PDA

View Full Version : keyframe tension bug?

eblu
12-02-2004, 04:25 PM
hi,
got an 11th hour SERIOUS bug.
has anybody eve noticed wildly aberrant behavior with the tension, continuity or bias of keyframes in 8.0.1?

as of right this moment, when I set :
tension = 1
continuity = -1 to 1
bias = -1 to 1

my keyframe looks correct in the graph editor, nice and soft spline curves, that indicate a smooth change of directions for the position of my object.
However... in the Layout viewport and render I get sharp and crisp movements, as if I had set my keyframes to linear interpolation. its the exact opposite of the desired behavior, and after 2 of us looking at it, we believe LW has a SERIOUS BUG. can anyone confirm this?

o right, guess i should mention this bit... its not by any means consistent, so I don't expect many of you to be able to confirm this bug. just one other confirmation would make me feel much more sane.

btw: I now officially hate LW. sure theres some love in there, but NO APPLICATION SHOULD CRASH JUST AS YOU TRY TO SAVE A FILE.

eblu
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
it is now 7:54 pm.
I have spent about 3 hours trying to do something VERY SIMPLE.
I know exactly what I want, would have taken half an hour, IF LIGHTWAVE WORKED AS ADVERTISED!
LW has been crashing left right sideways and upside down. I have rebooted, deleted pref files... the whole bit.

Now at 8 pm, when its much too late for me to render anything for tomorrow, Lightwave has given me a special treat.

IT ATE MY #$%^% SCENE FILE!

while saving, lw crashed again, this time it had erased all of the data in my scene file, I am not going to sit here and redo the work, what is the point? can't render it over night, the deadline for that was THREE HOURS AGO!

This is whats wrong with Lightwave today. it is NOT STABLE. quit adding plugins/features/or IM clients. FIX whats broken.

o whats that you say? did the hub save an incremental version? No it did not. Why? well, The hub is in the trash, probably overwritten by now... because it is a source of problems, not a solution.

sorry. I needed to vent. Newtek, pull it together, and start making good products again.

toby
12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
ouch.

well, too late to help here, but next time you see abrupt movement in otherwise smooth keyframes, turn on 'show velocity' in the GE and tweak the tension until that curve is smooth too. Then there's always bezier handles -

exit6
12-03-2004, 12:37 AM
weird. i've never had a problem, although I usually only use tension anyway. sucks about your scene getting wiped out though.

eblu
12-03-2004, 05:38 AM
toby,
ummm... show velocity?
Lightwave was going psycho, it couldn't make up its mind what was happening. the graph editor reported the correct kind of curve while the 3d viewport... didnt.
show velocity (and I believe I'll get a chance to test it today as I redo the work from scratch for the LAST time) would most likely be a waste. we're not talking about subtle differences here, with tension set to 1, continuity set to 0, and bias set to 0... the graph editor was showing curved lines, while the object was traveling in complete, laser straight, not even remotely smooth, lines.

interesting enough... bezier curves didnt affect the problem, they inherited broken spline handles from the TCB, and unlike other programs that make use of splines, there is no obvious way to make the bezier keyframe tangental. there is a nice ease in and ease out function, which turns your keyframe Back into the offending TCB type, which was useless. Hermite splines were the best, but LW was actively reverting them to TCB on its own.
Suffice it to say that it was a huge can of worms, and what I spent 3 hours doing was making keyframes that should already be smooth, smooth by brute force, determination, and dogged perseverance. It was a joy and a pleasure to have all my hard work (which Should have been unnecessary) wiped out by Lightwave.

I can't believe this application was tested at all before it was released.

toby
12-03-2004, 09:27 PM
well no, show velocity won't fix bugs :^)
I didn't realize it was that whacked - changing keyframe types on it's own??

Can you attach a scene file so we can see if it does the same thing on our machines?

harlan
12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure that what you're experiencing could be classified as a bug specifically (not saying that it isn't, but it certainly seems to be an isolated incident). Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but I've been using LW since day one and have honestly never heard of this problem - so I'm actually very curious.

Have you re-installed Lightwave completely? Also, what is your Mac setup like? Would it be possible for you to post the file that you're experiencing the trouble with? That would make it a helluva lot easier to diagnose. If you have another LW box setup, can you pull the scene up on it and see if you get the same results?

While I have heard of LW trashing scene files, etc..., I've never had it happen myself. My LW experience has been satisfactory from a "bug" standpoint, my big ***** with it is the lack of "duh" features. You know, the features that have been around for 15 years, and are considered standard working practices, the lack of these irks me. ;)