PDA

View Full Version : Toaster Crash while recording.

bklock
12-02-2004, 07:11 AM
I am new to the toaster world. We saw Paul Lara demo the unit at Weva, and I thought that this would be just perfect for some new business we were getting. Just bought a VT4 Live bundle for our business as we are doing several conferences for some of our area's large businesses.

I was doing one last night, Very simple setup... 4 live camera feeds via composite inputs. A static logo loaded into DDR3. A static background in DDR2. Using DDR1 to capture Program Out. No CG's or any DSK stuff at all. The swithching was all just simple fade stuff.

Fortuantely I made it through the enitre presentation. As the conference closed the producer asked for us to show a shot of the room emptying while people exited. I loaded up a PiP DVE to put the logo in the corner. After transitioning out of the PIP, the toaster locked up.

Obviously I am concerned that the Toaster locked, but even more importantly, when I got back in there was NO evidence of the capture I was doing in my DDR. One of the major selling points to my client was the Direct Digital capture capabilities.... now I have no digital file. Fortuantely I had a DVD-Recorder as backup... but now I will have to apture from it and try to explain the compression artifacts.

Is there any way to recover a 'lost' recording? Is there some temp file somewhere that I can find?

If I use the chop function in the DDR, will it drop frames? Now that I had this happen, I am more likely to chop periodically, but I can't sacrifice any frames.

Thanks
Brian Klock
STC Productions

Jim Capillo
12-02-2004, 07:23 AM
I am new to the toaster world. We saw Paul Lara demo the unit at Weva, and I thought that this would be just perfect for some new business we were getting. Just bought a VT4 Live bundle for our business as we are doing several conferences for some of our area's large businesses.

[snipped]

Brian, start by telling us the specs of your host computer, including number and type of drives. Having the correct configuration (read computer power) is the most important thing to be able to do what you want it to do. Did a dealer build your machine?

It can do what you tried to do, it's just that most folks need to do a certain amount of tweaking to get max performance.

When you started recording, did you point to your video RAID so it would be recorded there? It may be in another spot. Start recording again and see where it puts the file. If you find it in a different spot, copy it over to your RAID.

As for your lost files, enable view all files in the folder menu and go look for a temp file on your RAID. Try renaming that to *.rtv.

Good luck

ted
12-02-2004, 11:07 AM
First of all, congrats on being so paranoid that you have a back-up. That shows your level of concern for your customer AND your business. Don't EVER lose that!

I do think you will lose a couple frames if you use "Chop". But others might have found otherwise.