PDA

View Full Version : Not Band Saw, "Jig Saw"

bveenstra
12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Forgive the newbie...

I'm trying to model a highly decorative logo.

I've scanned the image into a high-rez backdrop and thought I'd use POINTS and then convert to 1Point Polys (although I don't really understand that). That became very difficult because the logo has both straight edges and ornate corners/curves...

This morning, I had the brainstorm to just create a thin BOX around the entire logo and then use "Band Saw" (not knowing what the heck it was). I used to have a Band Saw and Jig Saw that I'd make wood designs with...

Well, I've used Knife for some of the big cuts among the letters, but now I really need a virtual "JIG SAW" to "cut out" the pattern of the logo into separate polygons.

Am I doing something stupid here? Have I overlooked the correct tool? I haven't found what I'm looking for in the online manual yet.

Thanks in advance!

Silkrooster
12-03-2004, 06:02 PM
When you import an image that is from a scanner, it needs to be traced. You need to take the raster image and make it a vector image. If you have a program like Corel Draw, or adobe Illustrator, you can easily trace the image.
If you don't you can still do that manually in Lightwave, you can use points, splines, bezier, pen or sketch. Each of these have there strength and weaknesses. Sketch would be the most fastest, but not very accurate, it would produce very wavy looking sides to your object. Pen tool is very quick, but can not produce curves. Splines produce curve but it is hard to create straight line. Bezier tool can produce straight and curved lines, but takes a little practice using them, this is probable the best approch. Both splines and bezier can produce a lot of points as lightwave determines the number of points, whereas pen, and points tools you determine the number of points. Lastly points tool, points are probably the most versitile of the bunch, they can be straight, curved, be used as 1 point polys and 2 point polys.
If you can use the points tool you alsmost there. Once the points are down and they are still selected, just use the make poly command, this will make a flat object of your image. If you don't see it, rotate your textured window and see if it is upside down. If it is, you can press the f key, this will flip that poly so that it is pointing towards you.
Now you need to make it 3D, you can select that poly and extrude it, this will create a sharp edge. You can select the poly and use the bevel command, this will produce a slanted edge. Or you just try out one of the other tools on the multiply tab. For example you could extrude your object, then use rounder to create rounded edges.
I guess the best thing to to is play with each tool and see what it does. Dont forget to check the manual, it give a good explaination of each tool. If your still not sure, go ahead post back here and someone will help. Good Luck
Silk

bveenstra
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the great advice Silk!

Being in Christmas mode, didn't get a chance to play with my new hobby this weekend!