difficult by the fact that she has done the same in her own work.

userBrian
12-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Yes, I don't see any specific rip off in the online, few pages shown. And I think
I read that the virtual reality idea was not Stewarts, but introduced by some actress that worked on a Matrix tv show in Canada or somewhere. Well these ideas of the ONE or JESUS or BUDAH or some berry eatin mountain guru are indeed ancient, and the Idea if these oh so wise ***** hold any special powers
is dumb. The evolution is indeed old, and why all that stuff is "hidden" is simply that it is not hidden, it has been replaced by honest work by intelligent people who fight for freedom against such ONE scenarios of god. It is no secret we are evolving, and we have new powers to uncover and share telepathically. This is the premise of many stories, the Wizard ONE becoming aware, the idea really is based on the simple reality that we can control energy with our minds, and matter is energy, but we cannot mess with things because there is no one, we are all controlling things subconsciously as a unified one. The only way a one can be is if he can step ahead of the logic pile with the superbrain subconsciously, but more importantly consciously. We are all just thinking, but most of us seem to play inside the game so much it threatens evolution on a very subtile way, a way to feel what is correct. Hollywood is always playing with this idea of someone from a different race placed in a strange environment and woozying about their newfound "power".
Also, I downloaded that long audio interview of Sofia by a black man, who was a very good interviewer! First he asks her how she got inspired for her concept, and she seemed to answer the concept always was. It's biblical. And she seems to say she just taps in telepathically, in her own way. Fine. Then he asks another amazingly astute question (and my dad said if you ask the question, you know the answer)...he asks for SPECIFIC examples of actual copyright rip offs. And Stewart rambles on about Jesus and the one and ancient biblical stuff that she gets real hot about, and although I think childish, she is amusingly VERY good at her comical quotation like ramblings, so good and hot the interviewer goes whoozie! And am I wrong, bro, or have you just been insulted ? You knew the answer, and were prepared to go woooozie about the shenaniganistic derailment of your question. Now Stewart, if there IS a one, he might be angry. And Bush is cutting down on the racial slight lawsuits, did you read? So save your lawyer money, Bush doesn't want to anger the ONE.

mattclary
12-15-2004, 05:16 AM
userBrian, your post was harder to understand than the third Matrix movie, and that's saying something. ;)

spec24
12-16-2004, 10:03 AM
The idea itself is a ripoff of a ton of other people's ideas - movies, books, short stories, whatever. The Matrix is hardly an original idea.
And also, I can't figure for the life of me what her being a black woman has to do with anything (the article at www.daghettotymz.com - the clever spelling may give some insight).
Don't get me wrong - if they ripped off her story she should be compensated. However - it doesn't appear that she was too careful with her script in the first place. It's nice that she had people to back her up but that can be a sticky situation if you don't have things formally copyrighted.

WizCraker
12-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Speaking of VR here is a little factoid on who created it.

Jaron Lanier is a computer scientist, composer, visual artist, and author.

Lanier is probably best known for his work in Virtual Reality. He coined the term ‘Virtual Reality’ and in the early 1980s founded VPL Research, the first company to sell VR products. In the late 1980s he lead the team that developed the first implementations of multi-person virtual worlds using head mounted displays, for both local and wide area networks, as well as the first "avatars", or representations of users within such systems. While at VPL, he co-developed the first implementations of virtual reality applications in surgical simulation, vehicle interior prototyping, virtual sets for television production, and assorted other areas. He lead the team that developed the first widely used software platform architecture for immersive virtual reality applications. Sun Microsystems acquired VPL’s seminal portfolio of patents related to Virtual Reality and networked 3D graphics in 1999.

Harry Houdini
12-29-2004, 06:25 AM
That was by far the best post I've read on this site. Wow Thx. But not so much from the stand point of weather she wrote the Matrix or not. All though personally I feel she did. But rather more from the fact that up until tonight I hadn't heard a word of this. So this proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Timewarner is far to large for our own good. They simply can't be trusted to report the News. How ever I don't blame them for sitting on this story. If I was Timewarner and something like this came out. I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone to know about it. It is just not in there best interest to do so. How ever they own 95% of the News market. So where else can one go to get reliable news?

Harry Houdini

P.S.
makes one wonder what else Timewarner is not telling us?