PDA

View Full Version : particles taking shape ?

ommy
12-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have advice on shaping particle flows? I'm using particle's to create smoke but i need the smoke to shape letters and, in turn, make a word. Just a puff of smoke visualising a few letters... I've been thinking about creating the letters, make 'm 100% transparant and use these objects to "trap" the particles, so that they form the letters. But somehow i have the feeling there's a better way.I read stuff about water filling up objects and such so i hope i'm not repeating a question that's been asked for a 100 times, if i am, i apologize!!

Thanks for helping me out
ommy

Wonderpup
12-02-2004, 03:57 PM
I think the best way to do this is to use morph targets. You can build the shapes with normal geometry, and when you are happy with the shapes, kill the polys and bring the points into layout ( the points will retain their morph targets) then apply hypervoxels to the points- this way will give you the most control.

Dodgy
12-02-2004, 05:34 PM
You could use an object with collision set to Sticky or Attract, or you could use a Wind set to Path mode and then key framed to spell out the word.

That would look something like this:

ommy
12-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the explanation :) i used the first method, so i killed the polys and assigned hypervoxels to the points, i wonder what should be used if you wanted to fill a logo or something with water, guess you should make your logo a collision object and bounce some particles off on the surface from within,.... ?

Anyway, thanks a lot :)
ommy