PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor with Radeon 9700 Pro

Samba
04-10-2003, 07:26 AM
I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro Graphic card on win2k and can't get LW work fine on a second screen: no OpenGl, graph editor and scrolling menus are all freezed on the second monitor.I think I've tried everything but maybe I've just missed some hidden setting or new driver ?

AlphaBeta
04-10-2003, 01:51 PM
sorry, but u are not missing a driver or any settings, I too have a radeon 9700 and was completely devastated when I bough a second LCD and could not get lightwave to work on both monitors.....

The problem is that when the card gets split into two monitors it does not pick up on lightwave's open Gl functions, its sad, but what are you going to do? I tried emailing ATI and they returned a response saying that it is the application and not the video card.......w/e I got pissed.

Also, it is supposedly a way to keep the memory more to one monitor/application, becuase if you have two monitors and two open Gl settings than the memory on the card would be split in half and lightwave would not run at full potential on both monitors.....

So yeah it isnt just you with this problem, and once you cry about it for about a month (like I did) you will just get accustomed to it and atleast be happy that you have a full 128 mb of ddr behind that one monitor(open Gl app)...

I found dual monitor to still be very useful for texturing in photoshop or using it to read a tutorial while acyually in lightwave( not having to close and reopen windows constantly).....

If Ati doesnt release a fixed driver I am sad to say that I will have to go to the nVidia side of video cards, they happen to be able to run lightwave on both monitors....

well anyways, hope that helped....

P.S the only way to get dual open Gl with the radeon is to buy a second video card that is PCI and hook your monitor up to that (although I believe PCI cards only go up to 32 mb and have fairly poor quality compared to AGP)... I know it's depressing....sorry for having to be the one to break the new to you...

to anyone who knows any better than what I have said, please correct me......but that is what I have found (sorry for any misleading information if i do happen to be wrong, although I have researched this thoroughly)

Samba
04-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks for this prompt answer, Adam. I'm gonna buy a cheap graphic card only to get graph editor work on the second screen and next upgrade I'll turn to nvidia.

AlphaBeta
04-11-2003, 09:15 AM
no problem, just remember to check what slots you have in your computer, cuz most only have 1 AGP and so tthat is where the radeon would be....If thats the case you have to buy a PCI card

yeah ive given some though to buying another card as well... never got enough initiative though.....I might buy it still, they are like $50 so I think I'll give it a shot

oh yeah and sorry I was wrong, they do make 64 mb PCI cards.....

the geforce 4 mx440 PCI (64 mb ddr) is going for about $100 US, unfortunately Im not sure if split screen would work if you got any brand other than ATI.....oh yeah and the pine tnt 2 32 mb sdram is about $50 US...

Aegis
04-12-2003, 06:15 PM
In theory - if you're using Win2K or XP it shouldn't matter mixing nVidia and ATI cards - the OS should handle the multi-monitor support.

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this though as I'm considering getting a Radeon 9500 (to soft-mod into a FireGL) and a cheap GF4MX PCI...

{G}
04-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey,

I hate to say this to you all, but my Radeon 9700 supports two monitors fine. I don't know why this is but it could lie in a stupid mishap. I recently bought a whole new system, and got a ASUS mainboard. I had serious hassles with this MBOARD and returned it for a Gigabyte board (because i did some hardware swapping and found Radeon's like Gigabyte boards)

Anyhow, in the process of trying to get the Radeon to work on the Asus board my friend told me he had had a similar problem. He remedied it by putting an old Nvidia Gforce1 in his machine and installing the drivers for it. He then shutdown the machine whacked in the Radeon (8500) and without adjusting the software it fixed the problem.

You may ask what's that got to do with my situation, well I tried the same process and even though I have swapped to the Gigabyte Mainboard, I didn't change Win XP, Vid Drivers or anything software like.

So it could be your mainboard or you could try the GForce Technique. I really don't know, after all hardware is a strange thing.

Maybe this will help. Hope you may benefit.

-{G}