PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this?

twister47
12-02-2004, 09:08 PM
I've been playing around for days trying to simulate the effect of raindrops hitting water. Not just one, but a ton, over a lake during a thunderstorm. I've tried a lot of methods and I'm really starting to get frustrated. :(

I've looked on yahoo and google trying to find a good video for referance and came up with nothing and I searched this forum along with cgtalk and I just cant seem to find any solid solutions that dont cost money.

The way I'm currently trying to do it is with displacements and referance nulls, I've got the randomness down I just cannot seem to be happy with the look of my ripples. The Ripple procedural texture that comes with LW doesnt seem to be very helpful because it never stops. You cant just be like, I want three ripples from each raindrop and thats it.

I've really been trying to think outside the box on this one. But I think its time that I ask for some advice and I cant believe no one has attempted it before.

Seriously, any help right now would be incredibly appreciated.

Silkrooster
12-02-2004, 11:08 PM
The attached mov file was created using an emitter and cloth fx on the water. I think if you play with the setting enough, you should beable to make it more realistic.
Silk

Dodgy
12-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Well if you don't necessarily need it to be totally accurate, the IFW2 shader collection comes with a raindrop shader, or there's a free displacement shader called Ripple_s which you can look for on www.flay.com which does rippled impact with objects, although it's a bit slow. I would recommend the ClothFX route as Silk suggested if you want accuracy...

gjjackson
12-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Have a look at this.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/gerardo_drop/gerardo_drop_01.asp

---ZENO---
12-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Apply a procedural called "crust". And place this just beneath your lake texture, in the color channel, within the surface editor.

Change the blending mode to texture dispacement. You can now animate the Y-AXIS position of the crust procedural.

Hopefully that will help you twister47

Regards

mattclary
12-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Also, "LightWave Applied Version 6.5 and 7"

twister47
12-03-2004, 09:15 AM
First thank you guys for all the replys.

Of all the solutions you guys gave I played around a bit and Zeno's idea with using Crust actually came out fairly believeable.

Its not really an accurate method by any means, and if you look you actually see some ripples going in rather then going out, but my scene is going to be fairly dark so I think with the addition of some extra ripples that I'm going to explain below, it might work out pretty nicely.

Last night I thought about that ripple texture and realized that I could make a fairly decent ripple by using envelopes on both its falloff and opacity.

If I started the falloff at 100% so it was dissolved completely, and then moved it out further to say 70% and then start lowering the opacity down to 0%, I think I might be able to make a believeable ripple.

So I'm gonna combine these two methods and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks Again
Nate