PDA

View Full Version : dragging window leaves trails

Heimhenge
04-10-2003, 11:59 AM
I really expected my upgrade from a Radeon 32M to a GF4 Ti4600 128M would solve this problem, but it didn't. PNY's and nVidia's website offered no clues either.

When I drag a window inside Layout or Modeler it leaves this annoying trail that obscures the background. As soon as I release the mouse button it disappears (the trail, not the button).:)

Any ideas why this happens?

Mylenium
04-10-2003, 01:05 PM
That's simply due to LW's OpenGL implementation.. no need to worry.

Mylenium

Heimhenge
04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
So is it a bug or a feature? Can I get rid of it?

Stewpot
04-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Hi Heimenge,

I'm using an Asus Ti4600 and I don't have that problem.

When I move a window the 'shadow' outline moves and when I release the mouse button the window snaps to the new position.

Maybe its a driver issue.

Heimhenge
04-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, I got a PNY Ti4600 (but do have an Asus mobo which I love) and I've had these problems from day 1 ... in a couple other apps besides LW too.

As I said, I was hoping the new graphics card would fix it, but it didn't. I almost positive it ain't a driver issue, as I've got the latest across the board over the last week. BIOS, AMD, VIA, nVidia all current. I don't get this artifact with any other moving objects onscreen. Everything else is real smooth.

WIN2K
1G DDR
Asus A7M266
Athlon 1.4G
LW 7.5

Any insights would be most appreciated. Thanks!

bedlam
04-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Opengl or redraw issue. Perhaps the app is giving up redraw cycles for performance. I get the same thing when rendering and moving panels or rendering and switching back and forth from lightwave to another app. I think the app is simply putting the redraw on hold for opengl when it is not truly necessary.

Lightwave is one of the smoothest running 3d Apps I've used, with not much lag if any regarding the interface. I don't thing replacing your video card or changing drivers will fix this, nor is it a critical problem.

Stewpot, methinks your "show window contents while dragging" option is off in windows. This only happens when that option is on.

Mylenium
04-10-2003, 11:30 PM
This is actually a feature, though not totally in control of LW. You can tweak this behaviour by adjusting front and back buffers for OpenGL in your graphics card's settings. However, there is a good chance you can screw things up completely - it is a rather complex thing to find the right settings.

Mylenium

Heimhenge
04-11-2003, 08:13 PM
OK, turning off the "Show Window Contents While Dragging" option in display properties makes the problem go away. I've always had this feature "on" even before LW, so it's a little disorienting to only see the window borders now, but I suspect I'll get used to it. It's better than seeing the smear. But ...

I'm gonna talk to PNY about those buffer settings, though, as the behavior in LW is substantially different than what I get on an open Windows desktop ... the dragged windows don't leave streaks there.

I'll post what they tell me here. Thanks all.

Shrubman
04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
where do I find this "display contents while dragging" setting? I have gone through my entire diplay control panel and cannot find it.

Heimhenge
04-11-2003, 11:34 PM
What OS are you running?

Shrubman
04-12-2003, 09:21 AM
windows xp

Heimhenge
04-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Go to your Display Properties, Appearance, Effects. There you will find a radio button to enable/disable "Show Window Contents When Dragging" and several other bugs ... errr ... effects.