PDA

View Full Version : RS 8 acting up

nevmoor
12-01-2004, 02:49 PM
ME AGAIN!!!

the RS8 unit is doing wierd things. Sometimes when VT is booted the RS8 works like a charm. Sometimes the VT doesnt even recognize the RS8( which doesnt light up at all) Today, the 234 and 7 buttons on the prreview row are on and 5 on the program side is flashing so fast it looks like a strobe light. I have no idea what to do. I have unplugged replugged, shut down restarted kille RTME etc.....
Ant ideas from you real Toaster dudes???

Jim Capillo
12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
ME AGAIN!!!

the RS8 unit is doing wierd things. Sometimes when VT is booted the RS8 works like a charm. Sometimes the VT doesnt even recognize the RS8( which doesnt light up at all) Today, the 234 and 7 buttons on the prreview row are on and 5 on the program side is flashing so fast it looks like a strobe light. I have no idea what to do. I have unplugged replugged, shut down restarted kille RTME etc.....
Ant ideas from you real Toaster dudes???

That's a USB connection, right? If so, have you changed or added anything USB recently?

nevmoor
12-01-2004, 03:31 PM
No I have not. Except for using a USB memory stick. Would that mess up the RS8 driver??

Jim Capillo
12-01-2004, 04:23 PM
No I have not. Except for using a USB memory stick. Would that mess up the RS8 driver??

I haven't a clue.....but you could try an uninstall/reinstall to eliminate that.

Paul Lara
12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
One thing to try is to change the Preference setting AWAY from auto and to manually point to the serial port its using:

- Press (Windows key + Pause/Break) to go to System Properties
- Hardware tab, go to Device Manager button
- in the Device Manager Window, click the '+' next to Ports (COM & LPT)
- With the list visible, unplug and re-plug your RS-8. You'll see which COM Port it is assigned to
- Now, in VT[4] Prefs, go to Switcher (toward the bottom)
- Change Switcher Surface connected option from 'Automatically detect' to COMx

nevmoor
12-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Paul, I have VT3 and the autodetect is already on in the prefs. I dont use the com ports at all. Each time i try to get the VT to recognize the RS8 it does something a little different. Lately the RS8 has been strobing various preview buss buttons.
I have only gotten it to work once in the last 3 days.

I get the windows 'boink' when I plug/unplug the RS8 but it never gives me the "Tbar flash" to reset the position or anything.

I hope no one has damaged the unit itself. I have no idea what type of torture it may have been through!!!

Paul Lara
12-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Paul, I have VT3 and the autodetect is already on in the prefs.

If you'll re-read my suggestion, it is to get away from auto-detect, and manually select the COM port.

I dont use the com ports at all.

You may not think so, but the RS-8 is indeed using a COM Port, even though it connects via USB.

I get the windows 'boink' when I plug/unplug the RS8 but it never gives me the "Tbar flash" to reset the position or anything.

Re-read my instructions above and you may discover that when that's happening it is assigning a COM port out of range (COM 12, COM 16, etc.)

nevmoor
12-02-2004, 07:13 AM
OK Paul, I followed your instructions and the computer restarted itself when I choose the com port (which is 3 by the way)

Now VT gets the runtime error and wont restart!!!

Paul Lara
12-02-2004, 07:59 AM
EEK! :eek:
That's quite unpleasant. An unprompted machine re-boot can be symptomatic of hardware problems. Let's see what happens if you go back into Device Manager, and change the properties from COM3 to say COM6.

nevmoor
12-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Okay, doing that now. I'm on the job doing other projects so hang with me for a while

nevmoor
12-02-2004, 09:16 AM
VT started!!!
Whew!
What next??

tonsofpcs
12-02-2004, 11:20 PM
You may not think so, but the RS-8 is indeed using a COM Port, even though it connects via USB.
Does this mean that the RS-8 has a USB-to-RS232c adapter hidden inside of it, and it's really just a RS232c device?

JReble
12-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Makes sense. It was designed originally as a serial device with an external power supply. They quickly changed that to a USB device without need for external power. A USB to serial conversion would allow for that kind of change quite quickly.

Paul Lara
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Does this mean that the RS-8 has a USB-to-RS232c adapter hidden inside of it, and it's really just a RS232c device?

It's actually a software driver that does this. ;)

nevmoor
12-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Paul, Im at the VT now. VT works cool but, I still have no communication with the RS8

nevmoor
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
OH well, just been called away.

nevmoor
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
So am I going to have to get a new RS8??

Paul Lara
12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
VT works cool but, I still have no communication with the RS8

What happens when you set the Preference for Switcher Surface | Automatically Detect RS-8 ?

nevmoor
12-04-2004, 05:00 PM
It doesnt recognize the RS8. Actually the RS8 doesnt light up at all usually. For a while,I could relaunch a few times and it may see it. Now the most I get is a bunch of strobing preview lights on it. Also, I rarely got the Tbar calibration lights to flash on start up too.

