PDA

View Full Version : Earth Map - Highest res

Schwing
12-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Just curious. If the people who have made Earth Globes with high res maps would disclose the size of their maps. I found a 10k (pixel width) map but LightWave won't choak it down.

Tom

DarkLight
12-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Just curious. If the people who have made Earth Globes with high res maps would disclose the size of their maps. I found a 10k (pixel width) map but LightWave won't choak it down.

Tom

I have one here that is split into two 21600x21600 images. I've never tried using it in lightwave and i don't think i would ever want to :)

mgrusin
12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
I think the largest image map I got to work in LW (this was back in 7.x) was 8K square. Anything larger would crash it (no error message :rolleyes: ), but then again I 'only' have 1GB RAM.

For some nice maps, in very useful layers, check out NASA's Blue Marble (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/) project.

-MG.

Schwing
12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I think the largest image map I got to work in LW (this was back in 7.x) was 8K square. Anything larger would crash it (no error message :rolleyes: ), but then again I 'only' have 1GB RAM.

Yeah, that was my experiance. After 8k LightWave would just close out. And I've got 2GB of Ram.

Tom

problemchild
12-06-2004, 11:14 AM
I like using the 8k, 16k and even 21k maps available through the Visible Earth Project but never, of course, the whole thing at once. Rather, just cut out and tile the piece I want at the resolution I want at the appropriate dimensions to tile it on a spherical projection.

The attached image uses a 250m resolution MODIS image, or rather, a piece of the original image.

Probably a simpel thing, but it was a breakthrough for me to realize I could tile pieces of mercator projections on a sphere and maintain the registration.

also: the 21k visible earth (blue marble) images are readily downloadable but require a couple hurdles first in order to get permision to download the several hundred MB images.

cheers

-r

Schwing
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
I'll give that 21k image a try. LW would never handle it as a whole. But as a portion it should be workable.

Tom

Schwing
12-07-2004, 11:59 AM
also: the 21k visible earth (blue marble) images are readily downloadable but require a couple hurdles first in order to get permision to download the several hundred MB images.

cheers

-r

Wow, these files are monsters. Any reason why the northern polar region is missing from these maps?

Tom

Lightwolf
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
As a small, absolutely shameless plug...
The next version of infiniMap (http://www.infinimap.com) will support all of LWs texture projection modes, and will allow you to use virtually unlimited size textures...

Cheers,
Mike - scnr :D

problemchild
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
One reason is probably because the Polar Orbiting satellites, in this case the terra satellite never actually crosses the poles, rather skirts them completing an orbit in 90 minutes and continually striping out different regions of the earth as the planet rotates underneath.

the raw images used to create such mosaics can be seen in near realtime at:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/

Another problem we have up here (I'm in Alaska) is an apparent lack of sunlight which reduces the data available some times of the year.

cheers

-r