PDA

View Full Version : Video Clips - FREE

kurv
11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Is there a place online to download some video clips for use as backgrouds, etc.

Just got my Toaster system and it is awesome!!! Cant wait to do more editing... oh and posting in the VT forum ;).

Thanks everyone!!

kurv -

Jim Capillo
11-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Is there a place online to download some video clips for use as backgrouds, etc.

Just got my Toaster system and it is awesome!!! Cant wait to do more editing... oh and posting in the VT forum ;).

Thanks everyone!!

kurv -

Check out the Prelinger Archives (http://www.archive.org/movies/movieslisting-browse.php?collection=prelinger)

Most of it is in B&W, but the best part is that they are in the public domain and they are free.

MPEG2 gives the best quality/filesize ratio - as long as you have broadband :eek:

You will have to resize once you get it on the timeline.

inquisitive
11-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I saw your post, and downloaded one of those mpeg files. WM9 plays it fine, VT4 crashes when attempting to load it into either VTEdit or DDR. File is 256mb in size.
Perhaps the file is just too large for VT4 to load (I have 512mb - guess its time to get more memory)

inquisitive
11-28-2004, 08:40 PM
i guess VT4 is not liking the files for some reason, downloaded a 80MB and it still crashes. i guess its time for tech support.

Jim Capillo
11-29-2004, 04:09 AM
i guess VT4 is not liking the files for some reason, downloaded a 80MB and it still crashes. i guess its time for tech support.

Weird, runs fine here.

MPEG2?

Paul Lara
11-29-2004, 06:03 AM
Main Concept, the maker of several fine CODECS, also offers some FREE online background texture loops (http://www.mainconcept.com/texture_loops.shtml) for download.

inquisitive
11-29-2004, 10:51 AM
It appears VT4 doesnt have an error routine that would detect if you dont have the appropiate codec. Thus it attempts to load something it cannot handle and it crashes.

This is probably a small bug. It should be able to give you some sort of message like 'error unable to load file due to missing codec' or something like that.

The Manual should also be corrected:
Page 3.24
VT[4] also supports all video file formats that can be played in Windows Media Player.

WMP9 can play the MPEG2 file but VT4 cannot.

Based on the above, I am assuming VT4 cannot play MPEG2 files right out of the box (unless you purchase some MPEG2 codec). Is this a correct assumption?

Jim Capillo
11-29-2004, 01:10 PM
WMP9 can play the MPEG2 file but VT4 cannot.

Based on the above, I am assuming VT4 cannot play MPEG2 files right out of the box (unless you purchase some MPEG2 codec). Is this a correct assumption?

Not sure what's going on with your machine, but as you can clearly see, mine plays mpeg2 just fine, albeit with the need to resize - see the PGM monitor. I solve that with a simple toolshed user preset.

:confused:

inquisitive
11-29-2004, 01:20 PM
yes, it is strange. (I have contacted tech support to see what suggestions they have)

I downloaded a MPEG1 clip and I am able to play those but not the MPEG2 (that WMP9 plays fine).

I am currently downloading the same clip you have ThisIsMy1940, we shall see in about 1hr.

Thanks

Jim_C
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
VTEDIT is not the most mpeg2 friendly player in the world.

Some can play mpeg2 naturally :confused:
Some can play them after downloading the Elecard codec :confused:
and some have never been able to play them at all :eek:

Instead of trying to play it on the timeline, rt clisk on it while it is in the filebin, choose render and convert it to DV Type2 or a RTV before you put it on the timeline.

See if it will convert it.

Jim Capillo
11-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm........ I've never installed any codecs (AFAIK) for mpeg2 playback. I have no idea why one machine plays it while another won't.

inquisitive
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Moving the VT4 / MPEG2 issue into its own post for visibility purposes.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=231391#post231391

Thanks

Rich Deustachio
11-29-2004, 02:27 PM
http://www.mainconcept.com/texture_loops.shtml

Here you can download free looping backgrounds. They post a few each month for free download but for $20 you can get the whole set on CD.

kurv
11-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!!!

Any other stuff I need to download and check out as a complete newbie to this VT stuff..?

Thanks again, and it is great being a VT owner!!

kurv -

LWOG
11-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Clips On Demand is a new company, selling massive amounts of useful royalty free stock footage for little bits of money - and it's Toaster Compatible..

We should have a free downloadable clip on the site within a week, and we'll be announcing something else next week as well...

Here's the URL - ClipsOnDemand.com

kurv
12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone these are awesome!!!