PDA

View Full Version : font selector too slow??

mats4d_
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Hello,

I dont know if anyone else noticed this before, I did a search and dont see any similar issues.. I have about 1000 fonts installed (not "a lot") I dont think.

when loading fonts into lightwave 8.0.1 under manage fonts, I open the pull-down and proceed to scroll down the fonts list.. it just takes forever to scroll in either direction, it always starts alphabetically.. if I need a font that starts with "Y" it takes 2 minutes literally to get there.

I didnt notice this on the PC version, I guess another bug for the mac version, any workarounds?

I would be nice if they RECODE the whole program for OSx, not just porting over and patching the PC version which is obviously what they did.

Any news on a real MAC version made from ground up for the mac?? that would be nice.

thanks !

drclare
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't think it is just the fonts menu, i think all of the mrnus scroll very slow. I have the same problem when scrolling through lists of weightmaps. As far as a Mac version being written from ground up, i wouldn't count on it. I think we're stil lucky there is a Mac version at all.

jdavidbakr
12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
That's one of the reasons why I hate Modeler's text tool... I always build text in Illustrator first, never touch the text tool.

mats4d_
12-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Yes, I agree with both of you :(

its a shame.. I noticed it on any long drop downs, you are right.. and I can imagine there is a supply/demand and a financial factor behind not coding LW for OSX from the ground up.. which really sucks.. I think the program could work a LOT better as a whole.. if optimized for MACs

Anyway, hope NT reads these posts from time to time. on the Illustrator solution, yes I ended up doing that, since there is also no way to preview the fonts in Modeler.. so I just have to go to Illustrator, type what I need, and export an EPS.

Not super cool for a $1500+ piece of software, I think all this should be built in.

aaaaanyway, hope they get a specialized team of coders for the MAC platform someday and just re code the whole thing.

Thanks for the replies - Merry Xmas. + Happy New Year

jdavidbakr
12-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Not super cool for a $1500+ piece of software, I think all this should be built in.
For what it can do, though, I think it's well worth the $1500 price tag...