PDA

View Full Version : Print Assistant help. PLEASE

lunarus
12-06-2004, 12:10 AM
:confused: Okay, I've searched through the threads concerning DPI and Print Assistant and all that. I really didn't find what I need. So here is my question;

I need to have my final render come out to be a little over 1650 X 2550 @ 300dpi for a cover of a book. I need the bit extra for bleed. I have tried using Print Assistant and figuring out all that, but I don't know how, number one to get it to automaticly save an image when it is done rendering. I have tried under Render options, where it says output file. I check the box and name it and tell it where to go and all, but when it begins to render it has 'no output' in the render window. So that has me stumped (I know I'm a nob.) But I tried a test render and loaded it into PhotoShop 7 and it still says it is at 72dpi. I tried to vamp up the dpi with PS, but it looked horrid. And if I know anything it is you really cannot add dpi to a picture, especialy by that much. So I guess what I am asking is a two part question.

1: How do I make Lightwave auto save an image without having the image viewer on and having to go through that, that may be one problem?

2: How do I get it to save the finished rendered @ 300dpi I need for the printer when I set it in Print Assistant?

I love using LW and I really do not want to have to use Bryce 5 if I don't have to, but I do know that program has the render to disk option you use to get higher res. for printing and such.

Thanx for reading.

Lunarus :D

Silkrooster
12-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Try experimenting with the render to disk option in Bryce 5, so you can see what I am about to talk about.
If you had a photo that was 4" x 5" and printed at 300dpi you would have 4x300 by 5x300 or 1200x1500 pixels.
Now take a look at what I did, I took the paper size and multiplied it by the printed resolution and I get the actual pixels that make up that image.
So what that means is if I change the paper size or the dpi the number of pixels will change and vise versa is true as well. If I have a 1200x1500 pixel image I rendered and I want the page size to be larger, I would change the dpi to a smaller number. If I wanted the dpi to be higher, I would reduce the size of the page.
So to increase the dpi all you need to do in decrease the page size and the dpi will be larger. If you want the page size to be larger then you need to either decrease the dpi or increase the pixel count.
A book is somewheres around an 8 x 10 in size and to print the cover it would have to be printed at a minimum of 300 dpi, but I recommend 600 dpi for black and white and 1200 or 2400 dpi for color.
So a 8x10 book @1200 dpi would be, 9600x12000 pixels which is way higher than your trying to render at.
So when you look at an image and it says 9600x120000 pixels @72dpi, you will know all you need to do in an image editor is reduce the page size to 8x10 and your dpi will say 300dpi.
Silk

lunarus
12-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. If I go and render the image say at 1800 X 2700 and bring the final rendered image into PS, it will still be 300dpi even though PS is saying it is only 72dpi? And how do I get it to auto save an image after rending?

Thanx

Lunar :D

lunarus
12-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Scratch that last part of the question, I read the manual and figured it out myself. You have to press F10 like you are going to render for an animation and it will save it then.

LOL, guess I should read the whole thing.

Thanx anyway

PS: I still don't understand about the whole dpi thing in Lightwave. PhotoShop is still saying it is only 72dpi? I'm confused. Is there any other way to render it and have it at 300dpi, or am I just missing the whole concept here?

lunarcamel
12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
LW only renders at 72 DPI.

So figure out what size image you need at 300 dpi - in your case its 1650x2550.

1. Render at those settings..
2. Open photoshop and make a new 300 dpi image at 5.5in x 8.5
3. Open your render and copy and paste it into the new image

Should be all set.

I think you've been rendering at the right size but then resampling it to 300 - which causes it to look bad ;)

parm
12-06-2004, 02:37 PM
72 dpi is screen resolution,

If you want to print an image at 300 dpi and you know what size the printed image will be, lets say 7" x 5".

All you have to do is open the camera properties panel and type: 7*300 & 5*300 in the width and height fields Lightwave will do the calc for you.

When the image is rendered save it and open in Photoshop, open the image size pallette.

Uncheck resample image, replace 72 with 300, and there you have it, an image ready to print 7" x 5" at 300 dpi

Good luck
Parm

Silkrooster
12-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. If I go and render the image say at 1800 X 2700 and bring the final rendered image into PS, it will still be 300dpi even though PS is saying it is only 72dpi? And how do I get it to auto save an image after rending?

Thanx

Lunar :D
At 1800x2700 rendered at 72 dpi is 1800/72=25" by 2700/72=37 1/2". To increase the dpi you would either decrease the page size or increase the resolution your rendering at. At 1800x2700 rendered at 300dpi it would be 1800/300=6 and 2700/300=9 So your image is 6"x9"@300 dpi.

Parm is correct, if you tell your image editor to resample an image you are telling it to increase the dpi and the number of pixels by leaving the page size the same. This inturn will cause your image to be very pixelated. That is it will look very jagged.

When you increase or decrease the page size make sure the dpi is going the opposite direction. Same for the other way around. If you adjust the dpi make sure the page size is going the opposite direction. This is necessary for the pixels to stay the same.
Silk

Silkrooster
12-06-2004, 05:37 PM
You have to press F10 like you are going to render for an animation and it will save it then.

LOL, guess I should read the whole thing.

Thanx anyway
Pressing F10 is for rendering an animation, Since your trying to create an image for a cover of a book, you only need to press F9 to render a single image. Once the render is done at the top left of the rendered window will give you the option to save the image in several different formats.

And yes it is always a good idea to read and reread the manual at least three times. It is amazing how much new information you find each time, not to mention what you had forgotten from the first time you read it. ;)
It is also a very good idea to check out this link on tutorials:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
Silk