PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Points

sugna
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM
What is he best way to reduce points. I'm trying to use sasLight on a ground plane and it says I have to many points for the light version. Points in object are 38898. When trying to use the reduce points in modeler it says "You'll need some polygons for this operation to work".

Here's the object (http://www.sugnadesign.com/Uploads/land2_v005.lwo)

Shane :confused:

hrgiger
12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Well, I took a look at your model. First, I think you're using way too much geometry anyway. Since you are using a subpatch object, you could get away with a lot less. You're going to have to reduce it significantly to get saslite to work with it.

there are a few options. Use band glue. You can try reducing the number of polygons which of course will reduce the number of points. There's is a lot you could get rid of and still keep a similar shape.

Your other option is to freeze it and then run reduce polys + on it. I took your object, set my subdivision level to 3 in modeler and froze it. Then I ran reduce polys + on it, left it at it's default setting of 0.5. It left about 5, 000 points or so which apparently is low enough for saslite to work with. You'll find the base render below. Obviously, I didn't put a lot of work into it. It looks more like a naked italian mans back more then a grassy landcape.

As a sidenote, I'd just like to say what a crappy limitation that is. I mean, saslite is already limiting enough in that it is too poor quality to use at a production level (unless you're working on South Park or something) and it has very few controls on setting the look of the hair/fur. I'm sure glad we have fur and hair in Lightwave. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sugna
12-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your input. Can you recommend any other product for desert type foliage. Here is the scene I'm working on. I just decided to developed a different ground plane due to the render errors I was receiving using spot lights on the displacement mapped ground.

Click here to view (http://www.sugnadesign.com/clients/crowncouncil/2005event/desertdemo.htm)

Shane

hrgiger
12-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, the full version of sasquatch is great but you may not have $500 burning a hole in your pocket.

I really think if you have to, you can do that in saslite as long as you reduce the points in your model. The cacti you'll probably want to model though.

sugna
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all of your help