PDA

View Full Version : my first animation

Floyd Kurio
04-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Iíve been reading the forum for quite a while and now that I have finished my first Light Wave project, I thought I would participate and share it with you. I am still new at this and the rendering aspect pretraining to file size still has me baffled. If you can sit through the download (about 15 mb), I can accept your critique.

quicktime mov.

http://www.intergate.com/~floydk

Zombat
04-10-2003, 06:23 PM
That was really cool! I liked how the music selection kind of went with everything. Really fun to watch.

However, some parts of the animation were choppy - when the octopus hopped back onto the dolphin just before Croquet everything seemed to take a 'crease' frame - It went to the keyframe, and in a linear fashion (an angle in the graph editor, hence, crease) goes to the other point. This can be easily changed by changing that keyframe in the graph editor to a spline type, whichever one works better. The same sorta crease effect happens a couple other times in the animation, but other than that, its really cool. I like the morphs best, and the idea too.

hrgiger
04-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that was really good. It looks like a lot of work went into it The only thing that bothered me was the motion of the dolphin. It's a bit stiff and I think the whole animation would benefit greatly by refining his motion. More up and down motion of the tail and head and smoother translations from here to there.
How long have you been working on it?

Meaty
04-10-2003, 09:00 PM
hey! thats great! very imaginative... very ambitious for a first project! you definatly have a future in 3D... way to go!

marble_sheep
04-11-2003, 12:40 AM
That poor fish, he got thrown around quite a bit! Haha. Very cool, very creative, and definitely killer for a first animation. As mentioned already, the motion seems a little stiff in places, but it is still great, and has a neat story to it, which is a very important (some would possibly say the most important) element. Keep up the good work!

Floyd Kurio
04-11-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the complements and advice,

Zombat - you nailed it, those glitches kill me, I think Iím not quite doing something correctly with my parenting. I have not worked with the graph editor very much, it seems intimidating, but Iíll do more research and practice with it.

hrgiger - I agree about the dolphin, it is a bit stiff. It was my first character to model ,and Looking back, I think I was to conservative on the bone structure - could have used a few more in the tail and another in the neck/head, as well as one more in each fin.

Zombat
04-11-2003, 10:25 AM
It seems big and complex and scary...but its actually quite easy to screw around with. Yes - mess around with it, try something simple, like, height of a block, and smoothness of it going up and down, or even bouncing. use the graph editor for th Y-pos of the block, and fool around with spline type

Dillon
04-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Hey that was quite cool! original!

Like the others said, the animation can definitely be improved. If you take the time to learn the 12 principles of animation, it will help you out tremendously.

You've got a great idea here, and it deserves more attention to motion, timing, weight, etc. Keep working on it. I want to see more.

Dillon

Floyd Kurio
04-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Dillon - could you elaborate on the 12 principles of animation. You also mentioned ďweightĒ a perplexing issue when dealing with a underwater scene- any Ideas.

Epita
04-11-2003, 01:37 PM
i hate my 56k

Dillon
04-11-2003, 01:42 PM
The 12 Principles of Animation are fundamental to motion, movement, timing, characterization, exageration, etc. This is taught in animation schools everywhere. It brings characters to life, in living form.

Below is a link that describes a bit about what I'm talking about.

http://www.artof3d.com/other.htm#12

While the scene may be underwater, there is still weight on the characters. For example: when the blowfish and octopus swing around each other, they're creating inertia on each other, which is a kind of weight. They pull and tug on each other as they swing around. The dolphin bounces up and down without regard to the weight of the water around it. That's an example of what I mean by weight. Watch some whale videos if you can, you'll see what I mean.

I think you have a really good idea here, and attention to the motions of your characters (and camera) would help it tremendously.

Hope that helps... keep working on it! Its quite original.

Dillon

Floyd Kurio
04-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the info and link

Cassanovastein
04-11-2003, 08:09 PM
I agree with most the comments here. Most of crits about movement and shape are what I would have said as well. I found it to be really well animated for your first time out of the gate Floyd. Nice work.
I take it that you are not in a traditional animation program? You might think about finding a degree program to help you relieze your potential.

Floyd Kurio
04-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Your wright, Cassanovastein, I am not from a traditional animation program- just having a good time and winging it. Boy, is this a time consuming hobby. Maybe I bit off a little more than I could chew for a beginning project but the temptation was to great. Please - anyone, I would like some feed back on the style of one camera view ,without cuts, creating a continuos followed action. Does this hurt the animation and should I pursue a more traditional avenue.

Dillon
04-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Howdy,

In answer to your question about the camera... my answer is ... ultimately, thats up to you (the creator).

A question to ask yourself: Does the camera work take away from the animation, or add to it? Is it distracting, or does it fulfill your vision?

Based on the answers to those questions, you should have an answer to how to put the camera.

The way it is right now, the camera swings around - it detracts away from the animation happening in front of it.

Really hoping your continuing to work on it.... its clever, cute, enticing. Keep up the learning process!

Dillon