PDA

View Full Version : Pricing query - advice needed please

adrian
11-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I have a potential client who wants me to video a fitness weekend and then edit it to 3 DVDs. Obviously I will be doing everything, including creating effects for the final video.

Question is, how much should I charge for this?

I have never done paid professional work before so I really don't know what to quote. I don't want to price myself out of the job but then again I don't want to quote too low either.

To clarify: I would be filming the whole thing over the course of a weekend, editing and creating the DVDs myself.

Any advice from you pros out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian.

koots
11-29-2004, 10:53 PM
i would say do this one for very Low. Basicly what is the lowest amount you will do this for... I only say that because you do not have any video's that you have done yourself. or nothing else to referance. If you do this is it goes great you will have a repeat customer, and he may even tell a few of his friends what a great job you did. and some of them might want to use you as well. Then you charge a little more... so on and so on. If you charge an average amount and your customer still thinks you did a good job, he might not talk about you so highly or to as many people. In the begining you have nothing to show him or wow him about being so good. So the only thing you can show him is price. If you want to make a business out of this, I would say that is your best bet. Hope this helped... sorry about any spelling or grammer. i am really tired and need to get some sleep... Too much work and I want to wait for this render to finish... good luck!
-Jonn

badllarma
11-30-2004, 12:58 AM
mileage 40 pence a mile
Tape , meals accmodation at cost
Shooting DV / DVcam (all the gear lights reflectors etc.. if needed) 300 - 1000 per day
Editing / DVD creation 25 - 50.00+ per hour

I would firstly ask yourself if you are up for this? :eek:

Have you seen any of the other videos the client has had done OR other people in the same business has had done? If not YOU really need to see them ASAP to see what type of or work is being expected.
Are you are shooting this alone? if you are I would have a second camera running on a tripod for a safety wide shot allowing yourself to go in and shot the detailed stuff, this basically gives you A) stuff to fall back on if things don't go to plan with the detailed shooting your doing B) allows for a second capture device for the sound at the location.

Finally we all start some where so if you have the confidence in your kit and your skills give it ago! Don't sell yourself short either :)

adrian
11-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to get back to him to see exactly what it is he requires.

I know I'm up to the post-production/DVD creation part, but reading what you said about the filming... hmmmm, well I only have 1 DV camcorder plus an older camcorder that I wouldn't like to trust as it's nearing the end of its' life (no extra lights/reflectors or anything like that) - so this aspect maybe not so confident. But if I know exaclty what he wants then we'll see....

Adrian.