PDA

View Full Version : Camera data into After Effects?

Carbon71
12-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Can anyone point me to any tuts or advise in exporting camera data to Afx?
(i mean actually getting RPFs to work)

I'm trying to figure this out before I throw in the towel and just learn C4d that integrates great with Afx.

Thanks,
Carbon

NanoGator
12-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Off the top of my head, I don't know. But it's gotta be possible. Somebody could probably write a quick LScript to do it. AE's use of the clipboard is in clear text. So writing a plugin that put the right data into the clipboard would be easy.

Carbon71
12-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Well there is transmotion, but ive havent had great luck with that so far. I was hoping for other suggestions.

Cman
12-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Certainly wouldn't hurt to learn C4D.

Carbon71
12-01-2004, 06:04 PM
indeed, I need to. It may be some awhile though before I have enough time to really check it out (c4d).
Policarpo seems to love it.

pixel pusher
12-27-2004, 08:52 PM
The authors of the book "Killer Tips for Lightwave 8" claim this can be done using RPF
export - BUT- I challenge them to prove it! (if I can find a way to get in touch with them). I successfully got camera data from Lightwave into After Effects 6.5 but it didn't quite look right. It looked like the Y axis data was flipped or the scale was off - I'm not sure, and I didn't have the time to play around with it. I really hope this feature can be worked out, but I'm not sure where to turn - I'll keep hoping

Cman
12-28-2004, 12:05 AM
transmotion is probably your best shot right now.

Andres_cg
12-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Go to http://www.mindspring.com/~schleicher/

Look in the After Effects Tuts section. In there, about 2/3 of the way down the page, it's a big *** page, you'll find a tut on exporting Rla's with the camera data embeded.

Hope this helps.

Carbon71
12-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks Andres_cg.

Those are some great tuts BUT I've already read those on importing Z depth info. They are NOT on camera position stuff.

Yeah I've tried transmotion. Got some wierd results. Im not about to buy something unless it's rock solid or at least some better tuts and documentation on it.

It's this kind of thing that makes me was to look more at cinema 4d that will actually export camera postion data easily. In fact it exports AE project files.

*Sigh*

Mylenium
12-29-2004, 01:12 PM
No, C4D does not export AE project files. The data is translated into an intermediate format and then translated again using a special import plugin that makes use of some internal features of AE. Still, it works so smoothly you really want to have a copy of C4D just for that handy. TransMotion isn't very reliable since it doesn't seem to be taken care of anymore. Ever since its first inception quite a lot of things have changed in AE.

BTW, all this talk about RLA and RPF is getting nobody nowhere. The only such files that can be succesfully used to extract camera data into AE are the ones from 3DSMax and Maya. All other progs seem to spit out useless nonsense.

If anybody has the wits, it would be the wisest choice to write an AE script that parses the LW scene file (which is simple text). We have tried, but unfortunately LW's scene format is so poorly documented it seems impossible to even get the simplest thing to work. Also there is some major code required to re-interpred keyframe interpolation. Maybe we'll give it another shot when we have time again and figured out a way to do it.

Mylenium