PDA

View Full Version : lathe tool

Leprechaun
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
when u lathe something how can u make it so that it doesnt have so many polygons? In the numeric panel iknow u can select howmany sides u want it to have but when u make it , the amount of vertical polygons is very high.

Hoopti
11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
The verticals i believe are determined by the number of points you're using to create the shape you lathe.

Silkrooster
11-30-2004, 08:02 PM
I thought that my self, however creating a three point spline yeilded an object with several points instead of the three. Therefore I think it has to do with curve divisions or patch divisions in the general options panel.
Silk

hrgiger
11-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Yeah, don't use curves, it'll make a lot of polygons to match that curve depending on what level it's set at. Use a polygon or individual points.

Silkrooster
11-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Well I did a little experiment, to see what the catch is. If you use the pen tool, then Hoopti is correct, the number of points make up the horizontal vertices.
However if you are using a spline then the number of points are interpreted to keep the curve. To show this create a curve, freeze it, delete some points and you will see the line between the points is straight instead of curved. I suppose you could justify deleting points if your going to sub patch.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I just tried making a three point object using points instead of a spline and use close curve. Hrgiger is correct you do end up with less vertices.
I do think that making this variable in the lathe tool would be a nice feature to put on the wish list.
Silk