PDA

View Full Version : right codec to use for dvd production

aflores
04-10-2003, 01:57 PM
I have completed an editing session. I need to render the timeline so that I can then take it to my DVD software and produce a DVD. I need to know what codec to use that would give me the best quality (I am shooting on DV) and still not create some huge files. I have about an hour and ten minutes of video to render and put on a DVD so file size is important as much as is the quality of the picture.

Albert:)

wvp
04-10-2003, 07:50 PM
AL,
It sounds like you have DV files on your timeline. In that case I would render the project out as a DV (avi) file. If the project is in the rtv format and you can spare the space, render as an rtv. In other words I would not compress the project only to compress (or change the compression) again going to the mpeg dvd format.

All that said, once the project is saved as one clip, Get yourself a copy of TMPGEnc (http://www.tmpgenc.net/) and use this to encode to MPEG (DVD) format for the best quality possible. For help using TMPGEnc, check out this site (http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html) . Be sure to check the preferences that dual processors are check, etc if you have these - it will speed up the conversion. Also, if you do want to use an rtv file in TMPGEnc you need to add the RTV plugin. (http://www.videotoasternt.com/files/index-vt2plg.html)
With VT[3], direct support for TMPGEnc will be included.

aflores
04-10-2003, 08:26 PM
I really appreciate your quick reply!!! I am going to try the download and follow your instructions to the "T"

Albert

creach
04-11-2003, 09:17 AM
We *just* purchased TMPGEnc. We downloaded the rtv filter for it, processed our project with it, and burned a DVD.

It was really easy.

Dan

Videolink
04-11-2003, 09:20 AM
We recommend TMPGEnc as well.
Everyone using it has been satisfied with the results.

magendim
04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
yes, TMPGEnc is well worth the $50. Works well.

The DVD-hq.info TMPGEnc setup guide is very handy. The only problem I found is the GOP structure recommended is non-standard and causes playback problems on some set top DVD players (I=1, P=4, B=1, Max Frames = 18). We have found that using the default structure works just as well and has better compatibility (I=1, P=5, B= 2, Frames=18).

Mike

ScorpioProd
04-14-2003, 10:23 PM
I also recommend TMPGEnc for your MPEG-2 encoding, and staying with the default GOP structure, NOT the non-standard structure the above referenced website mentions.

Check out my article in NewtekPro #7 for full instructions on producting DVDs with Toaster, TMPGEnc and DVD Workshop.

magendim
04-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Eugene
I would be interested in reading your article, but could not find it. Please post the direct link or email to me, [email protected]

Thanks!

ScorpioProd
04-14-2003, 11:43 PM
Ah, I don't believe there's an actual on-line version of it on the NewtekPro website... But I'll e-mail it to you.

wvp
04-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Eugene, I would not mind seeing this as well. I have tried twice over the past year to subscribe to NewtekPro, but I have never received a response.
My email: [email protected]
Thank you!

ted
04-15-2003, 10:56 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but it was worthy of posting here also. Man I'm excited...

To hell with all this rendering and authoring BS!!!:mad:

Today I ordered a Phillips Stand Alone DVD+R from Curtis @ Pro Video & Sound.
For under $700.00, now I can just play the video ďREAL TIMEĒ and record to the DVD like another VTR.
It may not have all the menu options that some programs have, but all I need at the most is to set-up 1 to 5 menus with the clientís projects. Usually just a single Menu.

Now I can afford to charge a reasonable dub fee and make DVDís as quickly as a Beta Dub.

Itís funny that in just the last month, Iíve had more requests for DVDís then in as long as Iíve owned the business.

Kurt_Henning
04-15-2003, 11:10 PM
We bought one a while ago. It easily pays for itself and does not tie uo a computer. Now it is easy to say "If you want authoring with menus its X, but if you are on a budget, we can make a one hour copy for $20."

It is an easy sell. It;s easy to use

The menus are ugly, buy who cares for $700

ScorpioProd
04-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Guess what, I can finally tell you that "real-time" is SLOW. :)

See, Tim J. always felt that software with faster and faster host systems was the way to go, and he was right, but not only for Toasting.

Hardware encoding used to be faster than software. NOT ANYMORE.

I'll post more details after I do a lot more testing and tweaking, but with my new dual-Xeon 2.8GHz system, I can now use TMPGEnc with full dual optimiztions set to get 1.5 time FASTER than real-time encoding! :)

Combine that with a 4X burner, and the advantages of stand-alone hardware for real-time is loosing it's gloss pretty fast.

ted
04-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Dam you Eugene, don't burst my bubble!;)
Don't you have to spend time getting your project ready for the process?

I'll stick with the easy dub from the timeline process for now. Plus I like the ability to keep my computer free for other stuff.

ScorpioProd
04-16-2003, 02:13 PM
"Getting the project ready for the process"... Ah, I assume you mean rendering out to one clip first? Well, not with T[3]. Just straight from the time line. ;)