PDA

View Full Version : Remember that song "The day the dongle died"

riki
11-30-2004, 06:05 AM
My dongle died the other day and is currently in transit back to the distributor, hopefully for a replacement without much fuss.

Anyway I've been told by the good people from New Magic, that if it gets lost in transit, I'm basically screwed. ps excuse the French. Well I sent it registered mail so I guess I get a refund of $100 bucks if it does go missing. Which strikes me as a bit of a liability on top of the inconvenience.

I'm sure I'll get a replacement back in a few days without any trouble, but I don't appreciate the hassle and worry.

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 06:22 AM
What if you're in a tight deadline? [edited by moderators]

If it happened to me now, I would be in deep Sh*t! I have a deadline December 23rd..

Do you have any clue for the cause of death?

CSI, Dongle... he he :D

did you plug/unplug it a lot? or did it just exploded some time during a coffee break?

riki
11-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Naaah I never touch it. It's just plugged in permanently to my machine at home. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes Layout runs in Discovery and Modeler is normal. Anyone else had this problem?

ingo
11-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Well i'm not anyone but this has happend to me only with FormZ decades ago. When i asked my dealer he quickly send me his dongle so i continued the other day, the replacement came a few days later. So it pays off to have a good dealer and maybe pay a little more, but you're on the safe side. I#M not sure though if it works the same with LW.

Zarathustra
11-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Sorry bro. I've said numerous times there should be a speedier process for dongle shipments. I'm one of those guys who still have the Mac only dongle. One of the reasons I haven't swapped it for the duo dongle is the down time I'd experience.

Riki - there's no shipping options where you can insure for more then $100?

Okay, crazy idea... why can't you receive a new dongle and THEN ship the old one to NT? Maybe if NT doesn't receive it within a set time (10 days?) then they bill your CC for a new copy of LW. Maybe you don't get the license# until they receive the old dongle? Just throwing out ideas.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the dongle. Now you've put a new worry in my head. The thought never occurred to me that the little guy could ever stop working. Geez.

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Now you've put a new worry in my head. The thought never occurred to me that the little guy could ever stop working. Geez.

Yeah.. since this thread I check the little green light on my dongle every hour or so.. it's not that I'm paranoid.. but... if it goes out, I WILL GO INSANE!!!

I had my scare today allready.. (power failure in the house) Boem! black screen during the middle of a dense tough scene, and a nasty boom from the soundsystem. First thing I did, check my dongle :D you would be surprised how much a powermac is worth without the power! if you cut out the top metal plate, .. a trashcan.. perhaps!

monovich
11-30-2004, 04:52 PM
my dongle died because I somehow bent it and it broke. I took an old After Effects Pro dongle that I didn't need (it doesn't use a dongle anymore) and swapped the LW guts into the AE dongle. viola! it worked great.

the same dongle is now dying again, but I scratched some oxidization of the contacts with an exacto knife and it works better now.

-s

shaol
11-30-2004, 06:04 PM
No die but replaced with usb dongle took about a week 3 therer 1 day or 2 to process ten 3 back from what I can remember

Ge4-ce
12-01-2004, 01:02 AM
my dongle died because I somehow bent it and it broke. I took an old After Effects Pro dongle that I didn't need (it doesn't use a dongle anymore) and swapped the LW guts into the AE dongle. viola! it worked great.

the same dongle is now dying again, but I scratched some oxidization of the contacts with an exacto knife and it works better now.

-s

After, C.S.I dongle, now Mcdongler!

But I do question if you would ever get such a dongle replaced by Newtek...(for free, or shipping cost)

My imagination sees the following:

-"HEY Newtek, my dongle died! you need to replace it!!"

°Excuse me sir, but where's the original dongle cover? you broke the tiny practically invissible warranty seal, but it was there, so you're busted!

- But Newtek, this IS the original dongle!! (rolleyes, and some drops of sweat on the forehead)

°NT: Wel how do you explain the different color, and the 3 inches of ducktape in where I am suppossed to find the dongle?