Paul Lara
12-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Sounds like a tech support call is in order. something may have toasted internally.

erizner
12-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I've been having problems as well with my RS-8. Not recognizing, any slow transistion would crash VT4. I now have it on a POWERED USB Hub and it is working flawlessly.
Eric

CynthiaR
05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I am also having a problem with my RS-8. The com port setting is correct (COM3) but the device does not work as it used to, doesn't even light up. There haven't been posts on this subject in quite a while. Is a USB hub the answer, or is there something else I can try?

tonsofpcs
05-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I am also having a problem with my RS-8. The com port setting is correct (COM3) but the device does not work as it used to, doesn't even light up. There haven't been posts on this subject in quite a while. Is a USB hub the answer, or is there something else I can try?
Have you tried 'autodetect'?

nevmoor
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Just to update. I never got the RS8 working again. I am basically on my own with it as the company has moved on to FCP HD stations for all the editing(except for a Velocity system). I cant get anyone to OK the $ it would take to send the unit in for an overhaul and check the RS* so for now I am using it every now and then to do an edit.

I havent needed the RS8 for anything so.....

CynthiaR
05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Have you tried 'autodetect'?

Yes, but that doesn't work either.

COTVDON
06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
It's on com3, but if I manually direct it to com3, I get a shut-down.

It is seen by the device manager when I plug or unplug it, but it doens't light up or have any function.

Advice is appreciated.

don

nevmoor
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Just for the record this is exactly the same thing that happens to me. Again I have not needed the RS8 and have not really bugged NT for advice yet. If you get an answer please inform me of what happens. Right now the RS8 is way down on my list or things to take care of.

Thanks

Paul Lara
06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Some good news:
NewTek is aware of the issue, and has tracked down the problem.
We will be making the improved RS-8 drivers available as part of the free update to VT[4] version 4.5, which is entering final testing. ;)

COTVDON
06-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the update Paul.

dh

CynthiaR
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
My RS-8 problem turned out to be the RS-8 itself. I brought mine back to the dealer and they tried it out on two different systems. Dead... It is being sent in for repair...

Cynthia

edweibe
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
I am troubleshooting a flakey rs-8.
I took an extension cable off of the rs-8 and at least now it works except for the fader handle.

Not my thread but just chiming in with my RS-8 woes.

A new vt4 driver will do me no good. I'm vt3

Did you know your Rs-8 may still be powered up even though the computer is off? You need to unhook your power cord entirely then reboot your system. Its not reset unless you do this.

As for me.... I have a jittery fade handle on my display for the duration of the dissolve every time and it doesnt dissolve unless I use my keyboard spacebar.

bobby
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Put me on the list for a flakey RS-8. I'm truly beginning to hate this thing. I've sent my RS-8 back to Newtek twice for various issues with it. I got it back about a month ago and it's worked fine since.

Today I decided to upgrade to 4.5 and now I really regret it. RS-8 once again has problems. I've tried having it auto-detect, manually setting the COM port, unplugging and plugging back in. What's weird is it works ok for about 30 seconds once I fire up VT, but then eventually it stops responding to any button pushes, then all of the lights go off. I can reboot, have it work for a few cuts and dissolves, even with the t-bar, but eventually it stops doing anything.

Guess I'll try a powered USB hub. I hope that works but I don't have much faith. I use the RS-8 every week and really don't like using a keyboard for a temporary replacement.

I'm gonng keep futzing with this stupid thing...

bobby
09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I tried a powered USB hub, didn't seem to help. It's being so squirrely. It works initially for a minute or so. If I leave it alone and don't touch any buttons or the T-bar, the lights go off until I touch it again. It will continue to work for a little bit, then eventually it makes VT4 Stop Responding and I get big ol' BSOD. Arrghh. What have I done? I should listen to myself and not update or fix something that ain't broken.

So I guess VT4.5 came with newer RS-8 drivers? I tried updating the drivers by pointing them to c:\VT4\Drivers\RS8 USB DRIVERS, but it tells me I have the latest drivers installed. I tried uninstalling the device with it plugged in, then unplugged it, then plugged it back in, hoping it would allow me to install newer drivers, but it just redetects it and automatically installs drivers.

Maybe I just have a lemon. I mean I have sent this thing back to Newtek twice already for weird behavior. Each time they have replaced a component or two and sent it back and it works for a while, then it eventually craps out again. Just seems pretty coincidental that it craps out right after applying the 4.5 update.

Ehh, I'm tired of screwing with it today, I'm going home...

bobby
09-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, I RMA'd my RS-8 again, got it replaced, not just fixed, and it appears to be working now. Props to Newtek. It's obviously a newer version as it has red, green and blue lights. My old RS-8 had all red lights. Cool.

Just have to appreciate Newtek helping me out. I was pretty frustrated in my last two posts, so I wanted to follow up with appreciation. Everything seems to be good to go now (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, any other silly superstitions...).

AHS RTV
11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
When we used our VT4 on Friday, the RS-8 worked. Now on Monday, we started up the computer the RS-8 had no lights or anything. We unplgged it and then plugged it back in. The hardware auto-detect came on and found it, but said unknown device. We tried to reinstall the driver by going in through the add hardware wizard and told it to look in the RS8 drivers and found nothing. Any ideas or tips? Thanks.

bobby
12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry for just now noticing your post. I had those same symptoms when my RS-8 died on me. I found that when your pc detects the device but it is recognized as an unknown device, and pointing it to the RS-8 driver folder produces no results, it usually means your RS-8 is fried. At least in my experience it did. Even a clean format and reload of the pc ad no effect.