PDA

View Full Version : Slow scene loading on a screaming machine???

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 03:27 AM
Ok, I have a scene to load, (data see below)

It takes 5 minutes to load the scene! after that, the machine screams and acts normal.

I have a Dual G5 2.0 Ghz, with 2.5 GB ram, and an nVidia 6800 Ultra.

is this normal?

jdavidbakr
12-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I have a scene with a huge poly count and very big images for textures that takes a long time to load... I think the image textures are more at fault in my case than the ppoly count, because it seems to be related to the OpenGL initialization. You've got a million polys there, that's pretty taxing... I had an object that became a million polys and I couldn't do anything with it in modeler without seriously paring it down, and it would take forever to load. I would imagingine layout would have a similar effect to that poly count.

Ge4-ce
12-02-2004, 03:40 PM
The polycount is not really the issue, because it's a scene with a lot of objects and an envirement..

-edit- If it were the polygons, every move with the camera etc. would put the system in the running, but once the scene is loaded, everything runs very very smooth!
-

to be more precise,

an envirement and a bunch of 28 fully boned, IK chained mosquitos. all animated and equiped with morphmaps and sliders.

but basically, it's the same mosquito, copied 28 times.

Something tells me it's the IK that takes the calculationtime... But I don't know for sure.

jdavidbakr
12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Very well could be the IK, I had a scene where I had a bunch of duplicated objects using bones and IK, and ended up doing morph targets instead because of the huge tax on the resources. Also remember, even though it's a duplicated object, each instance takes up the full amount of memory... LW doesn't do instancing (a fact that has been brought up many times on this list and we will all rejoice when it does ;) )

Ge4-ce
12-11-2004, 03:40 AM
I seem to have found something new!!

I use the "load items from scene command" a lot..

Well, I noticed that my scene files started to grow! (to 200MB a piece!!) wich I found very weird..

Then when I loaded my scene, I wonderd why it is taking so long..

The first 5 minutes of a scene loading consisted only out of "Loading plugins, loading plugin settings!"

Now I thought.. WAIT A MINUTE.. and went to look in my master plugin window..

I found there something weird..

I found 25 Sceneeditor plugins
25 spreadsheeteditor plugins

I deleted them.

Now my scene is back to 225 KB!!!!!!

and the loading and saving is like.. BLAM! Back to normal (instantanious!!!)

My question then is..

How come that all those plugins get there in the first place???

My first guess is, that it has something to do with "load items from scene" and that LW loads all the plugins as well.. But that's just shooting in the dark..

mgrusin
12-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Take a look at Kevman's scene cleaner (currently mentioned on the frontpage of Flay (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=2077)). I haven't needed it (yet), but it sure sounds like you do. ;)

-MG.

Ge4-ce
12-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanx a lot!! That's just what I needed!!

mgrusin
12-11-2004, 11:04 AM
You bet, but thank the K-man (he's around here somewhere). :D

I've been having my own scene-saving problems with 8 (different problem - seems to "forget" some texture settings). So methinks there are a few bugs left.

I just want to know how a few plugins grow to 200MB... :eek:

-MG.