PDA

View Full Version : So anything new with 6800 Ultra?

Zarathustra
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I've been away from here for a loooog time.
I know there's a workaround for Modeler, but what about Layout? Here's what I'm getting...
Shaded view (no, there is no fog in this scene)
http://magicanimation.com/nvidia/shade.jpg

Wire view
http://magicanimation.com/nvidia/wire.jpg

Frustrating, isn't it. What's really fun is when everything just disappears and I have to try zooming in or out or switching views and then back to make things magically re-appear. As far as I know there is no specific driver to download. The driver is built into Apple's periodic OS updates, right?

Chazz
11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, the only hope for driver updates is through an OS revision. The good news is that supposedly Tiger is getting a *huge* OpenGL update, which should make the 6800 a much better performer. So far, my 6800 only really speeds up games ;)

How big is that monitor?

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Yes, I have had the same problem. Also in Modeler.

Switching off "advanced wireframe and points "seems to help in Modeler

just waiting for better drivers I guess

Zarathustra
11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks Chazz.
I have 2 19" set to 1600x1200

munky
11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi there,

I've a 6800 ultra driving a 30" cinema display and a 17" nec multisync and all seems to be well. While it doesn't seem to be awsome it's a lot better than my old G4's gfarce4Ti. I can scroll through the LW firewalk sample at full screen size and it's only a teeny bit steppy. The only problem is that I've had to buy a small moped to get from one side of my screen to the other.
I had the white out in modeller and switching off "simple wireframe edges" solved the problem. I've had no grief in layout though and I can now turn on OpenGL multitexturing and it works which it didn't on my G4.

I'm using OSX 10.3.6 on a G5 2.5Ghz DP 4.5Gb ram with a 6800 ultra and a 30" cinema display. 17" multisync LW 8.0.1

Perhaps if you wanted to post the scene I would be happy to shove it in my mac and see if the display wierdness exists with my setup.

regards

paul

Zarathustra
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's because I'm using 7.5 (no alphabet extension)

Yeah, I do know about the Modeler "workaround" (the most infamous word in the LW lexicon).

Hmmm, catch-22: work in 7.5 and not see anything or work in 8 and see everything disapear if a zeroK bug pops up. :mad:

When I get done some of this crap I'll do proper testing and post results.
Thanks for the offer, Munky. I may get back to you.

Currently - G5 dual 2.5, 3.5gig ram, OS 10.3.6, LW 7.5

Ge4-ce
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
that ZeroK bug intriges me..

But I still don't get it! If you do "What" you get "What"?

If you just make a new scene, and save it. can you get into trouble?

if you press "s" can you get in trouble?

or is it when you press "S"(Shift s) that you can get into trouble?

It worries me quite a bit!

Zarathustra
12-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Just installed new update. Now running 10.3.7.
It feels faster. I can move through the scene and scrub and everything seems pretty responsive. The weird cut-off still did occur, but it's less often.

Hollow Earth
12-16-2004, 04:15 AM
i have something which appears to be similar to this in modeller with a 6800. when you up the polygon count the screen is liable to blank out. switching modes of view can clear it, as can zooming in and out a bit. tried that workaround, but found my setting was switched off already :o

roll on tiger! when is it out?

Zarathustra
12-16-2004, 03:28 PM
No, Layout is still messed up. Oh well.

exit6
12-17-2004, 07:39 AM
I have this exact problem all the time. I have a dual g5 with the stock graphics card (GeForce FX 5200) and a 20" cinema display. I've heard it's the card, but isn't there some backorder problem on the new ATI card?
I think I would shell out the dough at this point, this display thing drives me nuts. It always happens just when the scene starts to get complex, which is just when you need to see what's going on!

Zarathustra
12-17-2004, 07:47 AM
It's not even complexity with me. I get it with Pooby's scene:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=194619

Sometimes just by selecing certain bones, and zooming in or out doesn't fix it like usual. Switch selection to another bone or object, and it goes back to normal. Switch back, crap. How can I work like this?
REALLY frustrating.

I figured after the ATI problems last year I'd splurge this year and get a high powered card from nvidia. D a m n waste. I'm really annoyed. I want a third choice.

exit6
12-17-2004, 07:56 AM
So no improvements with the new card? That sucks. That was my beacon of hope. Maybe the new 10.3.7 will help?

Zarathustra
12-17-2004, 07:58 AM
I'm using 10.3.7

Xacto
12-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Ok, I just purchased a new graphic card for my g5 and yes its NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL... now I can not even use the Lightwave Modeler -the window views goes white when viewing in wireframe! Now I know it has been said that this is an AppleOS or Driver issue, but why is it that MODO and SILO have no problem what so ever with this card? I just hope this is not a sign that NewTek is not dedicated to the Macintosh Platform. :rolleyes:

Chazz
12-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Make sure you have 'Simple Wireframe Points' and 'Simple Wireframe Edges' checked in the display preferences in Modeler.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_6800ultra_review/LW_wireframeDisplaysettings.gif

Xacto
12-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Make sure you have 'Simple Wireframe Points' and 'Simple Wireframe Edges' checked in the display preferences in Modeler.

Thanks, it looks like it is working for now! :)

Hollow Earth
12-30-2004, 02:18 PM
http://forums.alias.com/[email protected]@.3baf6393/0

Zarathustra
12-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Yeah, you can get around the problem in Modeler, but not Layout. There's no magic button to push, setting change, etc that will make Layout stable.

I really don't know why there is a problem and also why it wasn't resolved with the latest OS update, which was supposed to have an updated nvidia driver. Total bollocks

exit6
01-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Although the fact that other 3D packages seem to have similar problems, it would be nice to know that Newtek is aware of this and is trying to do something to fix it. This is the kind of thing that really hurts productivity.

gatz
01-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I thought this was interesting. From the release of ATI's new X800 XT.

---------------------------------------------------
Apple's own Motion software, Luxology's Modo, Maya, Cinema 4D and Hash Animator are just a few examples of the content creation software that will yield improved performance with a faster 3D graphics card; as will any applications that support Tiger's forthcoming "Core Image" graphics architecture.
---------------------------------------------------

So are they dis'n LW or is this an acknowlegment that the LW's OGL interaction is less than it should be? I mean Hash Animator? Getting bumped by that minefield is just embarrassing.

rg

Zarathustra
01-07-2005, 10:27 AM
YIKE'S!!!

I've been willing to concede that Apple can be difficult to deal with for developers but that press release is alarming. Well, maybe it hinges on "Tiger's forthcoming 'Core Image' graphics architecture" and whoever is willing to implement optimizations for it rather then just taking pre-existing PC software and just getting it to run on Mac.

Or maybe it's Apple throwing a nod towards developers who have shown continued public support towards the Mac platform. No one openly supports or praises Mac like Luxology.

Interesting.