PDA

View Full Version : Newbie trying to make a simple room????

apache13
12-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Hello - I am a complete newbie to ligtwave. I have to create a room for my lightwave class. Up till now we have only worked with creating objects. I am having trouble getting started. How do you work with a room. I draw a box- then I flipped the polygons. Now I cannot see in the room. If I zoom in it still is really hard to work in the room. I would really appreciate any tips to get me going

thanks

Silkrooster
12-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Either make the box larger so the light and camera can easily fit inside that room, or reduce your grid size.
Silk

mattclary
12-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Or, try putting your walls in different layers and only display them when you need them.

Silkrooster
12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Just dawned on me, he is still modeling, my tips are more for layout. Oh well, when you start puting other objects into the room using layout , then remember my tips. :D

Silkrooster
12-04-2004, 10:19 PM
When modeling inside an object if you do not move far enough inside you can not see inside the object. The wall is actually blocking your view. This should apply if polys are facing outwards or your using double face polys. With polys facing inward you should have no problem seeing the far wall.
It may still be a good idea to make the box larger, then you don't have to worry about things like clipping.
Silk

apache13
12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the fast responses. They all helped allot :)

dablan
12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
And another way is to make the box.
Copy it to another layer. Size it up slightly.
Flip the polygons inward.
Then, with the original box in a background layer, do a boolean subtract
(shift b) to cut the smaller box out of the larger.

Make a window sized box in another layer, then put that in a background layer.
Make sure that it intersects the room and then boolean subtrack that to make
the windows.

Continue on like that.... and you can fly from the outside in, right through
the window in Layout.

Good luck!

Silkrooster
12-06-2004, 09:33 PM
What I like doing is create a box, smooth shifting the top poly, size the new poly inward for the thickness of the walls, smooth shifting again, then move that new poly downward toward the floor. Now you have an open top box. Create the roof as a separate object. This works nice for cathedral ceilings.
Silk