- I can't believe this!! it is MY dongle that broke! and now you are going to punish me? Is that what you call service?? I will switch to Maya!

°But sir, you cannot possibly expect that..

- I payed 1700 bucks for software that does not work!!! how about that!

°...

Seems familiar??? we have this kind of situations all the time in our store (photostore) things like "You said it was WATERPROOF" no I said, "Rainproof"
"You said SHOCKPROOF" no I said " has a better cover then the other ones :rolleyes:

Once, we had a customer, who's cellphone died. And as always, he did nothing with it, that you shouldn't do with a cellphone... "You sure?" "YES, absolutely"
so we send it in for repair. Afterwards, the tech company sends us a fax that they found Sh*it on the tiny logicboard!! (no kidding here)

the customer admidded that the cellphone went down the toilet and ended up in the tank. (I don't know the english word for it, it's not the sewers, but a tank that has to be emptyd every year or so)

riki
12-01-2004, 01:13 AM
well my dongle's on it's way back "whew!" not here yet though but should be right. Will also be getting a Duo Dongle so I guess I need to update Licence key or something. How does that work again?? Through Newtek rego panel I'm guessing??

Chuck
12-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Geez, guys, I think we're going to have to clean this thread up a bit, but beats me where to start editing. ;)

However, I think I know where to start answering...

-s

If your NewTek hardware ends up broken, no matter how, just call us and we'll repair or replace it. Don't go packing it into other dongle cases, etc. We've repaired or replaced hardware that came to all manner of outrageous ends; back when I was in tech support and doing double duty in repair we had an Amiga VT card come through mashed up and with tire tracks on it - we replaced it at no charge. We're like, seriously crazy after all.

Given the condition that your dongle is now in, I think sooner rather than later would be good. Drop me an email or a PM with your email addy, and I'll have tech support get in touch with you, or you can email [email protected] directly. Last time I checked, you can request a cross-ship if you need no down-time.

Ge4-ce
12-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Geez, guys, I think we're going to have to clean this thread up a bit, but beats me where to start editing. ;)

Hey.. ehm.. Chuck.. about the 300 illegal licences.. I WAS joking allright? ;)

Personally, I think I'm about the only student I know of having an official Lightwave 3D licence! (wich I am pretty proud off as well) (to bad they did not ship it with a Newtek-Tshirt... My teacher used to get them when he bought several licences... (HINT) :)

riki
12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Okay I've plugged the new dongle in but still launching in Discovery Mode, but now with a message that my Licence Key was not found. Also noticed that the product Lock number has changed. Question is how do I update this info in the Registration section of Newtek site, can I do it myself or do I need to contact Newtek??

ingo
12-02-2004, 01:59 AM
No, Newteks registration site is only fake :D Of course you can do it yourself, you get the new license number by email later (how fast depends on Chuck's mood ;) ).

riki
12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
There's no 'EDIT' or 'DELETE' option in the registration panel, which means you can't edit or delete your current registration details, and you can't register a product with the same serial number twice.

So just how exactly do you do it yourself?

ingo
12-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Well i registered to Newtek Europe, so no problem, i just clicked on the register button in the Lightwave register program (on a Mac). Otherwise you should have a new dongle ID, that should make it different despite the same serial number. <- means i have no clue how it works.

riki
12-02-2004, 05:40 AM
i have no clue how it works.

Yeah I know, I worked that out already myself. ps excuse the sarcasim

I also originally registerred my copy of lightwave throught the Newtek Registration Panel, no problems. But that's not the issue here.

Yes I have a new Dongle ID, but that's not much help becuase the registration process requires you to first enter your serial number, that's step one, before you can do anything else. But since my serial number has already been registerred it spits me out and I don't get taken to step two. "This serial number has already been registerred!"

The system has not been setup to let you edit your registration details. On top of this I also have FPrime and UVEditPro to worry about. A real pain in the proverbial.

riki
12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Okay I contacted Custommer Support and the updated my registration details but still haven't updated the Product Lock ID for UV Edit Pro. Even though I specifically asked.

No it doesn't surprise me.

