PDA

View Full Version : Free High Quality textures ?

Sx2
11-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey everyone, im workin on my first project and im recreating my oakleys. Well i made the lenses basically. I want to make the outer rim around them but im not really sure how to do it. I usually make points aroud it and then set make as polygon but it makes it into one big polygon so that i cant change the outside color diff from the tinted glass. Please help asap.

Silkrooster
11-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Don't forget to check your presets. You will find a chrome finish there. Just open your surface editor then open presets by WINDOW>PRESETS... or F8 and select metals from the drop down list. Double click on the icon and select yes when ask if you wish to load preset.
Make sure you have the correct surface selected in the surface editor before applying the preset.
Silk

Sx2
11-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Thx alot silkrooster u seem to help me along with everyone else alot. I edited my post to my new prob so i didnt have to create a new one =)

Silkrooster
11-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Here is a link to Darkling's shader plug in. They have some free shaders that are excellent textures that you can use. The plugin and shaders are free. The only thing that you may need to worry about is that the license for the shaders does not allow you to resell the shaders. An example of what I mean, you can render an image and sell that. But you can not create a model and sell the model using those textures. Darkling (http://www.darksim.com/html/simbiontlw.html)

Silkrooster
11-29-2004, 08:25 PM
I may have an idea for your rim. Create a disc, give it some height. Select the points on one side, delete the points. Select the polygon, make sure you select the center of the poly so you don't select any of the side. Delete the poly. Give it a surface name. You now have a round 2-point poly chain that you can texture.

If you want a thicker disk, you can create a disc with height and just delete the two end polys. Now just copy the disc, paste it and flip the polys. To give it thickness, select all polys and use smooth shift.
Silk

Sx2
11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Dear silk thx for the help but i have a couple questions about ur sugestions. U told me to make a disc so i did and u said delete the points on one side ? Do you mean when i go into wireframe mode I see all the points should i delete a whole side so its like a half circle? You also told me to click the center of the polygon and delete it. i dont really understand if you mean the polygon i created to it has enough points to make the disc. And fnally Im supposed to name the surface. How do i do that? Thanks alot for the help Im just starting out

Silkrooster
11-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Ok, when you use the disc tool, you can create a flat disc or one that is extruded. In one of the wire frame windows, you can see points that make up both ends of the disc. By deleting the points on one end you end up making a 2 point poly chain.
If you created just a flat disc and selected the poly you would end up deleting the entire disc. But by extruding the disc first, you kind of convert that disc.
Once you have deleted all the points at one end of the extruded disc, you end up with a flat disc again. But this time you have a round poly and a poly chain going around that center poly. By deleting that center poly you end up with just that poly chain. This chain is nothing more than multiple single lines making up a circle. This chain is a chain of 2 point polys, that is a line is drawn from one point to the next point, then a new line is drawn. This continues until the circle is complete. So it is posible to select any line of that circle and delete it to make an open circle.
To name the surface for the circle, goto poly mode for selecting polys, select the entire circle, press q then give the surface a name. Now you can use the surface editor to adjust the textures of that circle. To use the surface editor press F5.
Here are a couple of web sites I want you to check out:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm - A lot of tutorials are found at this site.
http://www.flay.com/LinksByCategory.cfm?CategoryID=3 - This site also has a lot of plugins listed so make the home page one of your favorites on your browser.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html - Newtek's site has a lot of tutorials as well.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/demos.html - Check out these demo video's on LW8 they can show how to do a few things as well.
Lastly check out the community forum from time to time and look for posts by Proton, he post video tutorials there all the time. Oh, check his web site it is at http://www.spinquad.com/forums/ .
In the mean time any more questions feel free. If I can't answer I know someone else will.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Here is a link from the community forum from proton about two point polys.ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/2point_CD.mov
Silk

Sx2
12-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok i got it to extrude and i deleted all of one side now its a line with points all the way thru. This is where i get lost. You said i should delete the center one. I dont understand how to put a hole in the disc. And What view modes should i be in for the quadrants? Thx

Silkrooster
12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Ok I create a quicktime file to show the steps. There is no audio. Plus this is my first video tutorial. To recap what is done.
I create a disc, extrude it, select the points on one end, press the delete key to remove those points, I then select the poly and delete that with the delete key.
Once you get this under your belt, your more likely to find other uses for it, so hang in there.
Silk

Silkrooster
12-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I can not get the zip file to up load, there must be a file size limit. I'll see what I can do to get it placed elsewhere.
Silk

Sx2
12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Thx alot ill be lookin forward to that

Silkrooster
12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Well I ended up creating a wmv file. Compresses a whole lot more than avi's or mov files do. So if you have Windows XP you should be all set, If you own a mac or an earlier version of windows you may have to goto Microsofts web site to down load a codec or the player. This file is a version 9 video file with audio. Hopefully this time it will upload. I have my fingers crossed.
Silk

Sx2
12-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Can i make it have more points even tho its a pre built circle? It will make the frame more realistic. Also the frame is real skinny. I can the back but i wanna extrude it down when looking in the front. Not just the back outwards? Is it possible? Thx in advance.

Silkrooster
12-02-2004, 11:19 PM
When your creating a disc, you can adjust the number of sides or points in this case by using the numeric panel by pressing the lower cae n key. Just change the number where it says sides.
Now if you remember, I explained two ways to create your frame, this way and by create a disc extruded and just delete the ends. This can then be thickened by creating an inside using the copy and paste commands, then flipping those polys with the lowercase f key. Then using the smooth shift tool by pressing shift f key and draging toward the direction the polys are pointing.
One more note, you do not really have to increase the sides of the ring, if you turn on smoothing in the surface editor.
Silk

Silkrooster
12-03-2004, 12:44 AM
This video has no sound, having trouble recording audio, so I think you can get the idea. This video also recorded in wmv 9. Is an extruded disk made to be thicker.
Silk