PDA

View Full Version : The Devils in the batch capture!

Paul Brunson
11-30-2004, 04:49 PM
OK...am I the only one that has to get psyched up, listen to awesome music, say a prayer etc before using VT3's batch capture? I've been working with batch capture for the last week. I swear the thing is possessed! Using it is like trying to run an obstacle course. I've run into bug after bug.

I've been thinking about building a list of the bugs I've seen. But I'm interested to know if anyone else has to fight tooth and nail while working with it. I'm also wondering if the batch capture has been improved in VT4.

The bugs all seem to be mostly in the interface of batch capture. I'm wondering if graphics card drivers might cause some issues. I'm using a Geforce FX5200 with the latest nvidia drivers.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Jim Capillo
11-30-2004, 05:03 PM
OK...am I the only one that has to get psyched up, listen to awesome music, say a prayer etc before using VT3's batch capture? I've been working with batch capture for the last week. I swear the thing is possessed! Using it is like trying to run an obstacle course. I've run into bug after bug.

I've been thinking about building a list of the bugs I've seen. But I'm interested to know if anyone else has to fight tooth and nail while working with it. I'm also wondering if the batch capture has been improved in VT4.

The bugs all seem to be mostly in the interface of batch capture. I'm wondering if graphics card drivers might cause some issues. I'm using a Geforce FX5200 with the latest nvidia drivers.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Yes, VT[4] is improved in most every area - well worth the investment....... and small, if you do software only.

Depending on your computer specs, the nvidia drivers have indeed given some fits - me included. I had to go back to ver 45.33 (I think) for a long time because of inconsistencies in VT operation.

For the money, I'd try VT[4] first.

SCS
11-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Batch capture (as far as Marking In and Out buttons are concerned) is broke in VT4
Supposedly Newtek will have a fix in the next patch.

eon5
12-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Batch capture VT4: import edl works fine ?

yes or not please :confused:

tkx

bradl
12-02-2004, 08:17 AM
OK...am I the only one that has to get psyched up, listen to awesome music, say a prayer etc before using VT3's batch capture? I've been working with batch capture for the last week. I swear the thing is possessed! Using it is like trying to run an obstacle course. I've run into bug after bug.I use BC several times a week and I agree with your sentiment. If you are very careful, don't make any bad entries, don't decide to change your mind, don't use cut and paste, don't abort a capture gone bad, etc. etc. it works fine ;)

Honestly, I have learned to live with the restrictions fairly well but wish it was improved. The biggest problem (besides the TC entry being broken in VT4) is that sometimes it gets a mind of it's own and TC's start changing. Sometimes the line you are on, sometimes several events above all start 'crapping' out. This usually happens when, you abort, redo or update an event. The naming method also can cause us headaches sometimes. What is in the list is not exactly what is on the disk- auto numbering problems- 001, 002, etc. Along those lines I have found that using numbers in the name is not good.

Lastly, DF TC can cause problems. Times that fall on DF minutes drops back to 28 frames. It should either go to 29 or 02, not 28! I really wish there were a few more DF options like every other editor ever made and, of course, NDF option as well.

Paul Brunson
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
You just named many of the bugs that I've seen. I've seen it get the timecode messed up and the only way to correct has been to type it in by hand. Because marking in and out doesn't work all the time. The renaming thing drives me insane! What kills me is when batch capture is running and I try to rename a clip. Even if I try to rename the thing in a filebin. The stupid batch capture resets it for me. And the incremental number is a great idea. But for heaven's sake it shouldn't go around renaming a bunch of your clips if your trying to rename just one. It should only increment when your adding a new clip. Not when your renaming!
I agree if you simply don't make any mistakes and proceed with caution it is possible to use batch capture. But if there is anyway I can get away without using it I do. Personally I've found that it helps to avoid using the mouse with the batch capture like the plague. It seems to frag less if you use arrow keys and shortcuts.

I guess to put it in perspective, I've managed to keep my sanity working with batch capture. But a fellow worker the other day tried to use it for about an hour. After much shouting and screaming he threw his hands in the air and refuses to go near it.

bradl
12-04-2004, 09:20 PM
...after much shouting and screaming he threw his hands in the air and refuses to go near it... hey, that was me! Do you work here? :)

I have been seen shouting at the thing on several occasions, glad to hear I am not alone or going insane...

tmon
12-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I've probably been reported to the Human Resources Department for the tirades that have launched because of BC problems. And this is just in VT[3]...:p

The biggest problem (besides the TC entry being broken in VT4) is that sometimes it gets a mind of it's own and TC's start changing.

I have enough problems with my own mind to worry about! I think I'll hold off on that upgrade/install for now....sorry to hear you folks are having to go through this "beta testing." VT[4.1} here I come?

Lastly, DF TC can cause problems. Times that fall on DF minutes drops back to 28 frames. It should either go to 29 or 02, not 28! I really wish there were a few more DF options like every other editor ever made and, of course, NDF option as well.

I'm not an engineer, but from an editor's view, this has been one of the most glaring weaknesses in the NLE component of the VT suite: Poor implementaion of full and reliable SMPTE TC suport, in all of its flavors.

Message to NewTek: THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY OUR SHOP AND OTHERS ARE LOOKING AT SPENDING PRECIOUS CAPITAL ON AN FCP SOLUTION!!!!!

I know that I am not the primary target market for this product, but I keep hoping...wishing...begging....

Please? :(