Zarathustra
12-02-2004, 05:54 PM
They're do you a favor. UVEP is a mess.

exit6
12-03-2004, 12:44 AM
This is a scary thread. When will the dongle finally pass into memory??? If mine died, with my deadlines, man. I'd be screwed.

riki
12-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Well one trick I've learnt which I didn't mention earlier. If you get the Duo Dongle replacement and you've previously registerred the mac version for example, you can register the PC version with the new Product Lock ID and it will work on the Mac.

Well it worked for me this time but of course I can't do this again becuase I've got them both registerred now.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Tech Support on transferring the product Lock for UVEdit Pro (yeah yeah I know Dave) and haven't even contacted Worely yet.

Chuck
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Riki, I know it is difficult to be patient, but in doing the trick you describe above with the PC entry for a Duo dongle you have in fact introduced an error into the registration database that would prevent you from properly registering on a PC if we didn't go in and clean it up - which we will, now that we know about it.

Our system allows the user to register a new product, but not to modify the registration entries. We reserve that for staff, for a variety of reasons. This does mean that a dongle replacement or exchange is going to require intervention from our services staff, or in future from services staff at your regional distributor, as we are working to implement a system for their staff to service their customers, which will mean service availability even outside of the office hours provided by the US office.

I checked with our CS Manager this morning and she was already aware of your issues and has worked with New Magic to get them resolved.

Chuck
12-03-2004, 10:21 AM
This is a scary thread. When will the dongle finally pass into memory??? If mine died, with my deadlines, man. I'd be screwed.

Both the US office and our regional distributors make provision to insure quick replacement in the event of emergency. The US Office repair policies and procedures are posted on this website - if you use the Customer Care /Technical Support link you will find the information here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=2885#post2885

and you will note this paragraph:

LightWave 3D Hardware Key Exchange:

Customers can elect for cross-ship exchange of a failed hardware key, if they wish faster service than simply returning the hardware key for repair. NewTek must receive the failed hardware key within 10 working days of the date the cross-ship is issued, customer is responsible for the cost of shipping.

Chuck
12-03-2004, 10:30 AM
No, Newteks registration site is only fake :D Of course you can do it yourself, you get the new license number by email later (how fast depends on Chuck's mood ;) ).

Hasn't depended on my mood for a few years now! :)

Chuck
12-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Sorry bro. I've said numerous times there should be a speedier process for dongle shipments...Okay, crazy idea... why can't you receive a new dongle and THEN ship the old one to NT? Maybe if NT doesn't receive it within a set time (10 days?) then they bill your CC for a new copy of LW.

As quoted in my post above, that is the policy for repair exchanges for the US - we ship you the replacement, you return the failed dongle within 10 days.

I'm one of those guys who still have the Mac only dongle. One of the reasons I haven't swapped it for the duo dongle is the down time I'd experience.

If downtime is a concern, simply let the CS staff know and they will work out an option for you.

mrunion
12-03-2004, 12:16 PM
...use the Customer Care /Technical Support link you will find the information here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthr...p=2885#post2885

and you will note this paragraph:

Did any of you read the small print at the end of that post? I think that's awsome, NewTek! LOL! :D

riki
12-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks Chuck

I'm back up and running again now, the update for UVEditPro came through last night. Sorry about the mix up with the database. Did that get fixed up okay?

exit6
12-04-2004, 02:00 PM
oth the US office and our regional distributors make provision to insure quick replacement in the event of emergency. The US Office repair policies and procedures are posted on this website - if you use the Customer Care /Technical Support link you will find the information here:

Well I got a 404 at that link, but the point is if my dongle died the night before I was supposed to deliver, I'd be dead meat, no matter how quickly you replaced it. Isn't there another way? I understand you guys are concerned about piracy, and rightly so. It wasn't long ago that I had so many serial port dongles that we needed a dongle caddy. But at this point, I only have one -- for Lightwave.

riki
12-04-2004, 08:37 PM
uuuuggh, Rounder has stopped working for me as well, it was tied to my old Dongle. I need to get that sussed as well. I just wish this process could be a whole lot less painful.