PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw in LW?

bveenstra
12-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Forgive the newbie...

I'm trying to model a highly decorative logo.

I've scanned the image into a high-rez backdrop and thought I'd use POINTS and then convert to 1Point Polys (although I don't really understand that). That became very difficult because the logo has both straight edges and ornate corners/curves...

This morning, I had the brainstorm to just create a thin BOX around the entire logo and then use "Band Saw" (not knowing what the heck it was). I used to have a Band Saw and Jig Saw that I'd make wood designs with...

Well, I've used Knife for some of the big cuts among the letters, but now I really need a virtual "JIG SAW" to "cut out" the pattern of the logo into separate polygons.

Am I doing something stupid here? Have I overlooked the correct tool? I haven't found what I'm looking for in the online manual yet.

Thanks in advance!

hrgiger
12-03-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't do a lot of logos but I just did one for a car I was making. I just started with two points and extended it out over the logo and then extruded it and bandsawed it. Can you post a picture of what you're trying to make? That would be the easiest way to get advice.

Here was the one I did.

bveenstra
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
wow, what a quick response... here's a test render... sorry I'm just trying to dive in and learn this... notice the POINTS around the E...

hrgiger
12-03-2004, 12:48 PM
I guess perhaps I should have asked you to post a wireframe of the letters. It's hard to make out what is going on there in the E. It could be a number of things.

bveenstra
12-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Sorry... when I get back to my LW workstation, I'll render a clean wireframe or a shot of Modeler... :(

Ztreem
12-04-2004, 05:43 AM
Looks like you have a bunch of one point polys there. Go into modeler and press "w" for statistics. If you're in point selection it will say point statistics when you press "w" then press the spacebar once to change it to polygon statistics. Now look if you have any 1 vertex polygons. If you do, select them with clicking on the little white"+". Now press delete. Now the problem should be solved.

bveenstra
12-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks Z!

That was the trick... I didn't get to it over the weekend, but just tried it and now those points are gone when Rendering...

I'm sorry I don't know even how to ask this... but is there a way I can keep the 1 point Polys (so I can add depth to the letters), but remove the rough edges where I put a lot of points?

Thanks!

Ztreem
12-07-2004, 02:10 AM
You can keep them if you want. just select them as before but instead of deleting them you can copy them to another layer.

I think the real question is why do you need one point polys???

If I did that logo I'll either use Adobe Illustrator or just points in modeler. Then do the outline of the logo with points, select them in order and make a ploygon from that. Then extrude it, Done!